It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

daughter almost cut her toe off last night. wife passed out and busted her head. crazy night

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
its crazy how fast things can turn on a dime. my daughter is 5 and i was putting her in bed last night and my wife and i were going to watch a movie. my daughter went to get off her bed for a second and stepped down with her toe on the bed frame. well her toe slid in between the frame and the box spring and she yanked it out real fast and when she did it ripped a huge chunk away...it was bleeding everywhere.
i panicked because a few years ago i cut my finger off and i started having memories of that.
i could not tell how bad it was cause it was bleeding everywhere.
i scooped her up and ran into the bathroom and my wife followed. by now my daughter is screaming.
i was trying to hold her while my wife ran water over her foot so we could see how bad it was. my wife was having a hard time so i passed my daughter to her to hold while i rinse her foot. about 5 seconds after my wife grabbed her she said she was going to pass out then handed her back.
i turned with my daughter to go to the tub to rinse there and my wife hit the deck #ing hard. busted her head on the counter and was laying there with her head and shoulders up against the wall and the rest of her body on the floor.
i was already sitting in the tub with all my clothes on with the water going and i look back and my wife is on the floor shaking and my daughter is screaming"why did this happen"

at that point i could still not tell how bad her toe was so i had to focus on that and just let my wife lay there shaking. i was trying to rinse her toe while screaming at my wife. after maybe 30-45 seconds i got out of the tub with my daughter and wrapped a towel around her toe and put her on our bed then went to my wife. i smacked my wife in the face and she opened her eyes immediately. still laying on the floor dazed.
i told i had to take our daughter to the ER and to just lay on the bed and we will be back. as i was gong out the door with my daughter my wife ran out and said she had to come with. she didnt have any shoes on. i had wet pants and socks on. blood all over me and the bathroom.

we get to the ER and they start at it and i can finally see how bad it was. not as bad as i thought but still very bad. huge chunk of skin ripped open just hanging there. they cleaned it and stitched it then put some type of glue on her toe and then wrapped these stripes around it to keep it closed tight.

that was the end of the night.

craziness man....

# can happen so fast.

i still feel so terrible that i had to let my wife just lay there because i had to tend to our daughter. it was bad.

just figured i would share. you never know when you have to get your ass in gear and handle #.

rough night

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Yikes. You remained calm and took care of it though. Good job! How is everyone doing today? How is your little one doing, and your wife? Watch for signs of concussion.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Is there a reason you didn't call for help? An ambulance? I mean your wife's head injury could have been really serious, and you yelling at her and slapping her makes me think that you weren't that calm, and maybe shouldn't have been driving.

Just saying.

Hope everyone is doing well today!

edit on 1-10-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
Yikes. You remained calm and took care of it though. Good job! How is everyone doing today? How is your little one doing, and your wife? Watch for signs of concussion.

they are both fine. my daughter is walking fine just compensating for her toe a little bit. has not said it hurts or anything.
my wife seems fine too. no signs of anything.

she was up for several hours last night before she went to sleep.

now my mind is running and thinking of how bad it could have been if i was at work.
if my daughter was hurt and my wife passed out? what then?
what if she really hit her head on a corner or something?

i am freaking out about all that stuff now.

there is not really anything i can do about the what if's. i hate it

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Is there a reason you didn't call for help? An ambulance? I mean your wife's head injury could have been really serious, and you yelling at her and slapping her makes me think that you weren't that calm, and maybe shouldn't have been driving.

Just saying.

Hope everyone is doing well today!

i just wasnt thinking right i guess. it happened pretty fast. i had 2 of them hurt and i did not want to be away. my wife passes out when she gets blood drawn. ive seen her go out in that setting but not this.
i was just in a scramble to handle it. its not like i was cracking her. when i put our daughter on the bed i yelled at her a couple more times and then i went across her cheek and she opened her eyes right away.

its hard to think straight when # happens fast.

one time we got a rock thrown through our picture window and it sounded like a gun. it didnt shatter the glass just made a hole. i would have thought i would have reacted to it immediately but it took me maybe 2 seconds to get my bearings and do something assuming it was a gun.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I am really happy everyone seems to be doing ok. My daughter is 6.5 and on a farm, not to mention old farmhouse, more than a few accidents could of been worse. You have made me think twice regarding her antique trundle bed...

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Gah, so sorry that all that happened! Reminds me of when my husband was watching our twin boys when they were little, and one ran into our living room and tripped. Hit his head on the corner of the coffee table. Cut his eyebrow open. He still has a scar, and I just thank G_d that it wasn’t a smidgen lower. He would’ve lost the eye.

Being a parent can be VERY scary sometimes! Your main job is to get these little beings to adulthood alive, and to be functional members of society. Then they move out without even a “Thank you, Mom and Dad, for all of your hard work!” LOL!

I do think that while you were in the ER your wife should have been looked at. Concussions are no joke. Just my $0.02, though. Glad everyone is ok.
edit on 10/1/2017 by Lolliek because: Dang punctuation.....

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I would have set your daughter down just long enough to make sure your wife's shaking wasn't a seizure, and I would have had the ER check her out too.

Head injuries can masquerade as nothing ... until you die. They're scary.

Otherwise, it sounds like when our kiddo tripped and split his lip open on his sippy cup. All kinds of meat and blood!

