It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 17

page: 150
<< 147  148  149    151  152  153 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

This is an interesting notion. I can say that a lot of what I write comes from or is inspired by personal experience, so I think i understand what they were trying to say.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: PrairieShepherd

They sure do, Shep. And it is wondrous to be a part of that ^^

Yes indeed chelsdh! Even the wildest imaginings have their base as a departure from reality

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

My character Gaalen said, "Tell Lucid to 'try it, dude'".

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I just don't know how you come up with the time to sit with your story so much! Not that I wouldn't love to

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Well, like I told Miss Jacygirl when she asked me the same thing, you have to remember - I have been at this a LONG time. Like the first stuff I wrote on Geaomm regarding a race of creatures we have not even seen yet in Falling, and the Big Bad Dude in the world I've created - those first sparks occurred in '96-97 when I was in college.

I have a job where I'm on a computer all day long. I can pretty easily preserve ideas as they occur. I also spend and hour and a half in the car each day to commute, so that's a lot of time to think about scenes and characters.
edit on 12-13-2017 by PrairieShepherd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

Gordi, love your Christmas avatar!

Thanks, but it is a bit cold in these Santa Shorts! (Talk about Snowballs!)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver
No need to run and hide.

Thanks also for your comments about rights. I'm fairly well up on it but it's all useful info for anyone reading. IOW, what follows is probably no news to you, but could be of interest to others, especially if they are working on a story and dreaming of seeing it on the big screen.

Rights for (and in) creative works can be a real minefield. For example, I have my book listed in Amazon's special Kindle Unlimited program that allows members to download it free. And while it is in that program I am not allowed to sell or give away digital copies of it in any form elsewhere. So, it's a trade-off.

Screen rights -- film, TV and so on -- can be very complex. Most commonly, the author or owner of the work is offered an Option contract, rather than a studio/production company offering an outright buy of the screen rights. So the bigger companies may buy hundreds of properties in a year (including unpublished works) but only proceed to budgeting, screenplays and eventual production with very few of them. However, if they decide to actually produce the work, then typically there'll be a rights fee (much higher than an option fee) agreed to in the options contract and that fee or at least a good chunk of it typically falls due on the first day of actual filming.

And yes, as you say, virtually all properties are adapted for the screen, the author credit can vary a lot, depending on whether it's eg "Adapted from the novel xxxxx by Author's Name", or "Based upon the novel (etc)", or "Inspired by (etc etc etc)". And probably a few others I missed. If the author is lucky or has the clout, they might even get to be involved in the screenplay, but that's not all that common.

That thing with sound recordings works both ways. I recall that Mike Oldfield wanted to re-engineer and re-record some parts of his Tubular Bells album as recording and sound engineering tech improved, but under his original contract he was not allowed to release a new version until 30 years had elapsed.

So, being a patient guy, he waited 30 years and then did the new version.

Re the moon thing. I can't make you believe any different. It's your right to have whatever opinion of it all that you wish. Perhaps my perspective is different because I am old enough to recall the highs and lows of the Apollo program as they happened.

edit on 13/12/17 by JustMike because: I fixed some niggly typos.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

You're always saying D.D.I.G.

But now you've done it! :O

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Hi JustMike! *wave*

Shedizens, I've put another episode of Falling up. This one is still so new it smells like a new car - it's probably only 2 weeks old.

As always you can find the link to the beginning of the story in my signature, or you can use the link here to go directly to the new post:
135 - Demonslayer

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gordi The Drummer

originally posted by: Night Star

Gordi, love your Christmas avatar!

Thanks, but it is a bit cold in these Santa Shorts! (Talk about Snowballs!)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Psstt, nightstar, I used superglue

Pffft, Pesky used pixie dust. Problem solved.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Our lady of darkness, the star of the night,
asked if I would share my story done right.

This is a tale, a tale that is tall.
As I'm 6'1" I shall share what is all.

My meditation of last I did not have to try,
I was watching a show, a show called Shut Eye.

It was of episode five from season number two,
About the fear of accepting what are facts that are true.

From voices beyond, the guru did hear.
Sharing only what he found when his helpers were near.

The helpers you see knew the names of the marks,
From the net they did search for info like sharks.

