It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feedback from NFL fans on facebook, etc..

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I've watched the heavy, all-in like push by ESPN in support of the players and the general media.

Yet living in Washington State and linked in with the Seattle Fox station, it crosses my Facebook site regularly. (I'm not a Seahawk fan, I've bled for the Vikings for just over fifty years...or I did.)

The sheer volume of disaffection with the Seahawks, Pete Carroll and especially Michael Bennett was overwhelming. Post after post disavowing any desire to watch Fox's coverage of the Seahawk game. At a guess, over 80% of the posters. Yes, there were those still completely loyal to their team and I'm sure some will use their tickets having already invested in season tickets.

The 12th man phenomena of Seattle has many 1,000s on the waiting list for season tickets and I'd be surprised if there is any shortage of people willing to pick up the slack, especially if things cool down after a while. However, I'm struck by the sheer volume of reproach on the net.

Even the Chase Bank has advised short selling of CBS's stocks in the event of revenue loss due to advertiser rebates. (apparently already occurring)

The purpose of this thread is to see if there are similar responses from other current-or newly departed- fans of specific teams.

In this case social media may be our only accurate measurement of just how far the base has been awoken by these events.

How's your team's fans responding?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Yeah it may be 80% but of what sampling? You know who posts mostly? Pissed off people. The silent multitude that are OK with it or don't care dont bother

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Oh well if CBS gives a rebate to Disney (their owner) it is like moving $20 from your left pocket to your right. Those monopolies sure are great?

I thought this was a non story and 5% of the people care about the athletes kneeling as a peaceful protest to the murdering of minorities by police.

Looks like the media was lying?

edit on 29-9-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Most of the posts I've seen are people that are mad.
Funny thing is that many of them don't even watch sports.

Not exactly a scientific study on the subject though for what it's worth.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

If the media monopolies start giving ad rebates it isn't only the pissed off FB warriors that are turning off the NFL.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
This was a non-issue until Pwesident Tweet turned it into one.

He's given the Russians an "assist" with turning us against each other.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Apparently the networks were not showing negative fan reaction to the protests.
I saw several stories about it.

www.sportingnews.com...

+18 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

False.

Myself and many others were already boycotting the NFL.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

False.

No. It's true. That's not surprising about you. Not sure about the "many others".

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Yeah it may be 80% but of what sampling? You know who posts mostly? Pissed off people. The silent multitude that are OK with it or don't care dont bother

You could be right! Yet the sheer volume of it is the point I was making. There is one heck of a lot of pissed off people out there.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Wrong.
I have posted links in other threads to a year old story on CBS speaking of the drop in ratings due to Colin Kaepernicks kneeling.

NFL ratings have declined by roughly 12 percent this season, and to hear commissioner Roger Goodell tell it, the reasons are varied.

"It's something that I don't think there's a single reason for. I really don't. We look at all those factors," Goodell said last week, according to NFL.com. "Everyone's got theories, you guys got theories, others got theories. We work closely with our network partners. We see tremendous strength in our numbers.

"But we also know that the prime-time ratings we're seeing the most dramatic decrease. It went straight up against two very significant [presidential] debates. Another one of our prime-time games on Thursday night was on the NFL Network, as opposed to a network, which will always get a lower rating. There are a lot of factors to be considered."

According to a Seton Hall poll conducted this week, the leading factor in declining viewership is due to players not standing for the national anthem, followed closely by the presidential election. Specifically, 841 adults were asked seven questions, allowing for a response of yes, no, or don't know. The poll was conducted Oct. 24-26.

CBS

The Sporting News article says “Nearly one-third (32 percent) of adults say they’re less likely to watch NFL game telecasts because of the Kaepernick-led player protests against racial injustice, according to Rasmussen’s telephone/online survey of 1,000 American adults conducted Oct. 2-3. Only 13 percent said they were more likely to watch an NFL game because of continuing protests by Kaepernick and supporters such as Antonio Cromartie of the Colts (who was cut only two days after raising a fist during the playing of “The Star-Spangled Banner” in London on Sunday).”

Forbes
edit on b000000302017-09-29T19:36:54-05:0007America/ChicagoFri, 29 Sep 2017 19:36:54 -0500700000017 by butcherguy because: Fixed CBS link.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I heard that some teams in some states has burned their teams flags and booed their teams because taking the knee, also is been protest outside stadiums, but the media is not giving this any attention at all.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Oh well if CBS gives a rebate to Disney (their owner) it is like moving $20 from your left pocket to your right. Those monopolies sure are great?

I thought this was a non story and 5% of the people care about the athletes kneeling as a peaceful protest to the murdering of minorities by police.

Looks like the media was lying?

My take of it is those that are pissed off couldn't care less why it was /is being done. It's the act, itself that draws this reaction. Not the flag and not the anthem, thank you very much.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Most of the posts I've seen are people that are mad.
Funny thing is that many of them don't even watch sports.

Not exactly a scientific study on the subject though for what it's worth.

Perhaps. After all, the Fox station is home to more conservative viewers. That would explain the surprisingly high percentage.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
You mean conservative old men are pissed off about something?

I can't believe it. That's outrageous.

link   
Direct TV is hitting back..

www.youtube.com...
Federal funding is vital

www.youtube.com...

AND money helps...
www.youtube.com...

ONE can but wonder if skin pays better than America?

link   

I think that is true for the people kneeling. They are following the leader and thinking they are solving something that is much bigger than NFL players taking a knee and possibly pissing off their customers.

Time will tell, we will soon see by the NFL's policy on the Anthem.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Trump is taking this personally. That's the only reason he's involved himself.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Too bad the NFL players weren't kneeling for health care costs that are in line with other industrialized countries.
edit on 29-9-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

False.

No. It's true. That's not surprising about you. Not sure about the "many others".

As a very long time football fan, I can attest to the fact that professional sports has been slowly disaffecting it's fan base, or at least a percentage of them, even as the numbers/population went up. The older ones....like me often prefer the older style of pro-sports where players played and didn't limp off at every skinned knee.

Also, the ESPN type networks combined with the NFL and their pink support of women cancer-never a mention of men's prostate cancer- and general neutering of an all male sport has partially soured my passion for the game.

This latest act has tipped the scale for many.

Don't be surprised that Trump's number take a jump as a result. Once again, he's articulated what other are apparently afraid to say and is what millions were thinking.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join