It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Las Vegas massacre: Now is not the time for gun control debate, White House says

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The reality is that a gun ban would never work. A lot of lives would be lost because of the people who would fight to the death to keep them.

Gun owners love to bring up cars, bats, etc are also capable of killing, which is true but they fail to mention those things are usually heavily regulated unlike guns, where every year the NRA and government make it easier for people to get guns.

For instance, just recently they made it easier for the mentally ill to have guns and are now working on making it easier for people to get silencers.

They say only a good guy with a gun can stop gun violence but the reality is that it is rare for that to happen. They also say a well armed society is a polite one which is another way of saying that a well armed society lives in fear of one another and do not want to say the wrong thing that would get them killed.
edit on 4-10-2017 by ShawnTBear because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ShawnTBear

I agree, an outright ban wouldn't work. It implies confiscation, sweeps, barricaded suspects, shootouts. Gun control advocates know this. Thats not their method. There method is infringement, one little bit at a time, like they been doing.

By the way, they are called suppressors, not silencers. On gasoline engines they are called mufflers, they don't silence, they 'muffle'. There are many ways to improvise a 'sound suppressor' , from empty soda bottles to a potato.

The NRA isn't "making it easier to get guns" either. The law makers make the laws, ever stricter, not more lenient.

Making guns legal for handicapped? I'm not even going to address that. These are media generated ideas, by people that have little understanding, taking the emotional route, instead of a reasoned one.

edit on 4-10-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Why is the gun crime rate so high in Chicago despite the strict gun laws? Has anyone answered that?

Because only criminals have firearms ?
Drive by shootings that dont discriminate between the children and the victim ?
Criminals usually have disregarded laws . Thats why they are called criminals

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian
a reply to: Xcathdra
As to the White House saying now is not the time to debate this, well actually now is exactly the time to debate it (for you Americans rather than the rest of us).

The reason this is not the time for a debate is that it's an emotional time. Important decisions need to be made logically, not emotionally.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
I used to think gun control was the answer. My research told me otherwise.

Gun control laws do not work with the only exception of them working against law abiding citizens. Australia, The United Kingdom and China all have very very strict gun control laws and all 3 countries still have gun crime.

2/3 of all US deaths attributed to guns are from suicide. The second largest group belongs to people killed in gang related violence.

What this guy did was illegal from top to bottom so no laws are going to prevent it since the laws already exist.

An armed population = citizens.
An unarmed population - subjects.

My fear is not from a guy going mental and randomly killing people. My fear is the the government succeeding in disarming the population. For an example of what can occur in that scenario I urge people to crack open a history book and study the rise of the 3rd Reich.

In the last 500 YEARS there have been THREE mass shootings in The U.K.

Now tell me again that Gun Control doesn't work.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Simplistic nonsense. The UK is not the US.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

The UK is not the US.

Correct.

The U.K. has gun control.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

originally posted by: Xcathdra
I used to think gun control was the answer. My research told me otherwise.

Gun control laws do not work with the only exception of them working against law abiding citizens. Australia, The United Kingdom and China all have very very strict gun control laws and all 3 countries still have gun crime.

2/3 of all US deaths attributed to guns are from suicide. The second largest group belongs to people killed in gang related violence.

What this guy did was illegal from top to bottom so no laws are going to prevent it since the laws already exist.

An armed population = citizens.
An unarmed population - subjects.

My fear is not from a guy going mental and randomly killing people. My fear is the the government succeeding in disarming the population. For an example of what can occur in that scenario I urge people to crack open a history book and study the rise of the 3rd Reich.

In the last 500 YEARS there have been THREE mass shootings in The U.K.

Now tell me again that Gun Control doesn't work.

Firearms are still owned privately in the UK, the laws are more stringent but that is not what makes the UK different. Fear of the government, routinely armed law enforcement and our neighbours is not the default mindset of the UK population. The ban on handguns in the UK has not prevented criminals using handguns to commit gun crime.

No other population on the planet has the same, or even a similar beliefs where private firearm ownership is concerned therefore all comparisons are invalid.
edit on 4-10-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

The ban on handguns in the UK has not prevented criminals using handguns to commit gun crime.

