It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guitarist who played in Las Vegas changes views on gun control

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
Some people are getting a wake up call about about guns in the wake of the recent Vegas shootings.

A guitarist who played during the Las Vegas music festival where the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history took place Sunday night said he was “wrong” about his support for the Second Amendment.

Caleb Keeter, guitarist for the Josh Abbott Band, said on Twitter Monday he’s been a supporter of the Second Amendment for his “entire life.”

“Until the events of last night,” Keeter said. “I cannot express how wrong I was. We actually have members of our crew with [concealed handgun licenses], and legal firearms on the bus. They were useless.”

thehill.com...

Let the statement above sink in for a moment.

These mass shootings are occurring more frequently with each event becoming worse and worse. Not too long before this one we had Virginia which made held the former record. Conneticut? California? It never ends. The Trump administration and others argue that now's the time not to have a debate on gun violence. Now IS THE TIME to have that debate. If not now, there will never be that time. Gun nuts want to sweep this issue under the rug but it's not going away. Caleb has woken up and over time more will wake up. Something needs to be done.

Hiding behind the founders and the 2nd amendment, back to a time where guns were a fraction responsive to your standard hand gun today, isn't going to do it anymore.

Hiding behind the argument that guns are the only answer against other guns isn't going to do it anymore.

By far the worst in the developing world. The UK, Germany, Japan and Australia see nothing in comparison to this mess. Want to talk about bigger populations? India, China? How do the stats compare for mass civilian shootings? We look terrible against them in terms on gun violence.

You know what I found funny as well? That the Trump administration had the nerve to argue that now's not the time to debate gun violence, it's the time to grieve and respond. Yet Trump never bothered to do this for Puerto Rico. Right after the hurricane, the 'lazy' talk comes out.

Like it or not. The push for gun control is not going away.

...reports the ATS member with an American flag and the Statue of Liberty as their avatar.

Anyone else find this stunningly ironic??

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Quick, get them political points in before all the blood is dry!!!

link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
It's not the gun laws that need to be addressed, and I would argue Americans shouldn't take their freedoms for granted. It is the general moral vacuity throughout culture that will lead a person kill others.

Violence and crime is at an all time low. Mass shootings are on the rise. "Moral vacuity" likely isn't the simple answer you think it is.

link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Anybody remember Anders Behring Breivik in Norway? Gun control didnt work in that situation now did it?

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

It's not the gun laws that need to be addressed, and I would argue Americans shouldn't take their freedoms for granted. It is the general moral vacuity throughout culture that will lead a person kill others.

Violence and crime is at an all time low. Mass shootings are on the rise. "Moral vacuity" likely isn't the simple answer you think it is.

What's the answer then?

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

What the hell does a DUI have to do with firearms?

That's saying everyone who ever goes out to the bar deserves no firearms rights.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

What's the answer then?

More gun laws apparently - because criminals ALWAYS adhere to laws.

Is enforcement of current gun laws an issue in this country??

The conversation & issue at hand are profoundly more complicated than...'we need more control/law'

link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The majority of mass shootings are domestic (as in family, not terrorism) incidents though, so the moral compass angle can't be completely discounted.
edit on 3-10-2017 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

link   

Yes I agree.

Since Democrats keep getting guns and committing massacres so that we'll have reasons to ban guns, I do think its about time all registered Democrats lose their rights to firearms.

Excellent observations.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I think another poster said anyone who is a habitual DUI offender should have his right to bear arms revoked.

Apologies for not expanding on it.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: starwarsisreal

What the hell does a DUI have to do with firearms?

That's saying everyone who ever goes out to the bar deserves no firearms rights.

Does everyone who goes to a bar habitually drive drunk?

Can habitually drunk people can handle guns safely?

We're not talking about Joe Blow who goes down to the bar occasionally.

We're talking about a track-record of irresponsibility.

I drink, though I don't drink and drive. I also don't touch guns when I've been drinking.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

From what I understand there are already laws in many states prohibiting habitual DUI offenders from getting gun licenses.

No one really protested that either.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

We actually have members of our crew with [concealed handgun licenses], and legal firearms on the bus. They were useless.”

pistols wouldn't have helped at a 1/4 mile away. the only thing that would have help for sure is a battle rifle, sniper rifle, hunting rifle, then you would have to know where he was and be able to see him.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Let's throw people who have chronic headaches to that list, or how about people who have allergies??

We already have enough laws on the books, let's focus on enforcing them.

link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

That's how I feel. I want to be able to own guns too. I just want some restrictions on how they are bought. We can have adult conversations about how to best handle these things instead of ranting and raving at each other to have the extremes implemented.

link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Having a sniper rifle on hand could have ended this a lot sooner. Hmmmm.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

A guitarist who played during the Las Vegas music festival where the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history took place Sunday night said he was “wrong” about his support for the Second Amendment.

Right what the EFF was I thinking.

All laws should be made from reactionary emotional thinking.

Who gives a EFF bout the bill of rights anyway.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

It's annoying that even trying to have a simple discussion about guns and gun control gets immediately hijacked and argued that the left is trying to confiscate all guns... I really don't like coming into these topics for that reason. I have a nuanced opinion on guns, but since I'm a known liberal no gun owner wants to hear it or contemplate it.

Let's have a simple discussion about restricting your rights.

Like, how about we require tests for voting, and anyone under 130 IQ cannot vote?

Oh, how about requiring licenses for posting on the internet, and to get that license you need to be registered to vote?

And violating this ought to be punishable by 5 years in prison minimum.

Oh and let's ban protests altogether, I don't protest so it won't bother citizens like me, in fact it'll keep my city safer.

Sounds good to me.

Next week we should discuss codifying eugenics policies to improve our genetic stock. We need to stay competitive with China.

Thanks for 100% proving my point for me, Mr. Slippery Slope Fallacy.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

as i said if you knew his position and the right optics, better chance than anything else.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
More laws will accomplish what the current laws can't, apparently. If we make more laws, criminals will get the message.

Sounds like government and their continued idea of throwing money at problems to fix them, when in fact it makes the problems worse.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join