It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sometimes bad people do bad things

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

It's about being aware that what you did is wrong, no matter why you did it.

The woman you talked about absolved herself of wrongdoing. She justified her behavior (to prove or show to be just, right, or reasonable). When the very definition of the word you use is the antithesis of the concept we're discussing (good/bad, right/wrong, good/evil), then you are talking about someone who feels no guilt for her theft.

In order to think something is bad or wrong, you have to feel some degree of guilt, but if you feel that you are justified for the greater good in stealing, then you have none.

This makes her worse than someone who steals in desperation and knows they have stolen and feels guilt and remorse because they know what they did was still wrong.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: ketsuko

Stealing out of desperation to feed one's family is worse??

You believe that?

True, stealing in and of itself is wrong, but doesn't the reason ultimately and universally justify the action if the reason is justified?

Do you believe in self defense when it involves the taking of another life over your own?

Stealing out of desperation may be necessary, but stealing is still wrong.

Do you agree or disagree with that?

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I think that there are truly evil/bad/wrong people.

Not everyone can be as wonderful as me.

See.

See how easily people can justify their beliefs in their own mind?

Good and evil are subjective.

True.

Any one of us posting can be an evil psychopath.

How do we determine who isn't?

How can you determine who is good or evil when we cannot even provide an universally-accepted definition of evil?

Maybe that's part of what's wrong in our culture.

No one can agree what is evil.

And we shouldn't agree. "Evil" doesn't mean anything in regards to right or wrong, or even the law.

Evil is a religious and emotional term that has no place in a logical or rational discussion.

Evil works better as an adjective rather than a noun. It isn’t a person place or thing and it is a mistake to even frame the discussion around the word as such. Rather, “what is evil” has been defined by tradition and custom, the collective wisdom of generations, which in democratic societies means through a process of trial and error.

What’s irrational and illogical and subjective is to dismiss it based on a whim.

It’s not subjective. A subjective view of evil would entail calling it meaningless and dismissing it outright.
edit on 3-10-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   

As I said, when you see evil, you just know it.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

You believe that?

True, stealing in and of itself is wrong, but doesn't the reason ultimately and universally justify the action if the reason is justified?

Do you believe in self defense when it involves the taking of another life over your own?

I already said stealing in and of itself is wrong.

As an absolute.

Point was, is one reason more wrong than another, which seemed to be suggested.
edit on 3-10-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

You believe that?

As an absolute.

Then of two people who steal in desperation, which would you consider worse:

1. The person who feels justified in doing it.

2. The person who does it out of necessity but feels guilt because they know it's wrong.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

As I said, when you see evil, you just know it.

There are actually people walking around this world upright
saying they don't believe evil exists?

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

edit on 3-10-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
There is/was no justification for the act that the man committed.

Therefore, I feel comfortable calling his actions evil.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   

It's about being aware that what you did is wrong, no matter why you did it.

So if you do that wrong act knowing it is wrong, even though the intent is of feeding your family, they are evil?

The woman you talked about absolved herself of wrongdoing. She justified her behavior (to prove or show to be just, right, or reasonable). When the very definition of the word you use is the antithesis of the concept we're discussing (good/bad, right/wrong, good/evil), then you are talking about someone who feels no guilt for her theft.

How do we know such the person absolved herself of wrongdoing or does not feel guilt? Perhaps she did it because she knew that was the last resort she had to feed a family?

Is that wrong? Yes.

Is that evil?

Of course not.

In order to think something is bad or wrong, you have to feel some degree of guilt, but if you feel that you are justified for the greater good in stealing, then you have none.

If I had to steal to feed my family, I would feel guilty, but I would be justified in that my act saved a life.

Again, is that evil?

This makes her worse than someone who steals in desperation and knows they have stolen and feels guilt and remorse because they know what they did was still wrong.

What?

She is stealing out of desperation.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

See.

True.

How can you determine who is good or evil when we cannot even provide an universally-accepted definition of evil?

And we shouldn't agree. "Evil" doesn't mean anything in regards to right or wrong, or even the law.

Evil is a religious and emotional term that has no place in a logical or rational discussion.

Evil works better as an adjective rather than a noun. It isn’t a person place or thing and it is a mistake to even frame the discussion around the word as such. Rather, “what is evil” has been defined by tradition and custom, the collective wisdom of generations, which in democratic societies means through a process of trial and error.

What’s irrational and illogical and subjective is to dismiss it based on a whim.

It’s not subjective. A subjective view of evil would entail calling it meaningless and dismissing it outright.

The word "evil" means nothing in regards to reality.

Can you state any law in which the level of evil can be measured and applied to the act a person committed?
edit on 3-10-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   

You believe that?

As an absolute.

Then of two people who steal in desperation, which would you consider worse:

1. The person who feels justified in doing it.

2. The person who does it out of necessity but feels guilt because they know it's wrong.

Neither.

3. The person who steals because he or she can, as an opportunist and not out of perceived desperation.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

There is/was no justification for the act that the man committed.

Therefore, I feel comfortable calling his actions evil.

There is a whole host of things that make it evil. It was murder; it was the murder of many; it was the murder of many innocents; its indiscriminate meaninglessness, senselessness and irrationality; it was cowardly; it was during a time of joy and merriment And song; and so on. It was without a doubt an evil act, and I’m not sure how anyone can doubt it.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

See.

True.

Can you state any law in which the level of evil can be measured and applied to the act a person committed?

No I cannot, and I’m not sure why I would have to. If laws dictate your sense of evil, I have to wonder how you’d behave if the laws were to disappear tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Was Charles Whitman evil? He had a brain tumor. Can we rightfully call him evil after the fact? Is brain tumor evil?

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

See.

True.

No I cannot, and I’m not sure why I would have to. If laws dictate your sense of evil, I have to wonder how you’d behave if the laws were to disappear tomorrow.

I have no "sense of evil", as it is a subjective term and no basis in reality.

Laws could disappear tomorrow and things would remain the same.

"Evil" is a religious and emotional term, as well.
edit on 3-10-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I think arguing over the semantics of evil is silly. The term itself is versatile and can be used pretty loosely, and in the case of the OP, the intentions were pretty clear and the term was used correctly imo.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Can you state any law in which the level of evil can be measured and applied to the act the act a person committed?

No there is no law against evil.
But the courts have defined people as evil and with no conviction
locked them up for life. Because of the evil acts they coerced others
into commiting.

Evil is defined it exists it can be measured by it's cunning and it's IQ.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
Was Charles Whitman evil? He had a brain tumor. Can we rightfully call him evil after the fact? Is brain tumor evil?

If his brain tumor caused him to perpetrate this horrendous act causing him to hallucinate or something, then evil is absent. However, if he was despondent, bitter, and angry because he was dealt the tumor card, and decided to lash out in that state of mind, then THAT is evil. You know it when you see it.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

That's nonsense.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join