It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guitarist who played in Las Vegas changes views on gun control

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This 3-D Printed Gun is semiautomatic, untraceable and totally legal- Digital Trends

Shown off via a YouTube video published late last month, Derwood describes his creation as a “mostly” 3D-printed firearm with roughly 95 percent of the construction done through prints. The resulting product (seen in the video below) is completely void of a serial number, impossible to trace back to Derwood, and entirely legal — which is perhaps its most controversial feature.

Though Derwood’s 3D-printed automatic weapon (dubbed the Shuty-MP1) isn’t the first of its kind to make waves, he does claim he’s the first to combine 3D-printed parts with store-bought components. Fully 95 percent of the weapon comes by way of a 3D printer; the West Virginia native opted to use a real Glock barrel along with a metal hammer, firing pins, bolts, and springs to complete the construction. Although it has elements of a store-bought gun, each component is merely an accessory (meaning they require an actual gun for use), allowing the finished product to remain legal.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Guns can be lubed quite easily with motor oil and cleaned with WD-40

Ammo can be easily reloaded. I know this because I do it.

Ammo falls under "arms" anyway, which is protected by the 2A.

How about just enforcing the gun laws at hand? Don't even have restrictions on guns themselves, but *bam*, you hurt someone with a gun during the commission of a crime, 20 year minimum. Robbery or Burglary with a gun? 30 years. Aggravated Assault or Murder with a gun? Death Penalty or Life.

Enforce the laws on the books with a vengeance.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Southern Guardian

These mass shootings are occurring more frequently with each event becoming worse and worse.Text

Worse and worse? Got a source for that?

I think the deadliest mass shooting in the US just happened.

no sauce tho, just a rumour.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Kill the pigs!

I can understand your point, I guess. What do you do with 100 dead pigs?

Bacon...

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
Let the statement above sink in for a moment.

These mass shootings are occurring more frequently with each event becoming worse and worse. Not too long before this one we had Virginia which made held the former record. Conneticut? California? It never ends. The Trump administration and others argue that now's the time not to have a debate on gun violence. Now IS THE TIME to have that debate. If not now, there will never be that time. Gun nuts want to sweep this issue under the rug but it's not going away. Caleb has woken up and over time more will wake up. Something needs to be done.

Hiding behind the founders and the 2nd amendment, back to a time where guns were a fraction responsive to your standard hand gun today, isn't going to do it anymore.

Hiding behind the argument that guns are the only answer against other guns isn't going to do it anymore.

By far the worst in the developing world. The UK, Germany, Japan and Australia see nothing in comparison to this mess. Want to talk about bigger populations? India, China? How do the stats compare for mass civilian shootings? We look terrible against them in terms on gun violence.

You know what I found funny as well? That the Trump administration had the nerve to argue that now's not the time to debate gun violence, it's the time to grieve and respond. Yet Trump never bothered to do this for Puerto Rico. Right after the hurricane, the 'lazy' talk comes out.

Like it or not. The push for gun control is not going away.

I did think about his statement.

It made me realize he is probably in shock over the situation and had quite unrealistic expectations of what to expect in an active shooting situation where you were essentially being shot at by a sniper or machine gun nest from a far away and unknown location. A handgun is useless in that kind of situation. it sucks to be helpless and be left feeling useless after something horrible goes down when you were there to witness it.

After a tragedy, it's never the time to make big decisions. Haven't you heard that? Never make life changing choices after a huge, emotional event in your life...because you won't be looking at it rationally or with a reasonable mentality. Heck, the investigation isn't done - we don't know if he really had an automatic weapon, if the weapons he did have were legal, etc. It's a bit premature to debate and pass legislation when no one would have a clue what needed to be drafted up in the first place.

I don't think anyone wants anything swept under the rug - what they want is common sense, fair legislation and not knee-jerk reactionary legislation. People are fine with laws that make sense and don't put the burden on citizens who are responsible and law abiding.

Your comparisons of countries are apples to oranges. I mean, really? you are comparing a very strict Communist controlled country to a country founded by revolution because of oppression? Or comparing it to a large island that can mostly control it's borders or other countries that have partly/mostly disarmed it's citizens? How about some of those places where you can go to jail for injuring or killing a criminal that is burglarizing or terrorizing you in your own home? What may work for one is place does not mean it will work for another. There is never a universal truth and "one-size-fits-all" solutions are scams.

With all the natural disasters happening in a row and now this, I'm not surprised that some people feel the administration isn't handling it well. There's been a lot of close together catastrophic events (the shooting included). I bet everyone is a bit off kilter and in shock and handling it as best they can right now. Seems like they've done alright to me though, at least as well as some administrations and better than others.

