It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Good Example for an Assault Rifle Ban???

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Who said we should ban them?!?

If anything , isn't this being the lone example maybe evidence against a ban???

I guess I misunderstood the point you were making.
Sorry.
It looks like a lot of people thought you were suggesting a gun ban as well.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Its not about the guns its about the person. just because theres no obvious reason doesnt mean you can blame the sentientless instrument on the deaths of these people.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: angeldoll

Do you cure the flu by preventing someone from throwing up? Preventing someone from sneezing? No, those are just symptoms. In order to cure something you must treat the underlying disease, not the symptoms.

Guns are just a symptom, a tool. The underlying disease is mental illness and derangement to the point of wanting to commit mass murder.

As IF that analogy works in this situation. It doesn't. It more like if you have a child, even an intellectually challenged or emotionally disturbed child who consistently puts his hand into the floor fan, you eventually man up and remove the floor fan.

And by the way, it easier in this country to buy a gun, than it is to get a quick appointment with mental health.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MConnalley
Its not about the guns its about the person. just because theres no obvious reason doesnt mean you can blame the sentientless instrument on the deaths of these people.

in this case, it might be about "the weapon used"....how many people would have been killed and wounded if the gunman only had a 6-shot revolver that he had to keep reloading?........

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

That's what many, not all, anti-gun folks want. They want that confusion.

An "assault rifle", IMHO, is something like the old,and very appropriately named, BAR (Browning Assault Rifle), or a select fire-military rifle, such as the M-16, and its ilk.

Not anything one can purchase at a gun shop, or even a gun show. But some would have us believe, and some of us do, that anything with the tacti-cool "black rifle" add ons is an "assault rifle", and therefore so much scarier than my lever-action Winchester.
edit on 10/2/2017 by seagull because: spelling.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

You have heard of speed loaders, correct? I shoot my 6-shooter on a regular basis, and I have multiple speed loaders for ease, and yes, speed of reload. On a good day, I can very nearly match any magazine fed handgun in speed and number of rounds down range. Others with even more practice, can match it.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Don't know if anyone has posted this info yet, but the shooter may have been using a device which allows a semi-auto to simulate full auto firing. Apparently the device is legal.

www.theguardian.com...

From listening to the footage of the attack, Ayoob said that the gunshots “did not sound as consistent” as he would typically expect from a fully automatic M-16 or AK-47. “The pace of fire is a little bit erratic. At one point it’s slower than it is at another point.”

Paddock could have used a Hellfire or a bump-fire device, which attach to normal semi-automatic rifles and allow them to fire more rapidly, Ayoob said. These devices are legal, but rarely used by serious shooters, he said.

“It’s hard to shoot accurately with them, and serious shooters want accuracy,” he said. He called them “not terribly popular” and “something a gun geek would want”.

For the Las Vegas shooter, though, the accuracy of these devices would not have mattered, since he was “hosing a two-acre area with 30,000 targets,” nearly every shot he fired would have hit someone.

On its website, Bump Fire Systems advertises the device as permitting “simulated full-auto firing” that is “absolutely legal”. It sells Bump Fire stocks for $99.99.

The Hellfire system uses a hand-operated crank to hit the trigger of the gun more rapidly than a person could fire it, Ayoob said, which could explain apparent changes in the pace of the fire.

edit on 2-10-2017 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

You have heard of speed loaders, correct? I shoot my 6-shooter on a regular basis, and I have multiple speed loaders for ease, and yes, speed of reload. On a good day, I can very nearly match any magazine fed handgun in speed and number of rounds down range. Others with even more practice, can match it.

In all fairness, the average citizen can't do that haha but just to show what's possible.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

...and 2017 has sooooo much to offer. All good things shall be ours if we just hand in our firearms...

Umm... No. As in never. As in no time soon.

No, I'll not be waiting in my living room to fill 'em full of lead if they dare come to confiscate...which I doubt will ever happen...I'll have sufficient warning to hide 'em better than they can find 'em.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

That's the stuff!!

