It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Me Understand What's Missing

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone
a reply to: Deetermined

Feelings are tricky things sometimes. As far as the law goes though, there is no difference between what a woman can do and what a man can do. Some places in the world though, women don't have the same rights.

I think that's the message Metallicus is trying to enforce here. All of us living in the United States are pretty blessed, even if you wouldn't know it by reading the over-dramatic headlines everyday.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I think an issue I am having is I tend towards pragmatism and logic so I can't process feelings and experiences as useful or actionable. When I have feelings or experiences I simply deal with them.

I don't expect life to be fair because it rarely is in my experience.

Men and Women are different. From the way their brains process information to the way their hormones compel them to act.
Logically, would you think that it is right for a female to think that a male should act counter to the way he is compelled to act or vice versa?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

originally posted by: 3daysgone

Feelings are tricky things sometimes. As far as the law goes though, there is no difference between what a woman can do and what a man can do. Some places in the world though, women don't have the same rights.

I think that's the message Metallicus is trying to enforce here. All of us living in the United States are pretty blessed, even if you wouldn't know it by reading the over-dramatic headlines everyday.

That is the truth. We have an advantage being in the United States.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Not get the maximum sentence in court if you are black???

There have been oodles of studies that show that black people get more time for less crimes..

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I don’t think it’s so much as what they can’t do...

More what they go through in life...

For example sexual harassment in the work place...
Like at Fox...

Gretchen Carlson may believe that not having sex with Roger Ailes kept her contract from being renewed, but that clearly wasn't the case for Megyn Kelly and she didn't give in to his advances either. Too many women out there are just looking for ways to subsidize their paychecks when they're not meeting job performance expectations.

True sexual harassment in the workplace exists, but there's a fine line there and, unfortunately, we can't trust everyone who claims to be a victim.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

There have been oodles of studies that show that black people get more time for less crimes..

Like drugs? At one time that may have been the case, but these days we see repeat offenders getting suspended sentence after suspended sentence until the courts just can't ignore their repeated offenses any longer, no matter who you are. Have you ever looked at some of the records of the BLM posterboys?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Can you link those studies please. Those would be interesting to read.

I found this link that provides studies as well.

www.channel4.com...

But academics have noted that the proportion of black suspects arrested by the police tends to match closely the proportion of offenders identified as black by victims in the National Crime Victimization Survey.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Also, when do you mean???

Because there are still loads of people who personally experienced segregation and such..

It was only the 60's....

So do you mean like this week???

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I don't have any ties to the legal system nor am I in a position of power.

I am not sure how you fix this issue if it is true, however, I am for the decriminalization of most drugs. I believe transactions between two consenting adults should be free from Government interference.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

You do know that "a black guy did it" had been a catch all FOREVER . Right??

I grew up and still live in MS, so maybe I have a sckewed view, but that has been the go to for every guilty white person being interviewed by police for my whole life ..

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Decriminalizing drugs would be the single most important step we could take..

It is single handedly responsible for half our problems.

PS: about the post above , people don't say a"a black guy did it" because they are racist, necessarily.

It is because if you are white," a black guy did it" is as far from your own description that you can give them.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

You do know that "a black guy did it" had been a catch all FOREVER . Right??

It did start out that way, but it has gotten better I think, but there is still work that needs to be done.

I grew up and still live in MS, so maybe I have a sckewed view, but that has been the go to for every guilty white person being interviewed by police for my whole life ..

I can understand that. It is all bs really. We like to put people in boxes and label them.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

To a real extent the difference or red line is pure, unadulterated muscle. Common standards for any job be it at the US Postal Service, lifting 2x12s on constructions jobs or wrestling freight off the back of a truck requires a certain amount of muscle. If men virtually universally can do those jobs, then that makes women second classes workers in much of the labor movement.

The upside, as demonstrated in the last few years of college attendees, is that women are wise to this exclusion and are going after degrees that automatically elevate them out of that labor force.

(As I've always said, women are smarter than men. They just had to keep it hidden as long as in society they were not equal.)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Female here... nearly 50. I've had a very successful career and am considered above-average attractive by most. I've been semi-sexual harassed (minor ways) many times throughout my climb upward in my career but was always able to handle it and put a stop to it pretty easily. Never felt my job or position was in jeopardy.

I grew up lower middle class but with a good education and work ethic.

Just giving all that as background for my answer since a few above were interested in knowing background of those giving the answers...

Anyway... No I don't believe there is anything that women "can't" (by law or rule) specifically do today. There might be biases in certain careers or fields but many people encounter - or hold - biases for tons of different reasons that may have nothing to do with skin color, gender, or sexual proclivity. If the career / status / etc, means enough to you, you'll fight those biases no matter what. If it doesn't, you won't. Sometimes you'll win and sometimes you'll lose. In any case, still not a rule. Just life...
edit on 30-9-2017 by nicevillegrl because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: nicevillegrl

I think women as a whole have basically achieved equality. Sure there are biases and random idiots, but how many businesses turn down a woman when she would make them more money???

Women have the advantage in the justice e system, im not sure being looked at sexually should be as bad as we make it..

That said , unconsentual touching should be illegal and is ..

I don't think that remains true concerning other minorities.. and yes the ramifications of the past are still being acutely felt.

For example, maybe any black person can technically do anything, but what's the chance that happens when , before the last generation or 2 LITERALLY only .00001% of African Americans recieved ANYTHING from their fore fathers labor..

None received land, none received a buisness, or a large inheritance.

EVERYSINGLE black person has had to start from scratch..

And when you add in how much old money European Americans have invested in their offsprings success.....

Of course they re going to have a ridiculous poverty rate....

edit on 30-9-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   
It's getting there. Slowly.
Up until 2015, same sex partners could not wed in many places in the country.

Oh, sorry. In re-reading I see that you were specifically talking about male/female? Well, it wasn't until very recently that females were allowed to enter combat roles in the military. So, I guess that's it. Total equality. We made it!

edit on 9/30/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Well, just looking at (American) govt, seen any female or BME doves lately? Or do they need be hawks to progress?

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Total equality won't happen until Hillary becomes President..

/sarc

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Yeah.There was a time when Women writers were forced to take on male pen names. A time when Women couldn't vote or wear trousers. I think the world has evolved much in the past fifty years for Men and Women.

But now the idiot bias feminists are taking it to a level no one wants to experience. It's almost become opposite of what it was five decades ago before all this nonsense began.

Balance is needed.
edit on 30-9-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Oh, sorry. In re-reading I see that you were specifically talking about male/female? Well, it wasn't until very recently that females were allowed to enter combat roles in the military. So, I guess that's it. Total equality. We made it!

Trans females can't be in the military at all now, but then neither can trans males. So, I guess that's a form of equality? Equal discrimination anyway.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join