I'm not against a certain level of gun control. We already have a lot of gun control laws and regulations on the books. What I am against is passing new laws for the sake of "feel good" legislation that has no point except to make it tougher for law abiding citizens to exercise their rights. Lets enforce laws on the books, let's actually evaluate new laws and regulations and figure out if they really will have an impact instead of throwing a whole bunch of them on the wall to see what sticks.

People are concerned their rights are being slowly stripped from them and there's plenty of evidence supporting that. Many Democrats have made it very clear they want guns banned and will do what it takes to get rid of them - but only for citizens; them, their personal security forces, the police, the military, people they designate, etc. will all get to keep theirs. To be honest, that seems EXACTLY like the things our Founding Fathers warned us about in many of their writings...and you wonder why people are worried?

Especially when they are trying to stack the deck. It requires a valid ID to get a gun, but anyone can vote without an ID. What good is voting being a "right of a citizen @ 18" if our government officials dilute it and let ANYONE vote in our elections. Talk about disrespect for ones country and laws, our "leaders" should be ashamed of themselves.

But I digress. Like many people, I'm fine with some gun laws. I'd be okay with some new ones, depending on what they were. I'd also like to see a loosening of other gun laws, because they unduly infringe on our rights and make absolutely no difference in the scheme of what's going on. But no more knee-jerk reaction or feel good laws, I'm tired of them wasting my time with them.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
This is a tragedy and my heart goes out to all involved.

But the second amendment was designed to protect us from a tyrannical government. The second my local police force doesn't have AR-15's and military surplus MRAP's will be the day that I am fine with having nothing more than a bolt action 30-06, a mossberg 500, and a glock 19 to protect me and mine.

2nd amendment has absolutely NOTHING to do with hunting or sport or home defense against burglars, and to be quite frank, is as non-negotiable as my freedom of speech or freedom against illegal search and seizure.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
a reply to: RickyD

So, I always wondered:

If selling guns and their equipment (ammo, special cleaning tools - I do not know anything about guns, but I guess there are some things you need to care for your weapons which are special made and can not be replaced by anything of the more civil kind you could get in another countries supermarket) would be outlawed -

what would happen in 10 years?

Do you think that the thugs, the criminals are caring for their old guns? Would they spend the extra dime to get new guns every year, including new ammo etc, because the legal ways are stopped?

What if.. the support for guns would dry up.. and the illegal owners of guns who you all are afraid of just do not get their new weapon-fix so easily like now?

Because, and hear me out: a missing support kills the mightiest army.
DRY THEM OUT.
Stop selling guns, ammo, etc.
Make the SELLING illegal, not the possession.

I think this will answer your question. It’s a NO

“I don’t think there’s any magic law that will solve this kind of problem – even in Germany,” says James Jacobs, director of the Center for Research in Crime and Justice at New York University. “It’s probably not possible to stop the black market. We haven’t stopped the black market in drugs. It’s unlikely that they could stop the black market in guns.”

www.csmonitor.com...
edit on 3-10-2017 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

He admits to suffering from the post traumatic stress of that event. That is great.

Before he supports changing the law for me and others who weren't there, he should get some therapy so he can digest what happened.

I know a dude who owned a pit bull. He treated it bad and tried to make it "tough". Until it attacked him. Now he thinks they should be outlawed. Funny what PTSD will do to you.

ETA: why are you comparing shootings between the US and nations who don't allow guns? Why is "gun violence" even a metric? Is death by bullet so much worse than being bludgeoned with a blunt instrument that we need to isolate it above all other forms of murder?

Absolutely my sentiments.

What about firearms (other than the power they entrust in the people) do these people despise so much? Their efforts would be far more effective to target obesity, cancer, heart disease, vehicular deaths, tobacco, etc - and they'd definitely be much more popular.

Yet, we're just expected to believe this isn't a culture war and they're just concerned for the well being of others. If that's the case, how come you're silent about literally every other form of death (which kill many, many times more people)?

Just wondering if those killed in France by the truck violence deserve for you to be pushing for a conversation about truck violence?

#TruckSense

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Observed self radicalization signatures for profiling,vis a vie political/ ideological religious doctrine,from media and political affiliations with DSA as well as CAIR.
THAT would fix the Dems and this attack, but would remove about 75% of the party as terrorists.
They YELL the loudest about anti-McCarthyism, NOW they extend their own invitations.
THIS SITUATION IS A BRILLIANT use of an ANTIFA IDIOT ,DNC.
WE have RIGHT WING SUPREMACISTS but WE don't celebrate their crimes nor bitch when they get shot.
I figure if they're that stupid about skin,it's on THEIR own ass.
NO it still won't work,by the way, we are keeping our guns...morons.
These COASTAL nuts are now terrorists,HAVE fun ANTIFA,I wonder how many "protesters" will be peaceful now?

edit on 3-10-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DisinfoEqualsTerrorism

The Brady Bill makes it illegal to use marijuana and own firearms. Have a gander at the Wikipedia entry for the Brady Bill.

