It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Callous Congress Forgot To Renew CHIP - 9 Million Children Could Lose Healthcare.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

you do realize that there are plenty of republican voters relying on chips for their kids health care also, they might all decide screw the republicans and well, give us a dem controlled congress??

but ya, let them blow the heck out of the healthcare system... actually, I don't care since I've been out of that loop for a long time. the more people who join me in this little class of people the more likely the doctors will decide to say heck with the insurance, the heck with the big salaries, and go back to taking what people can afford to pay just to have patients to treat!!!

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

They didn't have the votes to get a great ACA because too many democrats were acting like Republicans.

The one they didn't even read first...lol

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

like I said, at least obama tried, there were many hearings, how long did it take for them to hash out that plan...
compared to the republican's let's push it through before we end up having to expect any dems to go along with the plan??

Lol, the old vote on it first then read it push?

what's their plan now?? to shelve the whole idea and let things go to hell and use it to tell their base that they need a super majority in congress to get anything done???

What did we do before ACA? The deal is we needed to support about 10% of the population, The ACA messed with everyone, every plan to support that 10%. Many companies offered healthcare and were forced to put their employees on ACA as example. So now we need to do something don't you agree, or do you want ACA to continue on its death spiral.

how about they both lay their danged politics at the door, come together, think out of the box, since in the box seems to be a complete failure, and try to come up with solutions? INSURANCE isn't the solution it's part of the problem...
that would be a good starting point...

Sure, I'm all for that, the problem is they get voted in by their state and they will do anything to get re-elected. They will do anything for 2018 and 2020 political gains too...

Insurance is 90% of the problem BTW...

we would need ten year, or twenty year, maybe even longer before we could cut even the working class out off these programs. and we would need to be looking at the entire picture, not just this little segment or that one to come up with that plan. and we needed to start working on that plan a decade or so ago. now it's probably too late.
so, well, ya, send the working class into poverty, and watch the whole economy collapse... I am sure you think that you will escape unscathed.

Ya it is all crazy... I'm not arguing on many of your points in your post. As it is right now it is unfixable since both parties will not risk anything and so we get crap or nothing.

A start is to have a big part of healthcare outside of the insurance umbrella. When I was in the military my kid got pink eye on a holiday weekend. My only choice was to go to the emergency room which in Texas with illegals would have been 8 plus hour wait with full insurance. Someone told me of a cash only clinic and I took my son there. We walked in filled out some paperwork for like 5 mins, saw a RN with a doctor on call, was out in 15 mins and it cost me 20 bucks...

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I know that it's a possibility that those people will vote for Dems in 2018 and 2020. In fact, I hope they do. But I also think Repubs will fearmonger that it was "RINO's" and Democrats who sabotaged their "fixes" for the healthcare system. And I fully expect a lot of their voters to buy into that and continue to vote for Republicans.

Take Oklahoma as an example. Earlier this morning I posted this in another healthcare related thread (HERE). Oklahoma's Commissioner of Health just sent a scathing letter to Trump administration officials because the Trump administration missed an important deadline to approve a key healthcare waiver.

Oklahoma officials are blaming the Trump administration for rising health-care premiums in the state after the administration missed a deadline to approve a key waiver for the state under ObamaCare.

In a letter addressed to Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Tom Price, Oklahoma's health commissioner rips the administration for missing a final deadline for a State Innovation Waiver, which would be used to lower premiums around the state.

The waivers provide federal funds "to implement innovative ways to provide access to quality health care that is at least as comprehensive and affordable as would be provided absent the waiver," according to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.

The Oklahoma health commissioner's letter said that approving the waiver would have helped more than 130,000 Oklahoma residents and reduced premiums by 30 percent.

Oklahoma blames Trump officials for higher premiums

My first link also has a link to a pdf version of the full letter from Oklahoma's State govt's website. Now remember that Oklahoma has a Republican Governor, Republican Lieutenant Governor (their 2nd highest in the executive branch), and Republicans have full control of both Chambers of the State legislature (39 to 7 in the Senate with 2 vacant spots & 72 to 28 in the House with 1 vacant spot). So even though the Republican controlled Congress "forgot" to renew CHIP and the Republican Trump administration "forgot" to approve a key ACA/Obamacare related waiver for Oklahoma, I highly doubt that places like Oklahoma to refuse to vote Republican in the upcoming elections.
edit on 30-9-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Willtell

They didn't have the votes to get a great ACA because too many democrats were acting like Republicans.

The one they didn't even read first...lol

Just like the 3 failed Republican healthcare bills just this year, huh? They even tried to force them through without adequate hearings or debates. At least the ACA/Obamacare had roughly a full year of public debates, commissions, and the such.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Just like the 3 failed Republican healthcare bills just this year, huh? They even tried to force them through without adequate hearings or debates. At least the ACA/Obamacare had roughly a full year of public debates, commissions, and the such.

Doesn't matter ACA is a failure...Soon people will have nothing as exchanges drop off and costs sky rocketing soon.

Seems like a total waist doesn't it?

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I'm voting Republican 2018. Let them govern for at least four years. So they have to take responsibility for once. Let's see if Americans like groveling for a life.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: carewemust

Certainly wrapped up in their selfishness. But they didn't forget. Whoever was in charge of that, which might of been Price who just resigned, cut that along with a bunch of other stuff.

I'll have to verify to make sure it was him. But I'm pretty sure it was him.

Source for this being intentionally cut?

