It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Good Example for an Assault Rifle Ban???

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The topic is not despicable. If now is not a good time to discuss it, then when?

Folks on here acting like the possession of these weapons is the best thing since sliced bread.

There is a way to solve these mass murders, and sooner or later you people are going to face it. I hope you don't have to do it the hard way.

link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Once again...there is no such thing as an "assault rifle"!

Define for me what you believe an "assault rifle" to be (???)

link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: face23785

Google the difference between correlation and causation, then report back and we can proceed.

Why do you assume that I do not know the difference.

You see this is one of those little things that really does annoy me about the way some members express themselves on ATS.

I have a different view to you so it must be because you are ohhh so much smarter than me, the reason I must hold a different view is because I don't know the difference between causation and correlation, because I am a moron who needs it spoon fed to me. It could not possibly be that I just happened to have a different yet just as valid view based the information I have on the issue and my wider beliefs and views of the world.

I really don't understand why some members express themselves in this way by being so disrespectful to others.

If you knew the difference you wouldn't have pointed out that we're the nation with the most guns. We're the nation with the most guns, by far. But not with the highest gun violence rate or the highest murder rate. That indicates the 2 are not directly related.

Bottom line, you made an oversimplified post on a complicated topic and got called out on it.

link   
Good god OP!
The bodies aren't even cold yet and you are going to go after the tools this individual used? Here's a novel idea. Let's address the individual first...

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

From the sounds of it, the weapon that was used is already illegal but the fact is, as much as we strive to limit the carnage any single maniac can do, people who are really bent on mass murder will always find a way.

There's a balance between preserving our freedom and mitigating risks and at some point we have to accept that there's a degree of risk that will always be with us. We could live in the most totalitarian, oppressive society imaginable. Where we have no privacy, where we are constantly under the thumb of the state — and a person who wanted to kill a bunch of other people and was willing to give up his own life or freedom in the process could simply run his car up on the sidewalk, through a crowd of protesters, etc.

We have to be realists, we have to maintain perspective and we have to have courage. We can't afford to keep overreacting in moments of fear.

Ummm...WOW...that's the first time I've read something you've written...and been in complete agreement with it...

A very well reasoned perspective...I'm glad I read it...

There's hope for you yet...

YouSir

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

A car doesn't kill 50 people and wounding 500..

On the evening of 14 July 2016, a 19 tonne cargo truck was deliberately driven into crowds of people celebrating Bastille Day on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice, France, resulting in the deaths of 86 people[2] and the injury of 458 others.[4]

2016 Nice Attack

This pretty much sums up this topic.

link   

Right now I'm on my crappy Docomo IPhone so it's kinda hard to post a link.. But run this or others through your favorite search engine, ,,NRA once favored gun control...
edit on 2-10-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Do you cure the flu by preventing someone from throwing up? Preventing someone from sneezing? No, those are just symptoms. In order to cure something you must treat the underlying disease, not the symptoms.

Guns are just a symptom, a tool. The underlying disease is mental illness and derangement to the point of wanting to commit mass murder.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

If you knew the difference you wouldn't have pointed out that we're the nation with the most guns. We're the nation with the most guns, by far. But not with the highest gun violence rate or the highest murder rate

Yup and I never actually said that you had the highest gun violence rate I did say that there were 15000 gun deaths annually however, but never once said that was the highest gun or murder rate, I think you might want to read what I am writing rather than jumping all over it.

But sure, you just carry one stomping all over anything anyone has to say that does not aline with your own views.

link   

More confirmation that you're a fool.

link   

That's exactly right. I'll never support an 'assault weapons ban', but I can support some things like the universal background checks, much tougher penalties for gun-related crime, or amending the NFA to include bump-fire stocks and other contraptions that are clearly designed to circumvent that law. As long as its done correctly and respects 2A and the rights of lawful gun owners, I'm willing to listen.

I'm not, however, going to support a bad bill that overreaches, but far too often, that's exactly what the politicians try to cram down the throats of tens of millions of law-abiding gun owners.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

More confirmation that you're a fool.

Yeah cos he deserves that right??

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
Good god OP!
The bodies aren't even cold yet and you are going to go after the tools this individual used? Here's a novel idea. Let's address the individual first...

Cool,

Can you let us all know then when its ok to start talking about how this might also have something to do with the availability of the "tool" (killing tool) used in the attack?

Thanks

edit on 2-10-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
dp
edit on 2-10-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: vor78

Slippery slope, that. Be careful.

Don't necessarily take exception to what you're suggesting, but remember...politicians are liars and thieves. Give them an inch, and they'll take a mile.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I'm a strict Constitutional constructionist who believes the 2nd Amendment rights only apply to these guns:

Brown Bess
Charleville Musket
American-made Muskets
Long Rifles
Pattern 1776 Infantry Rifle
Ferguson Rifle
Brown Bess Musket

link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

If you knew the difference you wouldn't have pointed out that we're the nation with the most guns. We're the nation with the most guns, by far. But not with the highest gun violence rate or the highest murder rate

Yup and I never actually said that you had the highest gun violence rate I did say that there were 15000 gun deaths annually however, but never once said that was the highest gun or murder rate, I think you might want to read what I am writing rather than jumping all over it.

But sure, you just carry one stomping all over anything anyone has to say that does not aline with your own views.

I didn't say you said that. You did insinuate that our high gun violence rate is linked to the fact we have a lot of guns here. Unfortunately for you, the numbers simply don't bear this out. The only thing I'm stomping on is your inability to objectively analyze the numbers. All of your questions are answered by the data available, you just don't appear prepared to accept the answers that defy your pre-drawn conclusions.

link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Which "tool" would that be?
You have the source for that info?

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Oh, I agree. I support some restrictions in theory but real-world proposals from the political classes? Not so much. The universal background check proposals that I've seen, for instance, have been garbage. No way in hell would I have supported them. The same is true of that whole issue over the no-fly list. I support the idea, but not the proposed laws. The GOP proposal was almost OK. The Dems? Nope, not happening.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I'm a strict Constitutional constructionist who believes the 2nd Amendment rights only apply to these guns:

Brown Bess
Charleville Musket
American-made Muskets
Long Rifles
Pattern 1776 Infantry Rifle
Ferguson Rifle
Brown Bess Musket

Was this sarcasm?

If not, do you still believe blacks are 3/5ths of a person?

new topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join