It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will an economic collapse be beneficial to us in the long run?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal
We need no economic collapse. Things are pretty good, none of us are strving in the west. Things are relatively safe . No breakdown in society happened. An economic collapse? Oh no, we don't need the results like what happened in the 30's, no thanks things really are not that bad!

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Will an economic collapse be beneficial to us in the long run?

It could be... most definitely. But not necessarily will be. All depends on who is picking up the pieces and how they put them back together again.

And what lessons we the people learn in the process.... what our priorities are and become... and what we're willing to do for ourselves. We have come to a point where it seems we live to work -- NOT work to live -- and have let ourselves become corporate serfs. People go to a job to make money to buy the things they need to live. Too many folks have no idea how to do even the most basic things for themselves. And we have a government which has increasingly made it more and more difficult for folks to do for themselves. For example, somehow a vegetable garden in the front yard is a crime... "No! No! No! Can't have those plants where everyone can see them!!! Must protect the eyes!!!"

The best way I know to illustrate this point is the experience of my parents during the Depression of the 30s. My mom was a farm girl. She didn't even know there was a Depression. Life went on as normal, raising crops and livestock, bartering with neighbors, helping neighbors, doing what they do. My dad was a city boy, and he felt the hardship. To the day my grandmother died, she refused to eat shellfish because that was the only meat they had for too damn long, along with what they could grow for themselves in their backyard. But of course any kind of livestock was out of the question.

In other words, in an economic collapse, those who can do for themselves will be okay... those who cannot do for themselves will be looking for handouts. And there's a lot of room for abuse there by those deciding who gets what handouts...

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Tell that to my economics professor. Even he knows something big will happen and it won't be pretty.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Then these people will wake up and realize that it's the government fault's for screwing them over.

Once they wake up, that's when they demand real changes, one that can finally help us move forward as a nation.
edit on 9/30/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

A full collapse means one thing imo. The economic elite have raped the economy of all its worth, now they have enough power and resources to solidify their reign over earth - Hello dystopia (we already friends).

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

All adversity has its benefits. It separates the men from the boys. You never really know who you are, or what you're capable, of until the chaos flows. The same goes for the national scale.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I'm still waiting for our government to bail out the American people who have lost their homes or are so deep in a hole they can't climb out of debt. What have the corporate bankers done for us since it was our tax money that helped bail them out? Shouldn't they return the favor to the American people? Our government has embezzled money out of our country's social security fund. Any American who would embezzle money from their employer would have been jailed and fined!

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

They could pull the collapse out for a long long time. Zero interest, inevitably lead to negative interest rates or inflation. Twenty trillion in debt needs to be serviced, it cant be done with a sick economy. The share market can be made to look rosy simply because it doesn't reflect the real economy anymore. The kicker is they can print money to save the big guys and it wont lead to inflation because the average people will never see a penny of it. In the past it didn't matter much because you could always go home to the farm. But this is something different.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
In the longrun, yes, it would be beneficial. It would suck if it happened to us for a while though.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter
We need no economic collapse. Things are pretty good, none of us are strving in the west. Things are relatively safe . No breakdown in society happened. An economic collapse? Oh no, we don't need the results like what happened in the 30's, no thanks things really are not that bad!

You are correct, no one is starving; the West is FAT and uses 5x the natural resources our planet can reproduce while other places in the world starve to death.
Nothing to see here, move along.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I think you make some salient and cogent observations. However, I feel the event/result equation you used is incorrect. You seem to be basing your expected result of an economic collapse and recovery in today's world on the observed behavior of previous generations. The current generation is in no way shape or form prepared or capable of dealing with genuine hardship. We are talking about people who need a therapy dog because someone said a bad word or failed to acknowledge their emotional angst. These people need a crying room with emotional support when the cell phone stops working. How do you think they will do when the stock market loses 90% of its value and 1/4th of the population of this country lives in a family where no one has a job? Those were the conditions in the 1930's. It took hearty, strong willed, capable people to pull us out of that death spiral. I simply don't see this generation having what it takes to pick this nation up and nurse it back to health. I just don't see it happening.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
IMO, I think an economic revamp is required, however an economic collapse under the current forms of governments and corporations would lead to anarchy, chaos and death. The people of the world need to have true control of their governments in order for change to occur positively. I say the world, because for "true" change to be possible, IMO, it requires a complete overhaul on a worldwide economic scale.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

I think you make some salient and cogent observations. However, I feel the event/result equation you used is incorrect. You seem to be basing your expected result of an economic collapse and recovery in today's world on the observed behavior of previous generations. The current generation is in no way shape or form prepared or capable of dealing with genuine hardship. We are talking about people who need a therapy dog because someone said a bad word or failed to acknowledge their emotional angst. These people need a crying room with emotional support when the cell phone stops working. How do you think they will do when the stock market loses 90% of its value and 1/4th of the population of this country lives in a family where no one has a job? Those were the conditions in the 1930's. It took hearty, strong willed, capable people to pull us out of that death spiral. I simply don't see this generation having what it takes to pick this nation up and nurse it back to health. I just don't see it happening.

Although i think the masses are not ready for those types of situations, I do believe that the underlying nature of humanity has what it takes overcome any event of such large scale proportions. That said, shut off the power and millions/billions of people will go through the worst internet withdrawal symptoms they will have ever lived...it is at that moment that MOST people...will realize they do not know where they are on a paper map.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: UndeadWarrior

Paper?

What is this "paper" of which you speak?

Bungfodder?
edit on 9/30/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: AboveBoard

Oh I'm talking about the Millennials especially the SJWs. I mean a lot of them are shouting about petty little things like mansplaining while ignoring real problems.

Personally, if we keep going our present course, nothing will improve unless they wake up.

So let me get this straight.

You have a problem with idealistic (if somewhat misguided at times) young people, somyou think the solution is to have a Great Depression with untold suffering and horror, cause you want to change their values to align more with yours?

Dude. That's Overkill.

Time and regular Life will "learn" them. They still might not share your values, but they will know big stuff from small.

Shrug. Be patient.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

I'm a millennial and I seriously have no faith on my own generation. All they cared about is their iphones and other petty things.

And even if I don't want it, it's inevitable due our flawed current economic system. Trump hasn't done nothing to improve things. All he cares about is twittering rather than leading. If he and future presidents focused on the root causes like removing the parasitic bankers, only then will we see improvements.

The only best thing is hope for the best.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't think so just because money isn't real and we own the biggest baddest military the earth has ever seen by a gajillion.

Screw right and wrong, if push comes to shelve, we will jut take what we need.

That is why I don't find the deficit and debt to china an issue...

We have traded china tangible goods and services for promisary notes to pay them little pieces of paper we print ourselves.. lol.

If china decides to call in that debt. We will not be giving them Florida or even hawaii..

We will tell them to kick rocks, and say "if you loan tony soprano money , he only pays you back if he feels like it..

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Just like what happened during the depression,the rich will buy up all the property,the banks will call in loans,may have debtors prison,people will lose incentive to live,people will kill each other over property,perhaps food,boy you liberals sure have some sick dreams

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Just like what happened during the depression,the rich will buy up all the property,the banks will call in loans,may have debtors prison,people will lose incentive to live,people will kill each other over property,perhaps food,boy you liberals sure have some sick dreams

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Take a long look at Argentina, its been 17 years since their collapse and because of the big banks they are still struggling to put the pieces back together.

IF the govt was useful and dependable, and if any assistance from the outside was given with no strings attached it could possibly be helpful.

But as long as the banking consortium still has a strangle hold on the world the only changes will be for the worse.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join