It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Attacks Mayor of San Juan and Accuses Puerto Ricans of Being Lazy

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I'd be interested to hear it too.

Don't lie, you are only interested in spinning things.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Sadly many people that migrated to the US back in the days many became entrepreneurs but the majority did imported their poverty with them.

That is a historical true, see many will love to erase history but it can never be erased, Half of the population in PR are dependent on government assistance and that is the reality in Puerto Rico.

Is a generation in PR are has become use to hand me downs and dependency.

The island has been used as a port for drug smuggling and is many users too, death is incredible high by guns and gang related.

Gangs control entire regions and the police is afraid to even enter the areas.

Se My PR is a beautiful and have beautiful people, but also is full of ugly and nasty things. More lazy than hard working people too.

And I am no afraid to talk about it.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

He is not spinning me, I tell it the way it is, I do not hide on sugar coating at all.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

He is not spinning me, I tell it the way it is, I do not hide on sugar coating at all.

I know you don't, we have been here together a long time.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

. . . . More lazy than hard working people too.

And I am no afraid to talk about it.

I don't think you're allowed to say that. someone already suggested banning Trump from twitter for insinuating that, others are condemning people as well.

(kidding)

I know a few people that have moved there, but it was years ago. I always pictured your island as a paradise.

I'm sorry that there are so many problems there.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: thesaneone

Lol.

Anyway, San Juan mayor is a radical idiot.

Deal with it.

I don't believe you know what the word "radical" means but whatever. Regardless of how you feel about the mayor of San Juan — wtf does that have to do with the disgraceful # he said about Puerto Ricans?

The truth always hurts.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Sorry if I sounded the wrong way, is just the spinning going around in ATS of Puerto Rico news, by people that have no clue what in the heck is really going on in PR.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Lol.

Deal with it.

What does this have to do with getting disaster relief to people who are living in dangerous conditions?

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

The response should have been faster and larger from the jump. More military can be sent right now. Things like sending the USNS Comfort should not have taken shaming to be done. The Jones Act should have been waived days ago. They're going to need an aid package because it's going to cost a lot of money to get the power back on island-wide. Authorization of Category F assistance should be expedited.

Nobody is saying that the federal government is not responding or that those who are already in PR aren't doing enough. There just needs to be more of it faster.

What I find troubling here is that Trump supporters are positive that this all just a smear against Trump but if that was the case, where was all the criticism in the responses in Texas in Florida? By all accounts, those were handled admirably and some of the very same people who were giving kudos for those responses are the ones criticizing the response in PR.

So I think you might at least consider the possibility that the criticism isn't strictly political.

In either case, I can tell you 100% that this bull#, self-serving twitter tantrum from the President isn't helping anything.
edit on 2017-9-30 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: Boadicea

I'll restate a few points I've made in other posts.

Thank you -- I appreciate the greater context and bigger picture.

1. Would even the most favorable interpretation be appropriate at this time?

I suppose there would be pros and cons for any interpretation, but I cannot say any interpretation is appropriate or even acceptable. We should not have to "interpret" anything. Interpretations are subject to opinion... and confirmation biases... and partisanship.

2. The population of San Juan is only about 10% of the entire island. Even if we assume that the Mayor of San Juan sucks at her job and can't manage resources, including people, what about the other 90% of the population?

That's an excellent point. And as I understand it, it's exactly that other 90% of the population which is suffering the most and greatest hardships because of the damage left behind... We're not there, so we obviously cannot judge anyone's efforts or lack thereof. But that just makes me shake my head even more at the mayor seemingly putting herself in the middle of all this when her city is most likely the least adversely affected. I have only read a couple articles about this mayor, but I have not seen her make any specific complaints about the federal efforts. And that may very well be just the piss poor reporting that's become the norm. Her criticisms of Trump can just as easily be taken as criticism of the emergency responders working their blessed butts off over there... just as Trump's criticisms can easily be taken as criticism of the people of Puerto Rico.

