It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guitarist who played in Las Vegas changes views on gun control

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

What do you do with 100 dead pigs?

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Tactically, in this particular instance, no concealed-carry weapons would be ineffective at dealing with this one due to the distance and elevation from the crowd. Doesn't make the whole 2A wrong, or bad or ineffective.

This is what rubs me the wrong way about every time something like this happens.

There is no respect for the victims and no time for anyone to heal before someone has to jump on the bandwagon and start beating the old EMOTIONAL drum to ban guns.

This is what ticks me off, it's always a very emotional situation that makes this come up, in the heat of it all.

It's disgusting and shows no one has any respect for the dead or those who are trying to deal with the aftermath of the event.

Then again, it always seems that certain people can't focus on anything without getting emotionally involved. Emotional knee-jerk reactions do not fix things, at least not in a meaningful way; they throw the baby out with the bath water.

The politicians are pushing an agenda because if they really felt bad they'd make sure the families get support for the sudden loss of loved ones, and communities got better support. Nope, they just rant about how evil these tools are and how they need to be taken away (all while being guarded by people with these evil things).

It's all emotional knee-jerk grandstanding.

Where is the push for better mental health medicine, and for people to get help?

Where is the general care for people? We are more and more socially withdrawn from each other now than ever before.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I would like to expand on the regulation part. As stated in another post, people who shouldn't own guns for any reason should be those convicted of DUI or have a history of violence.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Never understood the logic of gun control for law abiding citizens.

Yes let's make it so only criminals are well armed and the masses have pea shooters...GREAT IDEA.

You need badly need ARs because murderous, treasonous scum have ARs. They need to be kept in check.

Disarming law abiding citizens is the last thing that will help a country...unless you are a Hitler type dictator then you'll have complete power/control.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Sadly banning them is inevitably what it always devolves to in these discussions. The unfortunate fact of the matter is guns are a thing and will never be eradicated from exisitance. So some people will always have them and the more restricted they are the more power having them wields...we can not prevent people from doing bad things, but we can at least put control of more of the variables involved into everyone's hands so at least there is more chance for recourse. I just don't see any other solution that works.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
It's not the gun laws that need to be addressed, and I would argue Americans shouldn't take their freedoms for granted. It is the general moral vacuity throughout culture that will lead a person kill others.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

SG great OP as usual, but unfortunately if these fanatics didn’t do anything when kids got killed they aren’t going to see the light anytime

This country is too far gone my friend

The ship is sinking

Save yourself!

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Great point. And the police and their ar's were useless too. It didn't matter. We need crazy-control.. Not gun.

I'm not giving up mine.. handguns only. Never.

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

It's annoying that even trying to have a simple discussion about guns and gun control gets immediately hijacked and argued that the left is trying to confiscate all guns... I really don't like coming into these topics for that reason. I have a nuanced opinion on guns, but since I'm a known liberal no gun owner wants to hear it or contemplate it.

Here's the problem with trying to discuss more gun laws: we've lost almost all rights that we had 100 years ago, and its not done anything to increase safety. Meanwhile, my rights have been eroded for nothing in return.

Im sure you've seen this...but if not:

link   
a reply to: SuicideKing33

You need badly need ARs because murderous, treasonous scum have ARs. They need to be kept in check.

Going hunting?

link   

originally posted by: RickyD
Annnnd...here comes the ban guns agenda again...with all the false equivalents and ignorant statements. If we as a species never invented guns that would be great, however now that the genie is out of the bottle there is no putting it back. Ban them and criminals will get them, restrict them and people will still go from completely responsible to snapping still... There is nothing to do but embrace the fact. I don't trust any group of humans to have them while the rest can't as power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely...I'd much rather take my chances on a playing field with more of the variable up to me than I would to be at anyone's mercy with no recourse.

Here's a prime example of what I was talking about in my initial post. If you press ctrl+f and type "ban" then hit enter, the first use of the word is in this post I'm quoting. When you see "gun control" and immediately think "ban" then you've been indoctrinated and are useless to a discussion.

link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Bravo...this is something that's on a fast decline in our American society today!

link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

I would like to expand on the regulation part. As stated in another post, people who shouldn't own guns for any reason should be those convicted of DUI or have a history of violence.

Why a DUI?

I don't like drunk driver at all but I don't think they should have their guns taken away.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Yeah but if they can't drive responsibly then they can't be trusted to own a gun.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

And I don't think any reasonable person would disagree with that.

You retain the right to self-defense until you have proven you don't have the responsibility to properly exercise that right.

A habitual DUI offender has demonstrated a lack of concern for safety and a tendency to be in a chemically altered state.

A habitual violent offender has shown a lack of self-control and lack of concern for public safety.

In both cases, once due process has been satisfied, then and only then I believe it would be reasonable to remove that person's right to own guns.

I bet you'd find most law abiding gun owners would agree with that reasoning.

link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Exactly. They could totally ban guns (not that it will ever happen) and you would still have these horrible events. This is not a guy who just went off the deep end.

link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I wasn't saying you said that...I was saying that these discussions always devolve to that. Give it a few pages...

I view control as ineffective. If someone wants to get a thing they will...I also don't see a way to be rid of them all so we can't go that route. Basically I was just making a point I felt related to the discussion. No direct offense ment buddy =D

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: thesaneone

Yeah but if they can't drive responsibly then they can't be trusted to own a gun.

One is a right the other is not.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

You can make that analogy for literally ANY precept of freedom though, but while that analogy LOOKS super clever things don't play out like that in reality. For instance. American gun ownership is at its highest point ever, and instances like this are used as flashpoints to drive up further gun sales by pitching the narrative, "LIBERALS ARE COMING FOR MUH GUNS!" It was even worse when Obama was in office, because then he could be used as a bogeyman to direct this propaganda.

But here's the thing, things like background checks or waiting periods aren't gun confiscation. You still get to own your gun. It may not be immediately, but considering how long you'll be in possession of that firearm once it is yours (until you throw it away) that shouldn't be too hard of a compromise. I like our right to own firearms, as do quite a few liberals. But we just feel like there should be a few more roadblocks in the way of buying a new firearm. No, I don't think it will solve all gun crime, but just because it won't be a perfect answer isn't a reason to not do anything.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

It's annoying that even trying to have a simple discussion about guns and gun control gets immediately hijacked and argued that the left is trying to confiscate all guns... I really don't like coming into these topics for that reason. I have a nuanced opinion on guns, but since I'm a known liberal no gun owner wants to hear it or contemplate it.

Let's have a simple discussion about restricting your rights.

Like, how about we require tests for voting, and anyone under 130 IQ cannot vote?

Oh, how about requiring licenses for posting on the internet, and to get that license you need to be registered to vote?

And violating this ought to be punishable by 5 years in prison minimum.

Oh and let's ban protests altogether, I don't protest so it won't bother citizens like me, in fact it'll keep my city safer.

Sounds good to me.

Next week we should discuss codifying eugenics policies to improve our genetic stock. We need to stay competitive with China.
edit on 10/3/2017 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join