It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Background Checks...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Alleged shooter passed every one of them. Every background check thrown at him.

How does any more legislation (except an outright ban) prevent this from happening?

Automatic weapons, heavily regulated, illegal.

Democrat sycophant... present. ( Hillary).

Really?

edit on 10/3/2017 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Is this your thread?

Seco- nevermind.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Gears flow into the BG Check System.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 01:42 AM
link   
You're right.

We should do nothing.

That's alright, America's number 1 in mass shootings in the world! America! America!

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
You're right.

We should do nothing.

That's alright, America's number 1 in mass shootings in the world! America! America!

Ban what's already banned. Check...

What next?

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I'm not from round your parts but surely with computers and background checks to buy a gun their would be a data base of who purchased a gun and how many guns they had purchased or sold legally, wouldn't or shouldnt an alarm bell go off for someone who owned 23 rifles. What the heck does someone need 23 guns for even if they are bought legally.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

What are we to do? Serious question.

We have background checks, killing people is already illegal, full auto weapons are illegal without some serious time, paperwork and money tied up in them and without an outright ban [ which will never work ] what else is there? Gun owners are as fed up with these crackpots as anyone out there, but as far as laws...we've gone about as far as we can. I know, someone is going to suggest Psych background checks. If you've been deemed a danger to yourself or others, you're already on a list and forcing everyone to go through an "evaluation" will get slapped down in court pretty quick.

We don't know why this guy did what he did. We may never know. But the hard fact is, people snap.
From small town schoolteachers to CEOs, people just sometimes go off the deep end and you can never know who it's going to be. Or what they will do.

edit on 3-10-2017 by DAVID64 because: punctuation...it counts

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64
I think America has so many guns there's no point in banning them.

In the UK if somebody snaps they run around shouting at people, stab people or run people over. In the US the better option for them is to take up the gun, a readily available tool.

It's a tough call. An everlasting debate.

My thought are with those who are mourning but equally - my fears are with all Americans because this WILL happen again and hundreds of innocent people WILL die again.

EDIT - The media/Trump don't help - that graphic up there touches on mental health, an illness. Yet the media and Trump convince us it is a totally sane person who is just evil. It's unthinkable to suggest a gunman was mentally ill and needed help.

edit on 3-10-2017 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Havent you heard ? Suppressors are what makes mass shootings possible.
Ban suppressors. Hunters dont use em anyway. Messes up their aim
Oops

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: RomeByFire

What are we to do? Serious question.

Gun owners are as fed up with these crackpots as anyone out there, but as far as laws...we've gone about as far as we can.

Clearly you haven't...

without an outright ban [ which will never work ] what else is there?

It's worked in nearly every other civilised country. You don't think it will work because its bad for NRA business, that's the only reason. Fear.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Automatic weapons have only been used in, now, 3 mass murders in the last century. So it's not like it is common.

Never the less, it all boils down to mental health, and people perceptions. This is why the current MSM climate is so very dangerous. This is why certain types of political pandering are DANGEROUS. Yet, they keep spewing the hate and vitriol like a drug. There are consequences for yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theater, there should be consequences for the media for whipping people into a lather.

Murder is already illegal, but this guy had no issues ending 59 lives, and wounding 500+ others. I don't think he would have followed any gun laws to accomplish his goals.

You can't psych check everyone, but you can keep an eye on friends and people you know. In most cases, there should be warning signs if someone is going to go off the deep end. We need to stop ignoring everyone around us, engaged in only a digital screen. We are our brother's keeper.

Fun fact, the most common thing amongst all violent criminals is an abusive childhood.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: SudoNim

So what country has no guns?

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

I wish we had an answer. I really do. But I honestly don't think this a gun issue. It's a "don't give a sh** about human life" issue. Gangbangers, drug dealers, murderers, armed robbery.... the list goes sickeningly on and they all have that one thing in common. They just don't care.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: and14263

I wish we had an answer. I really do. But I honestly don't think this a gun issue. It's a "don't give a sh** about human life" issue. Gangbangers, drug dealers, murderers, armed robbery.... the list goes sickeningly on and they all have that one thing in common. They just don't care.

We have become a society of things, and materials and everything being disposable.

Disposable society mentality has been the underlying theme for at least 20 years, if not longer. We no longer put value in our employees, our jobs, each other. Look at the divorce rates, and how flimsy and fragile relationships are now, how petty people have become.

If we put no value on anything or anyone around us, many will soon put no value in themselves either.

We throw everything away, rather then trying to fix it. We love things, and use people.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:53 AM
link   

No, it won't work, because there are so many criminals out there who have them who WILL keep them. Do you think all those deaths in Chicago come from legally bought guns? They already know if they get caught with them they're going to prison and They Don't Care. They WON'T give them up and there will be a black market explosion to import weapons and ammo from Mexico or other countries. Gun owners know this and we will not become defenseless victims to them.
You'll make at least 1/3 of this nation criminals with the stroke of a pen and there are millions of us who will not give them up. Many would. Many won't. And will fight to keep them. You really want to see the U.S. fall into a civil war?
Try a gun ban.

ETA- The ins and outs of a gun ban are not something I'll get into. It's been discussed here so many times and it's just not going to happen.
edit on 3-10-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Bad for our constitution also.....a reply to: SudoNim

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

So what country has no guns?

I have no idea... I assume you think I said there is a country that has zero guns?

Please correct yourself.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Always the same excuse.

The NRA really has brainwashed America with its blanket paranoia.

Despite the fact that owning a gun doesn't make you safer against criminals with guns.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   
dictators with guns have caused mass murders too...

it only happens every now and then...

only a few million people at a time...

We need background checks for dictators AND psych evaluations

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Within the context of this comment made by you in regards to a ban on guns.

It's worked in nearly every other civilised country.

I'm looking for this place.

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join