It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new psychologically unstable

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
My father-in-law recently had a birthday party. He wore a shirt that said, "The First 70 Years of Childhood Are the Toughest". He's now 71 and his life is complete mess. He's in the middle of divorcing his second wife. There was a point earlier this year where my brother-in-law took away all his guns. Thank God he has a really juicy pension!

Men 65 to 75 are very dangerous. It's a very difficult part of life. Their body is failing. Fears about retirement prevent them from sleeping every night. Their children are gone. Their relationship with their wife may not be very good. Job prospects suck. NO PENSION. 401K is more like a 201K or even a 101K. They have tons of debt from mortgage or paying for kids education. These men may become desperate and insane. So expect to see more mass shootings over the next few years. I'm really surprise it doesn't happen a lot more in this country.

There's only so much sleep deprivation, economic insecurity, and health insecurity a population can take!

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

That has to be the most ridiculous assessment of elderly men I have ever..EVER..heard. Jesus, what do you want, for all of us to just die at 60? Maybe they should just commit us all at ..what? 65? Dangerous my ass.

I removed the insult. I think it's rather obvious.

www.federalcharges.com...

The truth is complicated. Most mass shooters are young, white men, and they tend to look like every other young, white male. Most of them obtained guns legally. They had friends and family who cared about them. They seemed like normal people until they committed their unthinkable crimes.

A quick bit of research shows that most mass shooters in the U.S.were between 25 - 45 years old. The oldest, not including the most recent, was 52. How old are YOU?
edit on 2-10-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Most men don't resort to mass murder though.

That is an extremely rare event.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   
This is actually a really good point.

I know that depression is a massive underreported problem in men over 65 and it probably comes down to a lot of the reasons you point out In the OP.

I would say however that this is not true of all men in that age group. For example its possible you could be like my old man, he set up a small gardening business, sold the family home after mum died, now goes on holidays for half the year, does his gardening in the summer for the old ladies around the town while looking after his grandchildren and has never been happier.

Also I really don't think its very healthy to say that mass shooters do what they do just because they have some kind of mental illness, the effects that has on the stigma of mental health can be catastrophic.

So I think you could almost say that old age is what you make of it, but for some when things like illness takeover and other things that are out with our control I think it can be a very dark time indeed.

Good thread.
edit on 2-10-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   

So this is your assumption?,or your opinion,by using one example of a person you know,you base everything on your opinion,not well thought out as usual,I fit in that category,and some of us have actually made plans,what you described could be anything

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

So this is your assumption?,or your opinion,by using one example of a person you know,you base everything on your opinion,not well thought out as usual,I fit in that category,and some of us have actually made plans,what you described could be anything

My father-in-law watches Fox News all the time. Maybe his singular view of reality is why he's so insane.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I did not all ALL were insane.

Judging by your response, are you happy in your life. Do you have guns?

The definition of inanity is making an argument with something someone else never said. I never said people over 65 were responsible for all the mass murders. Are you capable of hearing what you read?

edit on 2-10-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yes, thank God it is a rare event. I'm surprised it does not happen more. Everyone I know is stressed out about something. Either losing a job, parent, or some illness.

Marijuana should be legal so people have a cheap and easy way to cope with their problems.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   

I am quite happy. My health has improved, I recently came into a bit of extra money I wasn't expecting and my outlook on life is optimistic. My children are in good health and are happy and that's my biggest worry. And yes, I am a gun owner, with a concealed carry license in the state of Illinois.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Thanks for you opinion.

I think it says more about your stability and fears than about that segment of the human race.

ETA: I see further pronouncements from you here indicate that you despise, maybe even hate, some older folks in your life.

Careful of those emotions, they can become unchecked very easily and who knows what acts you may commit.
edit on 2-10-2017 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   

That's age-ism, and it's just as deplorable as racism. You should be banned.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Men 65 to 75 are very dangerous. It's a very difficult part of life. Their body is failing. Fears about retirement prevent them from sleeping every night. Their children are gone. Their relationship with their wife may not be very good. Job prospects suck. NO PENSION. 401K is more like a 201K or even a 101K. They have tons of debt from mortgage or paying for kids education. These men may become desperate and insane.So expect to see more mass shootings over the next few years. I'm really surprise it doesn't happen a lot more in this country.

The definition of inanity is making an argument with something someone else never said. I never said people over 65 were responsible for all the mass murders. Are you capable of hearing what you read?

Are you capable of understanding what you wrote?

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Men 65 to 75 are very dangerous....

????

This isn't racism because you do not talk about race but it is the logic that is creating that kind of division that leads to fear and hate. Isn't this kind of reasoning dangerous ?

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Ha haaaa ha, great point!! I get it, his depression and sad state of mind is because of Fox!! Question, how do you sleep at night?!? Maybe you should look at yourself there Budda! a reply to: dfnj2015

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I a reply to: dfnj2015

These men may become desperate and insane. So expect to see more mass shootings over the next few years. I'm really surprise it doesn't happen a lot more in this country.

Fear the elderly.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I think we can say any age can be a test for a man- adolescence, with it's hormonal surges, young adulthood with it's onslaught of sudden responsibilities (work and family), adulthood with changes in career, relationships (more people getting divorced in their 30's than 60's) ....

Each age has it's different struggles and challenges. There are just as many men in their 60's and 70's that are content with their lives as those that aren't.

But often, there is two points to consider when talking about their potential for violent crime-

With age comes wisdom. Less impulsive, more reasonable. For most humans.

Also, there is a drop in hormone production, in particular, testosterone, which brings about it's own challenges, but often means less desire to fight and be violent...

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I raise your "calling the kettle black" to maybe YOU are calling the kettle black!

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

I'm not your buddy.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
This is actually a really good point.

I know that depression is a massive underreported problem in men over 65 and it probably comes down to a lot of the reasons you point out In the OP.

I would say however that this is not true of all men in that age group. For example its possible you could be like my old man, he set up a small gardening business, sold the family home after mum died, now goes on holidays for half the year, does his gardening in the summer for the old ladies around the town while looking after his grandchildren and has never been happier.

Also I really don't think its very healthy to say that mass shooters do what they do just because they have some kind of mental illness, the effects that has on the stigma of mental health can be catastrophic.

So I think you could almost say that old age is what you make of it, but for some when things like illness takeover and other things that are out with our control I think it can be a very dark time indeed.

Good thread.

They also all were on medically psychoactive drugs for depression - drugs which affect brain chemistry to try and
eliminate depression. They way they work is to inhibit the ability to think about the future.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64
I agree, this is a ridiculous sweeping summary of older males - it's completely wrong too. Clearly written by a young man/boy - the brain evolves to be able to cope with hard times better the older you get.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join