It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Good Example for an Assault Rifle Ban???

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: vor78

And, lets not forget, that after Dunblane the number of the population in the UK that turned in firearms that fell under the ban was something like less than one percent of the entire populace. 160,000, and change, guns.

Total.
edit on 2-10-2017 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

originally posted by: Abysha

a reply to: JoshuaCox

If he used assault rifle, he already got them illegally. There are a lot of semi-automatic hunting rifles (it's not always illegal to hunt with them).

Semi autos are illegal?? I have never heard of this...Matter of fact automatic rifles are LEGAL...

Just really hard to get and super expensive!!

That's not what I said at all.

Sorry if I misunderstood a lot to keep up with.....why would he have gotten the gun illegally?

Maybe it's an issue with definitions. I consider assault rifles as actual assault rifles, not the semi automatic guns we can buy at a shop.

Are people calling semi automatic rifles "assault rifles"? If so, no wonder it's such a confusing debate.

edit on 2-10-2017 by Abysha because: formattinz

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I wonder why this hasn't happen sooner, or more often. I mean, with the violence in video games, TV and movies, even way back when I was a kid, and we played "Cowboys and Indians" and "Cops and Robbers" in political correctness, shooting indiscriminately at our friends and family members.

The guns have always been there. What's making people start to do these mass killings now?

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: intrepid

Does anyone even know WHAT weapon was used?

Not that I've seen as of 12:43 Eastern Time. I have seen that it was multiple rifles/weapons, though.

Full Auto weapons are already illegal.

No, they're not, they're just heavily regulated.

But that's beside the point--using any weapon to commit premeditated murder is always illegal, no matter if the gun is legally owned or not.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
No more than the last incident of a truck driving into a crowd and killing 50+ people was a case for truck bans.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Bam.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

If he used assault rifle, he already got them illegally. There are a lot of semi-automatic hunting rifles (it's not always illegal to hunt with them).

Semi autos are illegal?? I have never heard of this...Matter of fact automatic rifles are LEGAL...

Sorry if I misunderstood a lot to keep up with.....why would he have gotten the gun illegally?

Maybe it's an issue with definitions. I consider assault rifles as actual assault rifles, not the semi automatic guns we can buy at a shop.

Are people calling semi automatic rifles "assault rifles"? If so, no wonder it's such a confusing debate.

The main reason it's a confusing debate is because people with little to no knowledge on the subject like to show up and spout off memorized talking points. (not saying that's what you're doing).

In my experience, the more people get informed, the less anti-gun they become. There are exceptions of course.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
It's a Constitutional right. Just like speech, religion, etc.

Anyone willing or think it would be a good idea to convene a Constitutional Convention right now in American politics?

I, for one, don't.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Joshua.. It ain't gonna happen, just be thankful bazookas are difficult to haul around, Good god man this would have been taken care of after the first dozen mass slaughter, I even read right here on ATS the slaughter of innocent kids was fake news and the folks were actors, how the fk do one go up against that kind of thinking..

edit on 2-10-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

He could have been lobbing homemade bombs off of the balcony with a water-balloon slingshot, or lit dynamite out of a potato gun powered by compressed air. He could have had one grenade launcher (M203 style) and launched multiple grenades for 15 minutes that would have done more damage.

But, yes, let's talk about gun bans because of ridiculous arguments like yours.

Remember: Murder is always illegal, no matter the tool used, and there are MANY tools that could have been used other than rifles that could have caused as much and more death and injury.

It really is pathetic to jump into this barely half a day after the incident, while family members are probably STILL being contacted about the dead and injured. But, hey, don't let logical arguments and respect for the dead/injured stop you...

link   
An assault weapons ban would have prevented this massacre in Vegas?

Yes or no question.

link   

originally posted by: face23785

The main reason it's a confusing debate is because people with little to no knowledge on the subject like to show up and spout off memorized talking points. (not saying that's what you're doing).

In my experience, the more people get informed, the less anti-gun they become. There are exceptions of course.

So help me out. Is my definition correct or are semi automatic rifles considered assault rifles?

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

But, but,,,but we need them when we go squirrel hunting.

link   
a reply to: theantediluvian
wow, I agree. this is strange new territory.

link   
a reply to: windword

Incitement....

While we've seen this steadily growing for decades, the media is full on board with frothing the masses.

That's what has changed.

People are losing perspective and a sense of scale on nearly every topic.
edit on 2-10-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Your definition of 'assault rifles' as being fully automatic is actually the correct one. The popular definition of the term, pushed by the media and political hacks, however, includes certain semi-automatic rifles such as AR-15s in order conflate these with fully automatic weapons in order to further an anti-gun agenda.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
An assault weapons ban would have prevented this massacre in Vegas?

Yes or no question.

Donno but we didn't even try to find out.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Assault weapons are fully automatic, what the general public can buy are semi automatic rifles the look the same as some "assault" weapons. Their operation is still one pull, one shot. I hope that clears you question up.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Well, I often say I'm not right or left I just stand up for the Constitution.

While I do, personally, think that reasonable limitations on firearms are beneficial, I can't say where those would fall.

Much like I'm personally against abortion but support a woman's right to choose - because there's no way to legislate that choice.

I'm not sure there's a way to legislate the choice on what kind of firearm Americans can own short of arbitrary limits that would not stop tragedies like this, although it might limit the kill count. Can't say that for sure either though.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
There is no blood price high enough to convince enough American's to get on-board with sweeping weapon restrictions. It wouldn't matter if he killed 5000 people. I suspect the only weapon that most American's can agree should be fully restricted are those of the nuclear variety.

It is a strange world where there is almost no death toll high enough to convince the majority of people in the US that there is a problem.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join