He's sooo slow, though...
Obviously, I'm no where near that fast, but that's exactly what a speed loader allows.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

I'm so sick of people like you pushing their own political agendas during a tragedy while you sit up on your perch. Its incredibly disrespectful and tacky af. People are injured and dying and ppl like you cannot seem to do anything than whine an moan about something that is at the heart of what this country was founded on. If you don't like it get out. Until then you could at least show a little compassion.
Heaven forbid anything like this happens to you, or someone you love. Maybe then you will begin to understand the true weight of the situation. (I would never wish this on anyone. Please do not take it as such.)

My question to you:

Have you ever put your life on the line to help someone other than yourself, just out of the goodness of your own heart? Have you ever been completely selfless?

~Spin
edit on 2-10-2017 by spincycle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

An "assault rifle", IMHO, is something like the old,and very appropriately named, BAR (Browning Assault Rifle), or a select fire-military rifle, such as the M-16, and its ilk.

Not anything one can purchase at a gun shop, or even a gun show. But some would have us believe, and some of us do, that anything with the tacti-cool "black rifle" add ons is an "assault rifle", and therefore so much scarier than my lever-action Winchester.

I'm gonna paint skulls on my little 22 and see if it gets reclassified.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

so you could kill 58+ and wound 500+ others from a 31-story room window, 2000 ft. away, with a 6 shooter......so, why wouldn't he have used that instead?
edit on 2-10-2017 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Its not just the firearm but the planning and intent to kill as many people as possible. He was high up in a tower overlooking an open air, crowded venue, at night...

...the worst of all possible scenarios. Only a really deviant, cold and calculating mind would ever conceive of such a horrible plan.

There is literally nothing more gun legislation would do to control this kind of persons intent.

How hotel security let this many guns into that building at that time and place would be a good place to start.

Actually...with th eright equipment those are perfect conditions to kill alot of people. the man had 3 days to set up. im surprised he didnt smuggle in a mini gun or a refurbished mg-42

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

I'm gonna paint skulls on my little 22 and see if it gets reclassified.

California will update their legislation in short order declaring it an "assault weapon".

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

A .22, lol how cute.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit
Don't know if anyone has posted this info yet, but the shooter may have been using a device which allows a semi-auto to simulate full auto firing. Apparently the device is legal.

www.theguardian.com...

From listening to the footage of the attack, Ayoob said that the gunshots “did not sound as consistent” as he would typically expect from a fully automatic M-16 or AK-47. “The pace of fire is a little bit erratic. At one point it’s slower than it is at another point.”

Paddock could have used a Hellfire or a bump-fire device, which attach to normal semi-automatic rifles and allow them to fire more rapidly, Ayoob said. These devices are legal, but rarely used by serious shooters, he said.

“It’s hard to shoot accurately with them, and serious shooters want accuracy,” he said. He called them “not terribly popular” and “something a gun geek would want”.

For the Las Vegas shooter, though, the accuracy of these devices would not have mattered, since he was “hosing a two-acre area with 30,000 targets,” nearly every shot he fired would have hit someone.

On its website, Bump Fire Systems advertises the device as permitting “simulated full-auto firing” that is “absolutely legal”. It sells Bump Fire stocks for $99.99.

The Hellfire system uses a hand-operated crank to hit the trigger of the gun more rapidly than a person could fire it, Ayoob said, which could explain apparent changes in the pace of the fire.

It's called a trigger mod or a binary trigger....Watch the whole video. I linked this earlier as round per minute comparison to the Vegas shooting....The problem is that this often causes malfunctions which would explain the long pauses between
volleys....Watch the whole video and listen

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

A .22, lol how cute.

But it will have skulls!

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

You're the one who brought the topic up. I merely pointed out the fact that revolvers, in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing, could wreak havok, and are easily, and quickly, reloaded with speedloaders.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Practically zero murders in the US of A are done with assault weapons. Assault weapons are full auto, and they are already much more controlled. Semi auto is what an AR is, and few murders with those. What they really need to do is make murder illegal. I have no idea why nobody has thought of that yet.

In other words, MURDERERS DON'T GIVE ONE DAMN ABOUT GUN LAWS. You can get put to death for murder and that is not a deterrent, no jail time or fine for any weapons will matter. The NWO wants to take your guns away, and more accurately, the Satanic NWO who want total control. And do not question the extremes that they will go to to accomplish this. But it will fail.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join