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I agree it was pretty pathetic. But Dem MSM talking heads saying they were failures if they did not immediately pass it was setting them up for failure, hurting American, just so the Dems could score points.

Both sides are disgusting.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Do you really think 'they' forgot? It was quite deliberate.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I didn't say it was a success or a failure. The only point I argued w/you is about passing laws without reading them first. You keep pointing out that Democrats did it w/the ACA. Yet Republicans have already tried it 3 times this calendar year with different healthcare laws. I wonder how many people can even remember the differences in those 3 bills?

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

I'm voting Republican 2018. Let them govern for at least four years. So they have to take responsibility for once. Let's see if Americans like groveling for a life.

When Democrats screw up, it's 100% the fault of Democrats. When Republicans screw up, it's "both sides are at fault". Like the OP mentioned, Republicans currently control approximated 82% of elected positions in this country, including all 3 branches of the federal government. In short, they are the government for the vast majority of Americans. If they won't take responsibility now, then why would you expect them to later?

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

a reply to: dawnstar

I know that it's a possibility that those people will vote for Dems in 2018 and 2020. In fact, I hope they do. But I also think Repubs will fearmonger that it was "RINO's" and Democrats who sabotaged their "fixes" for the healthcare system. And I fully expect a lot of their voters to buy into that and continue to vote for Republicans.

Take Oklahoma as an example. Earlier this morning I posted this in another healthcare related thread (HERE). Oklahoma's Commissioner of Health just sent a scathing letter to Trump administration officials because the Trump administration missed an important deadline to approve a key healthcare waiver.

I expect we'll see more of this as a consequence of Trump being slow to fill appointed positions in government and making very bad choices to fill the most visible slots. These folks truly don't know what they're doing, and with everyone understaffed they don't have enough hours in the day to catch everything.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Basically, they're saying that government is ineffective, and that in order to make it more ineffective, they're going to not hire for most positions, and only higher incapable people in the jobs they do fill.

It turns the whole thing into a self fulfilling prophecy, and given the competency of many governments around the planet it's clear that government can be made to be competent so the entire premise is without merit.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   

I didn't say it was a success or a failure. The only point I argued w/you is about passing laws without reading them first. You keep pointing out that Democrats did it w/the ACA. Yet Republicans have already tried it 3 times this calendar year with different healthcare laws. I wonder how many people can even remember the differences in those 3 bills?

Are you sure they didn't read it? ACA was like 2600 pages and Nancy said just vote on it before you read it... How many pages is the republicans? Who has said just vote? One is fact and the other is assumption.

But it doesn't matter, because we need something now or we are screwed because of ACA.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Are you sure they didn't read it? ACA was like 2600 pages and Nancy said just vote on it before you read it... How many pages is the republicans? Who has said just vote? One is fact and the other is assumption.

But it doesn't matter, because we need something now or we are screwed because of ACA.

A huge reason why the 2,600 page ACA LAW ballooned into over 20,000 pages of RULES and REGULATIONS, is because the law was written to give (then) HHS Secretary, Kathleen Sebelius, wide latitude (aka "power") with interpreting and implementing the Affordable Care Act.

Most of those rules and regulations were thought-up and implemented by HHS bureaucrats who had NO EXPERIENCE in medicine, healthcare, or health insurance. I could fill an entire page, describing crazy rule conflicts, loop-holes, and just plain stupid Health and Human Services decisions, that are now hurting millions of people. That number will grow each year, as delayed explosives detonate in the ACA/ObamaScrew law.

edit on 10/1/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

You have a point. But increasing the debt is entirely their plan. Democrats should not rescue them this time.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

You have a point. But increasing the debt is entirely their plan. Democrats should not rescue them this time.

Both Reagan and the 1st Bush ran huge deficits for their time. This turned into a budget surplus during the last few years of the Clinton administration. The 2nd Bush turned those budget surpluses into deficits again & we haven't been in a surplus since. If they never have to take responsibility for any of that, then why would they have to take responsibility for any new debt?

In fact, Republican Representative Mark Walker seems to have made the point a lot clearer recently.

A new tax cut is emerging to rival those of the Bush years, and the deficit hawks have hardly peeped.

“It’s a great talking point when you have an administration that’s Democrat-led,” said Representative Mark Walker, Republican of North Carolina and the chairman of the Republican Study Committee, a group of about 150 conservative House members. “It’s a little different now that Republicans have both houses and the administration.”

With Tax Cuts on the Table, Once-Mighty Deficit Hawks Hardly Chirp

That article includes the following, as well:

This month, the majority of Republicans in the House and the Senate voted to raise the debt limit without doing anything to rein in spending.

Republican lawmakers are pushing to increase military spending by tens of billions of dollars, topping even Mr. Trump’s request for a beefed-up military. Democrats are sharing in the fiscal intemperance, lining up behind a “Medicare for all” proposal despite having no definitive plan for how to pay for universal, government-provided health coverage.

In other words, caring about the federal deficit is just a talking point.
edit on 1-10-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Just assumptions, huh?

These GOP congressmen voted for the health care bill -- but didn't read it

GOP congressman on Obamacare replacement: 'I don't think any individual has read the whole bill'

A bunch of House Republicans admitted they didn't read the GOP healthcare bill

I guess you win..one didn't read it and the other said he didn't read it all. There is always a few in everything to make a point.

But my main point is they need to do something...With ACA they didn't have an already created failure looming in the near future, as you said they had over an year and still didn't read it.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join