Perhaps local LEO will choose to look the other way. Perhaps not. That, in and of itself, indicates that not only is the "justice system" not really just (its a felony to posess a firearm and marijuana...and getting away with that undermines everything about what we call justice), but that the enforcement of the laws as written does not make much difference as judgement on the part of LEO is the only deciding factor between guilt or innocence.

I don't care about your status with licensing. I went 12 years refusing to try to participate in the DMV system because they pissed me off. But I do care that you understand that rights have been removed (in this case, in 1993), and that it effects an increasingly large portion of our populace. The people in Alaska, in particular.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Who owns the message being broadcast to you via media?

Think you don't consume media? Its everywhere. You can't avoid it. It inundates every corner of the web.

Our nation faces real problems, serious problems, and instead of us taking them on we are distracted with freaking football players acting like divas. Since when did grown men, manly men, embrace histrionics? The real kicker for me was that once they had my attention, they did nothing with it. I never saw Lebron hold a press conference to talk about the problems in the black community and how to fix them. My attention was given 100%, and all i got was crickets drowned out by media telling me every opinion under the sun about the NFL, Donald Trumps comments on the NFL, who kneeled and who didn't, and from social media I got to hear how unpatriotic it was.

I notice that my healthcare costs went up again. But that doesn't matter. The mayor of Puerto Rico is mad that Trump can't do magic tricks, or that his staff says stupid things from time to time just like him.

Gossip, telling us who to be mad at and why.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Good to know your opinion is so easily swayed by a musician

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Spot on, as usual, Texan.

It's terrible to think so many are unable to avoid distractions from the real ailments of this society. I think that free access to information has been countered by total saturation of all comm. mediums with junk/disinfo

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: DanteGaland

Electric fences.

Works for horses.

Not as fun though as a gun.

LOL, good one.

I can buy a rifle for $500. Or I can put an electrified fence around my yard for $50k. In return Ill reduce the number of deer coming into my yard.

Sounds like a lose/lose to me.

I doubt they cost THAT much.

Razor wire is even cheaper. BONUS: They'll gut themselves for you.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
You know what pisses me off......my friend isnt even out of the hospital from surgery yet , after being shot twice in Vegas, and people like you and others cant wait to make this political......

disgusting....

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: Phage

The guns declared "useless" in the OP were handguns, which is what I addressed.

But, to your question: I'm fairly certain LVMPD SWAT was carrying AR platforms of some sort when they had to head towards the guy using AR platforms.

In a situation like Vegas, guns would have been useless. People didn't know where the shots were coming from, and even if they did there was no way to return fire at those distances.

More practically, if you get into a mass shooter event and pull out a gun, how are the police supposed to tell the difference between an innocent bystander and the criminal? If multiple people pull out guns to return fire, how are they supposed to tell each other apart from the bad guy?

There's no scenario where more guns makes one of these situations better.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tundra

Anybody remember Anders Behring Breivik in Norway? Gun control didnt work in that situation now did it?

1 incident in Norway.

There have been about 570 mass shootings in the US in the last 1.5 years. In the last 20 years we've gone from averaging about 1 every 10 days, to now more than 1 per day.

Here's an article from 2014, take a look at that chart
www.nytimes.com...

There's even more today, and they're intensifying. Here's another chart.
www.cnn.com...

5 of the top 10 deadliest mass shootings in the US are from the last 10 years, the other 5 stretch as far back as the 60's to make the list.

4 of the top 10 have been in the past 4 years.

Yes, overall shooting deaths have been lowered, but mass shootings have been on a sharp increase. Basically... fewer people are dying, but more people are dying in larger events.

It's no longer a situation of one person versus another. It's one criminal versus a bunch of victims. Carrying weapons in public can work ok in a 1 vs 1 situation, but in a 1 to many situation it doesn't work because additional armed people only adds ambiguity to the situation.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
We need to lift restrictions, have gun safety classes in schools, and give tax breaks to anyone who carries rifles on their persons.

Imagine if everyone had rifles and were trained in military tactics this guy would have never gotten this many kills.

Really? I think there would have been more. Instead of one shooter firing into a crowd, you would now have a bunch of armed people who were potential shooters adding confusion to the situation. Inevitably, some of those people would think someone else was the shooter, and start firing across the crowd at their target.

In the end you would have wound up with a huge firefight in the crowd, a sniper outside the crowd, and a police force who would have to sit back and watch a bunch of innocent people kill each other.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Shamrock6

When do you need badly need an AR?

When do you badly need to sit in the front of the bus?

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
You know what pisses me off......my friend isnt even out of the hospital from surgery yet , after being shot twice in Vegas, and people like you and others cant wait to make this political......

disgusting....

Prayers to your friend. How bad were the shots?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join