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
the blood definitely made it look worse.

about my wife getting checked out we did not register her but i told the story to the nurse and the doc about my wife passing out, hitting her head and the whole deal.
they made no big deal of it. the doc asked my wife a couple questions but thats it.
i prob should have went and registered her but i was still jacked.

wild how our kids can get hurt so fast. i mean you always know it can happen but when it does it is just a nightmare.

rip your toe open getting off a bed or get messed up by a sippy cup

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

That they were aware and checked her was the main thing.

I mention the seizure thing because our alma mater used to have a tradition at midfield before the game. One of the yell leaders, or the mascot's backup, would dress like the opposing team's mascot and stand at midfield pretending to taunt the crowd. Then our mascot would run in and tackle him and lay him out. It was all scripted and the hit wasn't a real hit, but once, this went wrong.

The pretend mascot hit his head just wrong on the ground and lay there shaking. Turns out he was seizing because he'd hit his head just right. I'm not even sure he suffered a concussion. If he did, it was mild. It was just one of those freak things that can happen, so that's where your description got to me. He walked off the field anyhow.

Of course, they don't do that tradition anymore even though it was a freak occurrence.
edit on 1-10-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Sounds very similar to when I accidentally amputated my daughters pinky finger with my jeep door.
She was 4, we were in the Emergency parking lot just about to leave. I put her in the car, she went to grab something and slam! Metal on metal with her finger in between.
I instantly knew what happened.
Before she even was crying I had her out and her finger had pressure on it.
Back into emerg to get the tip of her finger stitched on!

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Oh, that would make me feel horrible if I'd done that to mine, and the worst of those is that you know it's not your fault because you can't predict how they'll move like that!

Glad you were right where you needed to be.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Sorry to hear about your situation and hope everything turns out fine for both daughter and wife.
Your daughter's injury might keep her from being a "foot model", but it doesn't sound like she'll have any mobility issues.
AND, I wouldn't worry about calling an ambulance under these circumstances. You did just fine (assuming you did the driving).
Where I live, it's at least 45-60 minutes to the hospital by ambulance, or I can drive it in 15 minutes.
For some reason, I'm not to good with the sight of blood unless it is my own - I'm more likely to freak if it's someone else's.

ganjoa

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ya I was crying. It was a bloody mess. My daughter ended up passing out while we were waiting for X-rays. Took 3 hours for her to get her stitches.
For some reason now, the finger nail that was effected grows twice as fast as all the others.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Did you have your wife looked at? You need to cuz she could have a hemorrhage in an in side of her head and can cause a blood clot and then she can have a stroke or any number of things make sure you have her looked at.

Jaden

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i still feel so terrible that i had to let my wife just lay there because i had to tend to our daughter. it was bad.

I can understand that you feel that way. But there is only one TinySickTears. And you did a good job. I can see that you love your family

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Where I have lived, if you are taken by ambulance you are immediately cared for by nurses and doctors.

If you walk in on your own, you wait hours and hours.

My daughter was suffering from an allergic reaction. By the time I got to the hospital she was struggling to breathe. The nurses saw her and still had us sit and wait until I had "words" with the intake nurse and got immediate attention for her.
the hospitals here are awful.
I was suffering from a heart attack and didn't know it while my daughter drove me to the hospital and had to use a wheelchair as I couldn't walk. The intake emergency nurse kept talking and yelled at me that I had to answer her questions when I just flopped on her desk. Miraculously, a passing doctor saw me and ran and brought me to a room nd really probably saved my life-all the while the intake gal yelled at him that there were no beds. Amazing.

Lesson learned - ALWAYS take an ambulance for ANY emergency.

But very happy it worked out for you and your family.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
You poor thing, sounds like you had your hands full. I'm a fainter, I can deal with the initial emergency, faint afterwards. Unless of course I'm the one that's hurt, then I have to fight hard not to faint. Sometimes it's easier to just go with it.

I never shake or seize, I did piss myself once. Thank god I was home with the hubby that time. Is your wife a fainter too or was this a first?

I've been fainting since I was 5 and never injured myself in the fall. I go limp and I think that saves me. I'm pretty small so that helps. Afterwards all I want to do is sleep and it's the best sleep ever.

One time I fainted at the fair. Don't know what I was thinking but I never dreamed the "acupuncture" man really stuck needles in himself. LOL My date was such a gentleman, carried me outside for fresh air. When I awoke I was surprised to see I had company, there was a guy laid out in the grass next to me.

The side show barker loved it. People saw us and swarmed for tickets. We were the best advertisement ever.

If your wife's never fainted before it might be a good idea to mention it to your family doctor. I'm sure it was the stress but have her tell the doc on her next visit.

My dad fainted a couple times over the years, we have since found out we both have low blood pressure. My son has it too.

So glad everyone is ok. You deserve a very special treat for being the hero. No one ever slapped me though! LOL smelling salts sometimes works for me.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory

she faints when she gets blood drawn. we know it is coming though. kind of know what to expect.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Sorry to hear about that! Hope everyone is doing okay now.

Man, after three kids, I have so many horrible stories... one did cut off most of his large toe (only three years old at the time) , one was attacked by a dog at two years old, one was hit by a car at four years old. All horrible events, each time I was pregnant at the time which added some complications to the whole thing.

I know that when your kid is really hurt, everything else leaves your mind.
I once stayed in the hospital room with my son for 48 hours straight with clothes completely covered in blood. I think I was in shock. When my husband finally convinced me to go home and shower (that my son would live) I fell apart and cried for hours.
edit on 1-10-2017 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join