They gave the guru the news
for him to empress and amuse.

With his tidbits of knowledge, the guru did stand.
He impressed the crowd and they all thought him grand.

What I'm explaining is that during the mentioned episode there was the talk of meditation and the fears the main characters Charlie and Linda faced. At the end of the episode, I had to snap back to reality as I realized that I was watching the show in meditation mode. The unplanned meditation was quite a nice break for me to take from my depression and anxiety worries.

As left of center as this program is you might be surprised at how much I can relate to it. I've spent plenty of time in the psychic world, both real and fake. I understand how the main character feels trying to get his life in order after failing in work and love in the past as well.

For those not familiar with the program. Here are the trailers for season one and two.

Season One ----------

Season Two ----------

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Wow. I see, its an investment. Thanks, Shep, and Gaalen too!

a reply to: Night Star

Lucid smiled when Pesky used pyxie dust yo

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: JustMike

Oh I'm not hiding, well, not from you anyway. LOL. I did my moon program research a few years ago so some details are hazy but a few things stuck too. My overall feeling is that something stinks to high heaven about the whole thing. It appears, and certainly in hindsight, nothing more than a huge PR stunt. I also wonder how they "lost" the original recordings which were supposedly the most important human achievement ever. Carelessness, incompetence, or deliberate. It must surely be one of the three imho.

Kinda like the JFK stuff they were supposed to be releasing soon. "Damn...we can't find it all anymore....!"

It's also somewhat akin to 9/11 in a way. Because people "saw" it on TV, it must be "real". The only thing real about 9/11 is that 3 buildings were destroyed with things that should not have destroyed those buildings at all. Personal disclosure: I adhere to the "no plane" theory. I am not asking for debate though as some evidence seems to be incontrovertible but that is not anything you will see on TV.

And yes, publishing rights can be extremely convoluted. I think that's why certain bands (Pink Floyd is one of the few I can think of along with Ozric Tentacles, possibly Deep Purple too but I haven't followed them in years, I preferred their early work) formed their own studios and recording companies so that they held artistic control of their works at all times. Due to the way the industry formed, even with your own company, you still need to contract with a distribution company because a recording company does not necessarily mean you can get your work distributed easily internationally or nationally for that matter. Major artists are lucky to see 10% of the actual revenue for their work but that's the way it's been made to work by greedy companies. Digital downloads may change that but I know one thing, my hard drive will eventually die and I lose my downloads. Sometimes a physical product can offer advantages if you need to make mp3's or FLAC's again even though standard CD quality is not as good as we may like.
edit on 13/12/17 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

ETA 9/11 in 5 minutes, it's comedy based, but based on facts too, I'm sure most here have seen it already, but just in case.... devout muslims, coc aine, pink-haired strippers.....

edit on 13/12/17 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingForABetterLife

Wonderful poem and explanation Blue! Thank you!

Most important is this...

The unplanned meditation was quite a nice break for me to take from my depression and anxiety worries.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Too much corruption and greed and too many lies in Government. Disgusting isn't it?

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Lucid smiled when Pesky used pyxie dust yo

Ummmm...what?

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior I swear I edited lol

Lucid smiled as Pesky used pyxie dust to undo the glue. For he had written a rune on the back of the sign, which had laid inert until the magic enfused dust supplied the raw energy to power the spell. For it was indeed a spell, no simple rune this bit in fact a sigil: a complex of interlocked runes. Nothing malicious or really even mischievous, it would produce a stylized set of wings; bold strokes of ink meant only to convey the essence of "wings"- the defining features.
edit on 13-12-2017 by LucidWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Yes, you missed it, went riiight over ya

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I opened with the "hide" line because you closed with it:

/me runs into the bushes and hides....

Naturally, I knew it was in jest.

But anyway, while I can tell you that we have points of disagreement about the Apollo program and also 9/11 -- and I don't fully go along with the "official" story on that one -- it would be a shame to bog down this more light-hearted and creativity-based thread with those topics and discussions, so I'd rather we just agree to disagree for now. I hope that's ok with you.
We can always meet up in the more appropriate fora to discuss these things in more depth at some future point.

new topics

top topics

<< 147  148  149    151  152  153 >>

join