It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America-273 mass shootings in 275 days of this year

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

How about this:

1. Let's first figure out why people in certain areas have stopped respecting others so much that they would rather kill each other over disagreements than work things out peacefully.

How about this:

Why don't you educate yourself about WHY America has the most OVERALL gun violence AND violent culture out of ALL developed nations without ignorantly blaming those in *certain areas* as being the reason.

Gun violence in America, explained in 17 maps and charts: In the developed world, these levels of gun violence are a uniquely American problem. Here’s why.

www.vox.com...

1) America has six times as many firearm homicides as Canada, and nearly 16 times as many as Germany

2) America has 4.4 percent of the world’s population, but almost half of the civilian-owned guns around the world

3) There have been more than 1,500 mass shootings since Sandy Hook

4) On average, there is more than one mass shooting for each day in America

5) States with more guns have more gun deaths

6) It’s not just the US: Developed countries with more guns also have more gun deaths

7) States with tighter gun control laws have fewer gun-related deaths

8) Still, gun homicides (like all homicides) have declined over the past couple decades

9) Most gun deaths are suicides

Are these mass-shootings/stats the result of certain areas...?

There are far more homicide deaths per capita in the States than any other developed nation:

Once we've done that, you might be surprised how low that number falls.

Once you have done that — you might be *disappointed* to find out how LITTLE that number falls. In fact, your false bigoted narrative goes right out the bloody window, lady.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

VOX.com no Progressive bias there now is there?
That video has already been debunked.

Dammit, can't embed and if I put the raw link it comes up video is not available.

Go to youtube and type in "Crowder debunks Vox" and the vid will come up......

edit on 2-10-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Here's the list of sources linked at the website.

Oh and let's not forget that I made no mention of any specific group or ethnicity in my post.

So any assumptions of what group I may have been referring to is all on you.

Fact is that factors in question will cause any group to devolve into high crime behaviors.
edit on 2-10-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SudoNim

Your President thinks otherwise.

No. My President knows it is a big deal.

Would you be happy that your neighbour had one... as long as he posted on a forum about how careful he is with it?

It is against the law to have one. Your argument seems to say that it would be impossible to get one since no one can have one.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Holy Jesus, you and BlackSkinHead (no bias with that sort of contradictory name there...) have less lines of info on things going on here so you have next to no true standing besides these little biased @ss stats that get posted. You have no idea of how things really are in America. You see things from the corrupted media outlets that have the entire west by the balls. To you crazy wannabe talking-heads, America is the "wild west" turned up to 11 because all you see is what the controlled media show you. No first hand experience in the actual peaceful majority of America. All you hear is the extreme bullcrap from both sides of the False Left/Right paradigm, which people on this site USED to RECOGNIZE because people here USED to be SMARTER than this. These Mass Shootings that the media blows up over are 95% of the time Black ops conducted by the real owners of the entirety of the West. Funny how no shootings happened after the election but happened loads when there was Gun Grabbing talk in the news. While most of the louder idiots in my country are damn near mind controlled by the biased Media, its becoming too trendy for outsiders like yourselves to act smart by coming on here and talking down to "us wild west hillbillies" due to yall having nothing but the Media's lies and bias as your backing because, in reality, YOU DON'T ACTUALLY CARE! You all come here to Troll because that's what seemingly, as this entire thread has shown, gets your rocks off. This site used to have actual intelligent discussions with a hint of trolls, but now it is overran by extreme left/right slaves debating manufactured outrages instead of trying to find the truth in the matters. SMFH...

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackSkinhead

I live WAAAAY out in the country and I hunt. I used to have Tacti-Cool weapons but found I never used them for hunting. So I sold them to a Gun shop.

When I was in the military, I had a need for weapons capable of high rates of fire and magazine capacity. Nowadays, not so much. Deer and other edible critters don't shoot back after all.

I am a fervent supporter of the 2d Amendment though. See my signature. I have what I need to survive through hunting, well with the exception of a 1911 pistol for home defense and other more vile critters that cause problems around here, such as Coyotes, Bobcats and the like.

Life would be hell for me if I let one of them get my sisters little Dawg...and they have tried before. That little #er let's his Battleship sense of adventure over run his Rowboat @$$.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
OP, I see your from the UK . I've learned to ignore the ill wind that you guys like to blow toward the lower 48 when WE have an incident like this. Understand, we have the 2nd Amendment...you don't, so get over it already. I own firearms, lots of them. More than you & I could carry in several trips back and fourth to my F150. I have had to use one of those firearms in defense of my life......I'm still here, still kicking, still responding on ATS all because I have the right to own a firearm. The other fellow who decided to use his firearm to assault me & mine is quite dead. I can assure you I took zero enjoyment from taking another humans life. But with that said, if I had not have owned a firearm I would be quite dead at the present, along with my wife, who was home at the time. So, keep your UK attitude in the UK. You keep throwing them rocks at the bad guys & I will stay cocked & ready just for you.... over the past 3 years my firearm collection has dwindled, as I am being eradicated by ALS.......But I still have enough for my protection and those in my neighborhood.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
There is a misconception that law-abiding gun owners in the U.S. are a bunch of weak cowboys who are looking for a gunfight or who can't fight on their own without a gun.

This couldn't be further from the truth.

Most are responsible and don't want a fight. Most will go out of their way to avoid conflict due to the fact that if they use their gun, they will be hauled off to jail, lose a ton of money, possibly spend time in prison, and guess what... lose their right to own a gun!

