It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlanta GA City Council unanimously passes legislation to decriminalize marijuana

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Wow.

Of all places, this is in the South, where I least expected it. We only recently just got the right to buy alcohol on Sunday.

I'm shocked, but happy, since criminalization has ruined so many lives. The new legislation just makes possession of under an ounce a ticketable offense: $75.

Councilman Kwanza Hall introduced the legislation last month.

The current law allows for a penalty of up to $1,000 and up to six months in jail for anyone caught in possession of less than 1 ounce of marijuana. The new legislation would lower that to just a $75 ticket and no jail time.

Mayor Reed now has 8 calendar days to sign or veto the legislation. However, it can go into effect without his signature.

WSBTV

The two thing that always personally bugged me about the criminality are: A) upon conviction you automatically lose your license for 6 months. B) Any conviction prevents a student from receiving state financial aid.

Not to mention the incarceration of poor minorities.
edit on 2-10-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

upon conviction you automatically lose your license for 6 months.

that's to make it as hard as possible to show up for your drug tests. So they can put you in jail.

Any conviction prevents a student from receiving state financial aid.

Because the less educated a person is the more likely they will become an inmate at some point.

They want us in jail.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

that's to make it as hard as possible to show up for your drug tests. So they can put you in jail.

Or to get and hold a job, and pay your fines. Even with a DUI you can get a limited driving permit (work/school/church).

Because the less educated a person is the more likely they will become an inmate at some point.

Yup. Cut education, but build more jails.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I live in Fayette County which is just south of Atlanta bordering Fulton County and have been told that up to 75% of the people in jail here are there because of possession of less than 1 ounce of pot. And they treat you really nasty in this county.

This is great news-hoping it will become contagious but I doubt it-still old fashioned conservatives here.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Doesn't sound like they decriminalized marijuana, they just lessened the severity of the penalty.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Doesn't sound like they decriminalized marijuana, they just lessened the severity of the penalty.

That's decriminalization.

Definition of decriminalize
transitive verb
:to remove or reduce the criminal classification or status of; especially :to repeal a strict ban on while keeping under some form of regulation

decriminalize the possession of marijuana

Merriam-Webster

Anyway, just quoting the article.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Gotcha,
Didn't know that.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Username checks out.

Its a start, a very good start I didnt see coming

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
nice work ATL.

one step at a time.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

It's easy to be cynical about such things. Initially the first thought I had was overcrowded prisons;

Seems that is not the case.

So, I'd say assuming there is no veto, it's a good news story.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

So, I'd say assuming there is no veto, it's a good news story.

It's still a good news story: it's a first step in the right direction.

That said, I'm curious to see whether he vetoes, signs, or sits on it.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
This guy is going to be pissed when they pass it.

AJC

Jenkins was charged with one count each of reckless driving, failure to obey stop sign, driving too fast for conditions, failure to yield at intersection, central lane violation, driving with a suspended or revoked license, driving on the wrong side of the road, speeding, fleeing a police officer, obstruction of a law enforcement officer, possession of less than an ounce of marijuana, possession and use of drug-related materials, a violation of the Georgia Controlled Substance Act and a Class D violation.

But seriously, this could result in less police chases. Have any of the benefits of decriminalization/legalization listed the number of lives saved due to people not running?

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

It's a step in the right direction.

Some good news today.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yeah, I wake up to a domestic massacre and then Tom Petty is #d, it's nice to hear of something good, albeit equally unexpected, happening...

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Wow. Never thought of it that way. Thats totally f'ed up.
edit on 10/2/2017 by Tundra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
The state may not take kindly. Probably will not survive.

In all states, a city or county may enact a local ordinance as a criminal law that covers the same crime or violation as a state law but only if the penalty provided by the local ordinance is higher than the state statute. A local ordinance cannot be used to create a lesser penalty for a crime or traffic offense than state law.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The amount of Tax revenue income from legalisation would be a potential goldmine , regulation is the only way the government can control the use of this substance and make money from it.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Wow, a light in the madness. I hope this works out and developes further to the rest of the state, as well as with leading a path for medical legalization. After FL going medical, maybe it really is starting a chain reaction for the South.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It may be passed. Although this is like the 10th time it has been proposed.
And , it is not like you think . The bill is again for a very weak synthetic form . And you have to have some form of cancer , MD or MS or diseases as such. Or at least that is what has been proposed in the past . Still , always voted down
I have my own good reasons for keeping up with this bill
Coming to you live (I like that word) from Atlanta, Ga.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tundra

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Wow. Never thought of it that way. Thats totally f'ed up.

The knowledge comes from personal experience.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join