3. If that wasn't what he intended, perhaps he should either stop Tweeting or try harder to be deliberate and precise in his Tweets. I think most of us make more of an effort to be clear in our forum posting.

That's not just a "yes," but a resounding "Hell yeah!!!" I think we both know that even with our best effort, our words may not say just what we meant them to say, or that they can be taken differently than what we intended, but I don't say that as an excuse for Trump. It's precisely because that can happen that Trump should try that much harder, just as we do.

I would also add that he stated quite clearly that she didn't have anything bad to say until the Democrats made her do it. Did he have anything bad to say about her until she was critical of the federal response?

Are we even sure that he had ever heard of her before she criticized him??? Or did he just jump on his Twitter and start blasting away based upon his own confirmation biases?

I'm not even sure how critical of the response she was and if she actually said anything about Trump personally.

Yeah, that goes back to that piss poor reporting I referred to earlier. Sometimes reporting goes beyond just sensationalizing to stirring the pot.

Clearly there is a willingness to find ways to make these insulting of the people than I took them... [snip]... but really, is there any way in which this can be processed to turn his comments into a good thing?

Good? No. But I would say the same about them both at this point. It's a political pissing match between two children -- at least that's what I'm getting.

— though I really hope you're also taking note of how many supporters went straight to "Puerto Ricans *are* lazy!" —

Yeah, duly noted... but I don't want to give any more energy to that crap. If anything's worse than the Trump/mayor pissing match, it's that.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Sorry if I sounded the wrong way, is just the spinning going around in ATS of Puerto Rico news, by people that have no clue what in the heck is really going on in PR.

You didn't come off the wrong way, I know what you mean.

Your good people.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Lol.

Deal with it.

What does this have to do with getting disaster relief to people who are living in dangerous conditions?

Everything.

link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Really? You're worried about the T-Shirt the mayor is wearing, because "propaganda" (to help Puerto Ricans struggling to survive) but Trump's made in China MAGA hat's aren't a propaganda tool?

Point missed completely...

link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

Can we not be vague here? The truth hurts about what? Please tell me you're not jumping on the "Puerto Ricans are lazy" bandwagon?

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I left the Island back in 1981 after I marry my husband, he was a marine so we traveled, things were not bad and it was a lot of talks about money going missing from the government back then. We as youngsters went every where and it was not security problems but your fair share of petty thieves.

But the Island was thriving, it had many major Pharmaceuticals and manufactures that keep the middle class employed and the Island running good.

Then welfare came to be and private interest running every aspect of the Island.

Then the big manufacturer companies left the Island due to the government trying to tax them to death to compensate for government excessive spending.

Welfare grew incredibly during the late 90s, then the gangs took over the government subsidized "caserios" and drug started to run rampant, no money and drug dependency is not a good way to live by.

PR is not even closes or resemble the PR I grew up back in the 70s.

edit on 30-9-2017 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-9-2017 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I'd be interested to hear it too.

Don't lie, you are only interested in spinning things.

Yeah, that's why I posted one other political thread in the last month.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
All of you who are so callously condemning those in Puerto Rico who are actually working to get help and do what they can will have the opportunity in the not-so-distant future to share their pain.
edit on 30-9-2017 by Gryphon66 because: So be it.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

I'm sorry to hear that.

It sounds like Puerto Rico's welfare model is something similar to what's happening in the US.

With things so depressed prior to the hurricane, I can't imagine how things are now. I know many doctors involved with relief efforts in Haiti and they have never recovered.
edit on 30-9-2017 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
All of you who are so callously condemning those in Puerto Rico who are actually working to get help and do what they can will have the opportunity in the not-so-distant future to share their pain.

Do tell.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
We had Puerto Rico friends, a married couple. I asked one day out of curiosity why I always hear of them living in the north east and mainly New York area.
They kinda looked at each other and said "it's because they get a free ride there". They go for the welfare and housing. Lazy Leaches. Not all of course, these 2 friends worked and were good people, but were awfully quick to say how many of the transplants were lazy bums. That's from Puerto Rican's!!
As I've said many times, the Katrina people were lazy rude a-holes too.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join