I mentioned my area being one of the murder capitols of the South, and that stands. However, 80 to 90% of the murders/assaults which occur are criminal-on-criminal. By that I mean someone who is not a law-abiding citizen. One who is already engaged in illegal activity and/or has a record of arrest for felonies. By and large, the shootings and murders are the result of a drug deal gone bad, gang-related crime, or just a moron who illegally possesses a gun who illegally shoots another moron.

The law-abiding citizens in my area are more likely to be a victim of a property crime, but are occasionally victims of an armed robbery or car-jacking, where there is a 30 to 50% chance of the innocent law-abiding citizen being shot. It is a truly rare occurence for someone with no previous record of being violent or committing felonies to commit an assault/murder with a gun in my local area.

One interesting thing is, every once in a while, a law-abiding citizen shoots and kills a criminal in self-defense. When that occurs, crime nose-dives for a while. Criminals don't care about getting caught or going to jail. They do care about getting killed by a homeowner though.

So look at the gun homicide stats in that light. Per your website, 15,079 deaths by gun in 2016. Thankfully they take out the suicide stats ( which artificially inflates the numbers ). That's less than 0.005% of the population killed in a gun homicide. That's a drop in the bucket when 36% of U.S. households own guns. If even 50% of those deaths are criminal-on-criminal, the percentage committed by previously law-abiding citizens drops accordingly.

There are numerous reasons for the amount of gun violence in the U.S. The least of which is the legal ownership of guns.

Contributing factors include:
- Criminals who are lightly punished ( i.e. out of prison for a murder or serious assault charge in less than 5 years )
- Poverty and single-parent households
- The War on Drugs and drug use
- Glorification of Violence in culture and media

If you really break the stats down, it is not the law-abiding or previously law-abiding gun owners committing gun crimes. It is the criminals, who break the law as a matter of habit, and illegally obtain firearms.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
What about that shooting in Norway on the island, that was a mass shooting. Or that concert in Paris???a reply to: BlackSkinhead

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

2nd Amendment is why.

Next question?

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite debate will be enforced.
Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

Community Announcement re: Decorum
Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
12 years as a law enforcement officer in the USA and in my personal experience 99% of the firearm homicides I, or others have worked, have been a criminal killing another criminal. It's usually over drugs...

To add, I think counting criminals that kill other criminals and legal self defense towards overall homicide statistics, as well as counting a gang shooting where more than 4 criminals are injured as a "mass shooting" is rather disingenuous.

Furthermore, don't forget that a majority of gun deaths in the USA are suicides.

www.nytimes.com...

Just imagine if you took criminals killing other criminals, gang violence, legal self defense, and suicides out of the USA's total homicide rate.

The numbers would dramatically decrease.
edit on 2-10-2017 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

VOX.com no Progressive bias there now is there? That video has already been debunked.

Fair enough. I just went with the first link that popped up. I didn't post a video...

Despite all that, America is still the most violent nation out of all developed nations.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Global Peace Index: visionofhumanity.org...

Btw, who is Crowder...?

edit on 2-10-2017 by Involutionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: SudoNim
a reply to: 3daysgone

Your President thinks otherwise.

Would you be happy that your neighbour had one... as long as he posted on a forum about how careful he is with it?

My neighbor does have one I'm pretty sure since I'm also pretty sure he's an NRA member.

But hey, good news since according to your very next post

Fact is you are more likely to shoot yourself than anyone else. Good luck with that.

He is apparently more likely to shoot himself than he is to shoot me or mine! I I must be pretty safe.

Your neighbour has a nuclear weapon in his basement?

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ

Haven't yet. Come take a stroll through my hood shouting your nonsense and lets see which statistic you end up as. I guarantee if you are not armed you will end up in the victim category.

Internet tough guy alert... avoid PraetorianAZ in the hood everyone.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Making guns illegal will do as much to stop murder as making murder illegal.

Exactly.

It will reduce the number of murders... if murder wasn't illegal there would be more murders, making it illegal reduces the number of murders. So by your argument making guns illegal reduces the number of murders.

Do you even think about what you are typing?

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Drugs are illegal but, it sure is easy as f8ck to get those. America has a different culture. We kicked the [SNIPPED] bastards out of our country because we're smarter than to follow some monarch who thinks their # doesn't stink. Don't like it, don't live here. Like another poster already stated those most likely to die from gun violence are themselves violent criminals.a reply to: SudoNim

edit on Tue Oct 3 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: DomJuan
Drugs are illegal but, it sure is easy as f8ck to get those. America has a different culture. We kicked the [SNIPPED] bastards out of our country because we're smarter than to follow some monarch who thinks their # doesn't stink. Don't like it, don't live here. Like another poster already stated those most likely to die from gun violence are themselves violent criminals.a reply to: SudoNim

So make all drugs legal then?
edit on Tue Oct 3 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Murder is already illegal
Assault with a deadly weapon is already illegal
Modifying a weapon to make it full auto is already illegal

What additional laws would've prevented this tragedy?

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen

Murder is already illegal
Assault with a deadly weapon is already illegal
Modifying a weapon to make it full auto is already illegal

What additional laws would've prevented this tragedy?

Impossible to answer.

What laws would've made the tragedy less likely to occur? Maybe look at the other civilised countries that don't have 5 mass murders a week.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join