It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astra 600, Opinions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
So it would appear that an Astra 600 might be finding a new forever home this week. Price is super reasonable mostly due to holster wear and that it is numbered in either 35,000 range or the 53,000 range (if i remember correctly) so definitely not a NAZI delivered gun. But would be a twice purchased gun. Comes with a holster and two magazines that I did not closely examine for marks or numbers. All in all seems a good gun that has been floating around here and there for 70 years. Since there is not a significant history to devalue, I may consider a refinishing to preserve and extend its functional life.

The fit of the slide to the frame alone impressed me beyond words and given the limited production, i can see me dropping the cash. Basically what I am asking is if anyone has experienced one of these personally to give that yea or nay.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

en.m.wikipedia.org...

I’m guessing the price is due to the historical value.

Seems a hell of a lot, but if you’re a collector I guess it may be worth it.

Personally I’d tell you to spend that on 30 odd AR15s and stock up an armoury...
Realistically, that will probably come in more useful in the long run.

edit on 1-10-2017 by Hazardous1408 because: Autocorrect.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

He is talking about serial number I think, not price range

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Quite right, that is the serial number range. Asking price is only $300, which would be a selling point in of itself. I since I am not a place under glass type of collector but "hey this is a cool gun let's see how it shoots" type of collector. Come to think of it only two revolvers are still produced at the same factory. Everything else has either relocated with new marks or no longer produced. This would fall in the latter category.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
What a fool I am.

Learn something new everyday.
Thanks guys.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
What a fool I am.

Learn something new everyday.
Thanks guys.

Not a fool. A wise person (sometimes) . A wise man knows that he does not know. And admits a mistake .
(BTW) I am a firearms owner , and when first read I thought the same..Damn , thats a very high price for that weapon . Is it 24k gold (which would make it worthless as a firearm anyway)

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

A wise person (sometimes).

Gracias, mi amigo.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   

I know where I might get a gold chromate finish for the frame and slide...but nah, not worth the risk. They might be able to do and old style parkerized finish if they still have the tanks and chemicals for it. Been a long time since I worked for Parker-Hannifin.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

I know where I might get a gold chromate finish for the frame and slide...but nah, not worth the risk. They might be able to do and old style parkerized finish if they still have the tanks and chemicals for it. Been a long time since I worked for Parker-Hannifin.

Now that I realized that was the serial number and not the going price , I believe that you are sane...

Nice find.
I found an auction and purchased a genuine M1 manufactured by IBM (of all companies) for WW2. Seems they converted part of their manufacturing facilities to make the M1s

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Interesting, I never knew that. I always thought they only worked in conjunction with NCR (National Cash Registers) on breaking the Enigma machines with Alan Turing.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Tell the truth , I didnt believe it either. I thought , what the heck I will go for it.
After the purchase I was really amazed that IBM was stamped into the barrel along with a serial number. Had a low serial number as well . I even had to do a search online before I believed

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Decent price, If you want it, go for it.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Alas, timing is everything. It was placed on reserve Saturday and neither guy working today knows who it is reserved for, only the owner of the store knows for sure. Although Roger thought it still might be for me because I was going to buy this week if the guy online didn't get motivated. He hadn't returned any calls with further interest.

In any case it is all good. There is a Mauser HS c made in Italy of all places that Rodger wants me to research a bit for him. A 7 or 8 shot 380 that the books have a wide set of manufacturing years. My initial guess is mid 1950's but digging into the barrel marks will tell.

ETA:
And this is why we research what we don't know. Well made and well fitted wood grips and a low serial number of 23xx do not make a gun older. Barrel mark research says 1982 as year of manufacture of this Italian licensed Mauser.

edit on 2-10-2017 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join