Unfortunately i have to say, criminals do not go out and shoot dead 50 plus people in 9 minutes.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

While grant you the time frame was insane, no doubt but like in real estate location location location, elevated position into a large open air location with people packed in nut to butt it was fish in a barrel.

As for the 50+ dead, we get that (or close to it) every single holiday weekend pretty much, in Chicago at least probably a couple of other big cities and nobody bats an eye.

I guess young black people killing each other is not as good a headline.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   
this thing is called everything but a terrorist attack.
we have massacre, gun event, shooting, incident, deadly attack, just never called a terrorist attack.

gunner was not shouting alluah blackbar... maybe that's why.
the man did have political motives.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I guess Liberal's really love us Trump supporters so much they don't want to risk us getting hurt. In Chicago 50-60 people a month get killed and they say nothing. Yup They really do love us and I would bet they are closet trump fans.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
"Now is the time to unite as a country."

I wish they would have gotten this memo to Trump a about 10 months ago.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

The ban on handguns in the UK has not prevented criminals using handguns to commit gun crime.

Unfortunately i have to say, criminals do not go out and shoot dead 50 plus people in 9 minutes.

Sadly, those intent on inflicting mass casualties most frequently resort to Vans and Bombs in the UK.

And if you really think that the criminal element (including Islamic terrorists) do not have access to - and actually possess - assault weapons which are (or can be converted to) automatic...then you are not well informed, or are choosing to ignore the obvious.

Just give it time, unfortunately, the UK will eventually experience its own Las Vegas, or Paris, tragedy.

A black Volkswagen Polo pulled up outside the Bataclan concert hall at 21:40 (20:40 GMT) on Friday 13 November, and three heavily armed gunmen got out. Less than three hours later they were dead, having killed 90 people at the venue and critically injured many others.

Gun Laws Don't Deter Murderers

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   

The UK gun crime rate is tiny.

And where gun crime does occur in the UK it's almost exclusively gang-on-gang crime.

Gun control was incredibly successful in the UK.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
I guess Liberal's really love us Trump supporters so much they don't want to risk us getting hurt. In Chicago 50-60 people a month get killed and they say nothing. Yup They really do love us and I would bet they are closet trump fans.

As I predicted some one was bound to pull Chicago out deh ass..u guys never disappoint, lemme guess Blk on Blk crime next?? Wht on wht crime exist not.??

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: mikell

As I predicted some one was bound to pull Chicago out deh ass..u guys never disappoint, lemme guess Blk on Blk crime next?? Wht on wht crime exist not.??

all crimes, wrongdoing, nationalist attacks, racist cops, mass murders, crime of passion are acceptable as long as Chicago is in the scale... where have you been...

at least i don't see the anti multi-culturalism-ists popping their heads out at all, nor is this a terrorist act... it's simply a 'massacre' by a 'lone gunman'

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Why is the gun crime rate so high in Chicago despite the strict gun laws? Has anyone answered that?

The laws are impossible to enforce by local police in Chicago.

It would take a full scale military operation to clean out the all the guns and criminals here.

Not that they aren't trying though ....

More Than 5,000 Illegal Guns Seized So Far In 2017: Chicago Police

and here's the local shooting stats by the hour.....

And today we expect the 500th kill shot of 2017 to happen.

Any minute now.

edit on Oct-04-2017 by xuenchen because: jackass

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: fritzM

originally posted by: Flavian
As to the White House saying now is not the time to debate this, well actually now is exactly the time to debate it (for you Americans rather than the rest of us).

The reason this is not the time for a debate is that it's an emotional time. Important decisions need to be made logically, not emotionally.

Or not at all. Yes, it"s never a good time to evaluate the role of guns in the "American carnage" described by the President in his inaugural address.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

That is more down to the fact that semi/fully automatic weapons are virtually impossible to obtain in the UK. That does not mean it can't happen, but when you consider the level of crime with fully/semi automatic in the US, the chances of the same thing happening in the UK falls to almost nil.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join