It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truck drivers refusing to deliver relief to millions of Puerto Ricans?!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
As someone who has many family members living in Puerto Rico, this makes me sick to my stomach. This is such an infuriating sequence of events. The U.S. has sent so many billions of dollars to Puerto Rico over the years, WHERE THE *UCK DID IT ALL GO??!! They are right in hurricane alley, taxpayer money should have been spent to harden the infrastructure against such an inevitability. Not lining the pockets of greedy bureaucrats and corporations. They should have had an effective hurricane response plan in the works for DECADES.

All of this *ull# grandstanding and politicizing of this unprecedented island disaster is disgusting. San Juan's mayor hates Trump. Fine. Trump hates San Juan's mayor. Fine. At least he sent much needed supplies to the island. Hate him all you want, hell, I don't like him either, but Trump is not the problem here!

The fact that the truck drivers are refusing to help because of the earlier passage of a law that they say hurts them? GROW THE EFF UP. There are millions of people that are counting on you to just do your damn job! You are butthurt? Fine. Apply the lube while you are delivering the disaster relief! Don't sit around crying about how bad you have it while the island disintegrates into chaos.

Politicians and corrupt corporations are the absolute scum of the earth.

/RANT

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ZombieZygote

First, brightest blessings to your family. I'm so sorry they have to deal with all this. I hope they're muddling through okay.

As far as the drivers, do you know if this is the drivers themselves doing this? Or is it coming from the union brass?

Do you know how many/what percentage of drivers are respecting this strike? As opposed to those who just can't get to the distribution centers?

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Democrats will try everything to slow delivery just to make Trump look bad, even if it kills innocent people. Unions are controlled by Democrats, this is disgusting. The Dems can attack innocent people of any disaster to gain politically, this should scare people, especially anyone living in cities and disaster zones.

How many have to die as they abuse their power because of their fetish for making Trump look bad?

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

First, brightest blessings to your family. I'm so sorry they have to deal with all this. I hope they're muddling through okay.

As far as the drivers, do you know if this is the drivers themselves doing this? Or is it coming from the union brass?

Do you know how many/what percentage of drivers are respecting this strike? As opposed to those who just can't get to the distribution centers?

I appreciate the kind words, friend.

From what I understand, it is mostly the union brass that is using this tragedy to negotiate better pay/benefits.
Gossip is floating around that any driver that attempts to leave the dock with aid will be immediately fired. Not sure how truthful that statement is, but it would help explain why good-hearted drivers aren't giving the finger to the union. Even though they should.

As far as percentages, I'm not sure. But I would like to think that most of them would just like to steer clear of the politics and help their fellow islanders!

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Sounds like a sickening case of "never let a good crisis go to waste".

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Democrats will try everything to slow delivery just to make Trump look bad, even if it kills innocent people. Unions are controlled by Democrats, this is disgusting. The Dems can attack innocent people of any disaster to gain politically, this should scare people, especially anyone living in cities and disaster zones.

How many have to die as they abuse their power because of their fetish for making Trump look bad?

As much as I despise both ends of the political paradigm, I can't disagree with what you are saying. It is sick.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

From what I understand, it is mostly the union brass that is using this tragedy to negotiate better pay/benefits.

That's pretty darn low. Imagine if they did the opposite... rallied for the crisis and became the heroes who saved the day. They could then negotiate from a position of not just strength, but honor and nobility and necessity for their services.

Gossip is floating around that any driver that attempts to leave the dock with aid will be immediately fired. Not sure how truthful that statement is, but it would help explain why good-hearted drivers aren't giving the finger to the union. Even though they should.

And that's all it would take is one scumbag starting the rumor, and even if it's not true, the drivers would have no way of knowing, and they have to think of their families and the consequences as well. Being a martyr helps no one.

As far as percentages, I'm not sure. But I would like to think that most of them would just like to steer clear of the politics and help their fellow islanders!

I think it's safe to assume the majority want to do the right thing and the good thing. It's just always the loudest who get the attention and drown out the rest.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
Sounds like a sickening case of "never let a good crisis go to waste".

Indeed it does. *ucking scumbags.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

This is an unbelievable situation...what a bunch of scumbags!

I have no idea what the largest vehicle is that can be driven without a "special" truck driver's licence, but we should send whatever those vehicles are by the boatload (literally) and let regular drivers use them for the delivery of the supplies.

#crew the Unions and politicians for this horrific behavior!

I hope your family comes out of this healthy and safe. Sending prayers to all.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   

You have every right to be p!$$ed off.

This is the time for people to band together, when disaster strikes you roll up your sleeves and politicians need to be the rock in a time of crisis. Sadly it will take time, and I agree there should've been a contingency plan in place, politicians never learn, they are like a kid annoying a cat, they'll get scratched but will still annoy the cat and will get scratched again and then they'll think 'well maybe i should've worn some gloves' that is politicians problem-they react rather than pro-act and if they had plans in place then maybe this disaster relief would not have been so prolonged.

When a storm bigger than your nation is about to hit, you'd think that politicians would think ahead. Nope. They'll show up after the fact to garner attention and support.

You have a valid reason to vent your frustration and hopefully your voice and the voice of others will give politicians a swift kick in the ass and force them into action.

edit on 1-10-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I agree. Good luck to your family.

Hopefully NOW the government over there will invest in their infrastructure.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Democrats will try everything to slow delivery just to make Trump look bad, even if it kills innocent people. Unions are controlled by Democrats, this is disgusting.

I guess the AFL-CIO didn't get the message:

The Teamsters union and the AFL-CIO, a federation of more than 50 unions, are working together to recruit truckers to travel to Puerto Rico and help distribute a stockpile of relief supplies. Read me

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I agree, this is a Union problem. Only reason to bring Dems in is because they are usually bed buddies, but this I place squarely on the union.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
I agree, this is a Union problem.

Maybe there but not with the ones here, they're trying to help.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I agree, this is a Union problem.

Maybe there but not with the ones here, they're trying to help.

I dislike all unions, but the only one who can be talked bad about this particular issue (unless a larger conspiracy later surfaces) is the one in PR.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

I dislike all unions, but the only one who can be talked bad about this particular issue (unless a larger conspiracy later surfaces) is the one in PR.

I'm only against public unions, if private groups want to unionize that is their business.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I'm only against public unions, if private groups want to unionize that is their business.

Public Unions are a double whammy for me, but I don't like Unions in general (some break the mold though and are fine).

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Public Unions are a double whammy for me...

Without derailing this thread further I just think all public unions should be made illegal.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Has your family in Puerto Rico talked about the road conditions? I'm sure they can't speak for the entire island, but at least in their little corner of the island?

I ask because of this:

THE REAL STORY ON PUERTO RICO

All roads in Puerto Rico are completely cleared and carrying traffic. There are no blocked roads. Roads were already predominantly clear, allowing the full three hour drive across the island unhindered, on the morning of September 27. Residents are asking where all the stories about blocked roads are originating.

I'm not sure what to make of it, and I have no idea how to independently confirm or debunk it!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join