It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guitarist who played in Las Vegas changes views on gun control

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Some people are getting a wake up call about about guns in the wake of the recent Vegas shootings.

A guitarist who played during the Las Vegas music festival where the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history took place Sunday night said he was “wrong” about his support for the Second Amendment.

Caleb Keeter, guitarist for the Josh Abbott Band, said on Twitter Monday he’s been a supporter of the Second Amendment for his “entire life.”

“Until the events of last night,” Keeter said. “I cannot express how wrong I was. We actually have members of our crew with [concealed handgun licenses], and legal firearms on the bus. They were useless.”

thehill.com...

Let the statement above sink in for a moment.

These mass shootings are occurring more frequently with each event becoming worse and worse. Not too long before this one we had Virginia which made held the former record. Conneticut? California? It never ends. The Trump administration and others argue that now's the time not to have a debate on gun violence. Now IS THE TIME to have that debate. If not now, there will never be that time. Gun nuts want to sweep this issue under the rug but it's not going away. Caleb has woken up and over time more will wake up. Something needs to be done.

Hiding behind the founders and the 2nd amendment, back to a time where guns were a fraction responsive to your standard hand gun today, isn't going to do it anymore.

Hiding behind the argument that guns are the only answer against other guns isn't going to do it anymore.

By far the worst in the developing world. The UK, Germany, Japan and Australia see nothing in comparison to this mess. Want to talk about bigger populations? India, China? How do the stats compare for mass civilian shootings? We look terrible against them in terms on gun violence.

You know what I found funny as well? That the Trump administration had the nerve to argue that now's not the time to debate gun violence, it's the time to grieve and respond. Yet Trump never bothered to do this for Puerto Rico. Right after the hurricane, the 'lazy' talk comes out.

Like it or not. The push for gun control is not going away.

+55 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

He admits to suffering from the post traumatic stress of that event. That is great.

Before he supports changing the law for me and others who weren't there, he should get some therapy so he can digest what happened.

I know a dude who owned a pit bull. He treated it bad and tried to make it "tough". Until it attacked him. Now he thinks they should be outlawed. Funny what PTSD will do to you.

ETA: why are you comparing shootings between the US and nations who don't allow guns? Why is "gun violence" even a metric? Is death by bullet so much worse than being bludgeoned with a blunt instrument that we need to isolate it above all other forms of murder?
edit on 10/3/2017 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

link   
I was really hoping it would be Ted Nugent.

+30 more 
link   

We actually have members of our crew with [concealed handgun licenses], and legal firearms on the bus. They were useless.”

So were the cops that were at the concert venue, aside from their radios.

Guns, like any other tool, are not the end-all, be-all for every situation one encounters. But, like any other tool, when you need one badly, having one sure beats not having one.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Good for him. He's a grown man who can make his own choices and have his own opinions.

I am too. My choices, opinions, and most importantly, rights haven't changed.

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

When do you need badly need an AR?
edit on 10/3/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

When do you need an AR badly?

When a group of 100 hogs continuously runs through my yard, digging up the grass i've spent hundreds on growing.

Even then, if its not fully automatic i can only shoot so many of them. And having a fully auto version legally would cost me almost a years salary. Very, very few of those around legally.

I'd bet that our former POTUS put some military grade weapons into non-US military personnel hands. So maybe the source for those weapons ties back to us anyway.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Have they determined ALL the guns in his possession were his and obtained legally? I read that three of them were, but there were 30+ guns they confiscated in the room and his home.

I would be more worried about how he got these guns so fast since he supposedly was not a gun enthusiast.

link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Kill the pigs!

I can understand your point, I guess. What do you do with 100 dead pigs?

link   
a reply to: Phage

The guns declared "useless" in the OP were handguns, which is what I addressed.

But, to your question: I'm fairly certain LVMPD SWAT was carrying AR platforms of some sort when they had to head towards the guy using AR platforms.

+4 more 
link   

When do you need badly need an AR?

Ever hunted wild hogs, Phage?

They are ubiquitous in my area, tear up farmer's fields, destroy fences, and are generally a nuisance. They come in herds.

When hunting them, a miss, or even a hit can trigger the rest of the group to attack you. In that situation, a semi-auto rifle with a decent capacity can prevent injury or death to the hunter.

+6 more 
link   
Annnnd...here comes the ban guns agenda again...with all the false equivalents and ignorant statements. If we as a species never invented guns that would be great, however now that the genie is out of the bottle there is no putting it back. Ban them and criminals will get them, restrict them and people will still go from completely responsible to snapping still... There is nothing to do but embrace the fact. I don't trust any group of humans to have them while the rest can't as power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely...I'd much rather take my chances on a playing field with more of the variable up to me than I would to be at anyone's mercy with no recourse.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

Never hunted them, no.
Damn near run over a few.

link   
a reply to: Phage

Have a heck of a BBQ. You're invited.

link   

It's annoying that even trying to have a simple discussion about guns and gun control gets immediately hijacked and argued that the left is trying to confiscate all guns... I really don't like coming into these topics for that reason. I have a nuanced opinion on guns, but since I'm a known liberal no gun owner wants to hear it or contemplate it.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Kill the pigs!

I can understand your point, I guess. What do you do with 100 dead pigs?

Fill up the freezer, of course.

If i could ever harvest 100 wild hogs life would be very, very excellent.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Watcher777

It is possible some of his guns were gotten illegally via the Drug Cartels.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

That works both ways, though.

I recognize the need for some degree of regulation. I also enjoy my right to own personal firearms. Which makes me a caveman to those who think they can magically make all guns disappear and makes me an apostate to those who think they should have their own battery of howitzers.

link   

These mass shootings are occurring more frequently with each event becoming worse and worse.Text

Worse and worse? Got a source for that?

link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: Watcher777

It is possible some of his guns were gotten illegally via the Drug Cartels.

One wonders if they turned out to be some of the "walked" guns from Fast and Furious if we'd ever find out about it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join