It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is karma the reason for our existence?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

Nah the idea of Karma seems to be just another man made tool of oppression. Seen too many non deserving idiots get away scot-free for there to be "law of the universe" balancing out.
As to the meaning & purpose of life...we each ascribe our own meaning to life. We can act blindly and say we are not moral agents, or we can take care and be responsible for our own actions.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

I think meaning in our lives is like seeing animals in the clouds. I'm not sure what we think as meaningful is nothing more the self-delusion.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I think Western people misuse the word karma (the Buddhist term).

Karma from kamma (in Pali) means action which is associated with intention.

The concept that actions and intentions have consequences or affect future birth is not called karma, though it can be described as 'karmic existence' or something like that.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:34 AM
link   
As far as to the existence of intentions having consequences, you can observe it for yourself.

For example, in Buddhism, greed is considered an ill quality with ill consequences. You can observe the result yourself.

If it is present, then instantly there is some sort of suffering. The person has an insatiable desire, and that desire causes suffering.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

You are probably correct. I am trying to make karma fit into my definition where they are probably not the same. I will have to do some more research on the history and exact definition of karma. Thank you for the wake up call.

Would you perhaps know another theory or term I should be using instead, besides crazy?

I have absolutely no proof of any of this and yes, I am shooting from the hip. But since I started traveling down this road, life has started to make sense and contentment is close by, a lot closer than it was before when I believed in religion.

Isn't that what this reality is? What we make of it. As long as the distortion doesn't cause a loss of harmony in dealing with our surroundings and the people we come into contact with.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I agree. But I haven't found better answers at this time. So instead of just having fun with the coulds, why not have fun with life? Maybe the challenge is to create your own version of reality while maintaining balance with the world around you. Self delusion could actually be good if you relate it properly to your surroundings. Sometimes just being content and at peace has a positive influence to your surroundings and the people included in it.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Do you think there are any positive desires out there? Are there any benefits to giving in to the wants of the flesh?I

Will appreciating this world and taking enjoyment from is lead to suffering?

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
ONLY if you're into existential guilt,like Cathlolics...I think just WANDERING through is best.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

Probably not. Considering determination of the qualities/factors that are 'weighed' in karma are subjective.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

I think desire for well-being is a good desire.

I study Buddhism but I wouldn't exactly call myself a Buddhist. I still question whether it is actually wise to venture to eliminate suffering, and I have not (yet) deemed existence something not worthy or something one should venture to leave/exit. I am not sure if we should view the world in that way.

As far as your other questions what comes to mind is this sutta:

Actually I can't find the sutta so I will just paraphrase - He was making an analogy of how he crossed a river or a stream, and crossed over to the other shore. The waters were turbulent. He said the way he crossed over was by not trying to move too fast forward, nor by standing still. If he swam too fast he was caught in currents or spun about (or something like that) and if he went too slow or stood still, he sank. So that is how he crossed over, by not moving too fast forward or standing still.

I guess if you were to apply that to your question, it would be to not get ahead of yourself (or cut things out too fast) and always be led by wisdom.

Me personally, I do not try to 'do' anything. I just try to pay attention and understand, and once there is understanding you know the best thing to do.

The Buddha described a universal test for if something was worthy to do or not. Whether something should be done, or left undone.. The way to determine it is by contemplating the results - by doing it what will be the result? Will it be a good result or a bad result? If its good, its a worthy thing to do.. (I know its obvious.)

Will appreciating this world and taking enjoyment from it lead to suffering? ..

I used to bring up this question a lot in forums. One counter point was - if there is wisdom and understanding, it will not lead to suffering. Another point - if there is wisdom and understanding, would there be any 'enjoyment' in the first place? From my understanding, existing in this nature and body, there is suffering when one's spirit/chemicals/or whatever goes from 'high' to 'low'; and whatever notions/things supported those conditions - for it, change is inevitable and loss is inevitable. All things that exist undergo change, and have a beginning and an end.

posted on Oct, 3 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
a reply to: Woodcarver

You are probably correct. I am trying to make karma fit into my definition where they are probably not the same. I will have to do some more research on the history and exact definition of karma. Thank you for the wake up call.

Would you perhaps know another theory or term I should be using instead, besides crazy?

I have absolutely no proof of any of this and yes, I am shooting from the hip. But since I started traveling down this road, life has started to make sense and contentment is close by, a lot closer than it was before when I believed in religion.

Isn't that what this reality is? What we make of it. As long as the distortion doesn't cause a loss of harmony in dealing with our surroundings and the people we come into contact with.

Reality is the world we live in. All of the stories about magic and ghosts are just people who believe in those things. Reality is what you can prove through observation and testing. So, i ask everybody to learn the proper ways of coming to conclusions with the proper tools, and lucky for us ( no patronizing intended) a lot of people have done a lot of work for us already. Educate yourself in some field of science. It is a prerequisite for any true understanding of the world, and the best part is, you will have answers. Real true answers to the big questions.

Religious texts are great for the poetic thoughts about how to make it through the world. I love reading any of them. They give you a snapshot of how and what some people thought millenia ago, but they will not give you any answers that are worth using.

But.....

Science undeniably gives you answers that you can use to make your life and everyone else's around you better.

Do you have a career or are you working toward aomething?

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Me personally, I do not try to 'do' anything. I just try to pay attention and understand, and once there is understanding you know the best thing to do.

But that is doing something. You are paying attention, trying to make sense of it for your well being, for your adaptation, your forward motion - it does not mean that you will be set free. The facts, the reality may be overwhelming and create a setback (in the form of mental illness? anxiety?).

What then? Stepping out of one's comfort zone to take a leap of faith in karmic consequence? Why not if change is what one seeks...any change - or the spin of the wheel of fortune.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join