It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PUERTO RICO - A truth that must be told.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Perhaps it's time for Puerto Rico to get serious about state hood. Didn't the citizens of PR vote it down because they didn't want the obligations that go with it?

Stats below, the first given being the major bloc
Puerto Rican status referendum, 1967..........60% +Commonwealth.
Puerto Rican status referendum, 1993..........48%+ Commonwealth...46% Statehood
Puerto Rican status referendum, 1998..........50%+ None of the above, 46%+ Statehood*
Puerto Rican status referendum, 2012..........61%+ Statehood...33%+ Free association
Puerto Rican status referendum, 2017..........97%+ Statehood...-3.0% others

*six choices were given in that referendum.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

But whats her name is a hard liberal dem sort and it really don't matter if most americans knew anything other than that as they hear her pie hole run on all the kill Trump news outlets.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: smurfy

Why would you assume that?

We have equally low turnout in the states and no one assumes we are intimidated into not voting or are boycotting. Nope. Everyone just assumes no one cares to vote.

I believe that I used the phrase initially, "the pity was that only around a quarter of the population actually participated, why, I don't know" That follows that there is no assumption to begin with, that does not mean you cannot be cautious, nor take anything at face value either, that behoves you to look at other possibilities, as I think any observer, officially or otherwise should do. I happen to think of possibilities for why, rather than "nobody cares", indeed it could be just the opposite, and then you still need to ask why.
Actually, your own statement itself is a huge assumption, in fact it is all about assumption...

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Perhaps it's time for Puerto Rico to get serious about state hood. Didn't the citizens of PR vote it down because they didn't want the obligations that go with it?

There has been plenty of votes for statehood. The step that needs to happen right now though is in Congress. Worth noting, both Republicans and Democrats have statehood for Puerto Rico in their party platforms. But neither seems to want to act on it for whatever reasons.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Yes that is true, one of the main reasons is that is going to be a financial nightmare for the US tax payers as more than half of the PR population is in poverty level.

Welfare in the Island has gone increasingly high in the last two decades.

Also the Federal government wants the Island to consolidate their 78 municipalities that each have independent local government to 9 Districts that right now have no power at all, to eliminate waste and abuse.

PR is only 112 miles long by 40 wide having so much local government is a drain to the coffers and an over kill of government officials.

Many small municipalities are not big enough to have all the local officials they have under pay roll.

The biggest drain in the Island is the government retirement fund, it rivals any big city in the US, where the retirement benefits equal 100 percent, that is outrageous.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   

IN fact, Puerto Ricans have voted for Statehood int he last five referendums. The needed actions are on Congress where Republicans have killed two efforts in committee.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Is that because the US changed the status of Puerto Rico's ability to issue bonds, basically making them all worthless and creating the avalanche of debt that the island is now facing?

We made this mess for our fellow Americans, we can help them out of it. Statehood (or an act of Congress) would allow Puerto Rico to bankrupt and get protection allowing debt restructuring.

And don't bother to claim special knowledge about PR ... I know where you're from.

I also know what political agenda you serve.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Big Mistake, Gryphon66, attacking me will take you no where, I am not afraid of you or afraid of anybody and BTW I know who you are too, so don't try to play here with me.

I am too old to be intimidated by you or anybody else that dare to do so.

Next time I see you I will remind you of that too.

I will not address you again. I dislike you know.

edit on 2-10-2017 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
NM
edit on 2-10-2017 by Gryphon66 because: NM

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Willful ignorance has replace common sense.

<< 1   >>

join