It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horse meat for dinner if U.S. House gets its way

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
In east Michigan there is 3-4 fat farms that buy horses cheap and pasture them for a year then ship them to Canada. The Flint area has a couple Caro 2-3 and a huge one by Ohmer. Sometimes you go buy and a hundred horses will be out and a month later, all gone.

They eat horse up there?

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Horse. The other, other red meat.

I don't understand why there was a moratorium to start with. Meat is meat. It's probably tougher but is it tasty?

It's culturally relative. When I first visited Sweden, a bunch of Swedish bros let me crash at their farm, took me to a music festival, and went and bought horse sausages to BBQ.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Sagacity

There are a few shops that sell horsemeat, If I remember correct that is all they can sell. No not part of the average canucks diet, some are slaughtered and made into dog food(at one time anyway) live horses shipped to japan, a small amount butchered for local consumption(do not know or have met anyone who eats it) and I imagine some butchered and sent abroad.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Yeah always found human beings weird with what we like to kill and eat and what we do not.
Sheep, Cows, Pigs, Chickens, Deer, Fish, Sharks etc. All fair game.
Whales, Dolphins, Dogs and Cats? Disgusting and off limits.
Yet many will mock people for worshipping cows then lose their # because an Eagle got shot and how dare you shoot a symbol of a nation, but yeah, cows as icons? Just insane amiright?

I see people who will gag at the thought of eating crickets as they scoff down lobsters, crabs, prawns and other bugs from the sea.
Been one of the reasons I've never touched shell fish, always saw them as giant water based cockroaches.

But yes. Please do not kill/eat "insert favourite animal here", it's inhumane.
Now excuse me I am going to go eat some deep fried plucked while alive chicken, gotta love chicken. It tastes like snake.

Sorry what were we talking about again?
Something something humans are ironically and hypocritically stupid wasn't it?

edit on 30-9-2017 by AtomicKangaroo because: is because I had a reason to edit. (god I hate having to do this crap)

edit on 30-9-2017 by AtomicKangaroo because: gah

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: silo13

So, no horse jerky as well?

Horse jerky is fabulous! It's a bit dry but it's really very good and lasting.

Maybe that's how 'they' can start to move the market to swing in favor of horse.

Everyone red blooded right minded American loves jerky don't they?

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
Funny. Horses have many purposes, being "cuisine" ISN'T one of them. Horse obviously isn't cattle, and NOT a common dish. LOL, look at liberals suddenly pretend to be all for consuming horse now. Hilarious...

Sorry but you're misinformed. Horse meat is a major meat in only a few countries, notably in Central Asia, but it forms a significant part of the culinary traditions of many others, from Europe to South America to Asia.

Even Gloria cooked it on Archie Bunker!

And yes, it used to be available in supermarkets all over the USA. I believe the cattle industry purposefully invested in advertising to swing the nations opinion away from horse meat so they get all the 'big red meat' money in their pockets.

peace

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Thanks, that's intersting. Had no idea

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Horse. The other, other red meat.

I don't understand why there was a moratorium to start with. Meat is meat. It's probably tougher but is it tasty?
Cat is the other white meat- The BLM wants to remove the wild mustangs who complete with the cattle for grazing cash rights. Just like the near extinction of the buffalo -BLM crooks

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
What did the Lone Ranger have dinner the day Silver died?

He had Hi Ho Silver -n- gravy
You can stop at Roy Rogers and get a trigger burger, and a bullet slider.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Burro meat is a lot better then horse meat.
stateimpact.npr.org...

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

I have family and friends who think it is absolutely terrible that I process my own poultry

I live in the south and it is pretty common to see a chicken coop or two in any given neighborhood.
So I can't really rap my head around why anyone would think this is terrible?
What do they say to you about it?

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: AtomicKangaroo

It all comes down to one thing really.

Those who know what it is like to starve and those who do not.

The ones who do, understand that for a human when it comes down to it nothing is off the menu.

And I promise you can take the most squeamish person or the most hardcore vegetarian they will change once starvation starts.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I find it beastly and grotesque of Humans to find new animals on the menu and claim them to be 'tender' , 'juicy' etc. As if the Earth isn't loosing its beauty everyday as it is, deforestation, overpopulation of humans, mining, industry etc.

What's so cool about eating new things on the menu such as horse. They go through fear and pain before death. Their death is not swift.

It's not right making delicacy out of a new animal on the menu when the Earth is in a # state with like 4 trees left and a ecosystem that is broken. Oceans are also polluted with chemical waste and plastics.

How I see this discussion:

edit on 1-10-2017 by jonnyc55 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

I have family and friends who think it is absolutely terrible that I process my own poultry

I live in the south and it is pretty common to see a chicken coop or two in any given neighborhood.
So I can't really rap my head around why anyone would think this is terrible?
What do they say to you about it?

They simply have become distanced from reality or just 'feel' better not knowing. Yes, it is easier and sometimes cheaper to go to the store and buy food. They can't understand how I can dispatch and consume what 'they' consider a pet, let alone actually be raising my own poultry. It is simply a different societal perspective bias. Heck, it took my own hubby some time to knowingly eat the hens eggs! He is better about it now.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
It's unlikely that eating horse meat would catch on in the U.S. Horses have many emotional, romantic and I guess "pet" associations. It doesn't sit well with folks here. They are just talking about making it so that the slaughter houses that processed horses could open again. Most of that meat was destined for foreign markets.

I don't have an issue eating horse meat. I do have an issue with them slaughtering those horses and sending them off for human consumption when it isn't safe. Most horses in the United States have regular inoculations and dewormings. Most of these products have some variation of "Not intended for animals to be used for human consumption" on them.

However, opening those slaughter houses will raise the basement price of a horse from You Can't Even Give It Away--$0.00, to $500.00--$700.00. Which is a good thing.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

You would think the moment he tasted the difference in store bought vs fresh from the hen eggs he would have been sold.
It's funny how our perceptions can drastically change our experiences.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Better than letting them starve to death or cannibalize one another during the winter due to overpopulation. I won't eat it. But someone will.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
Better than letting them starve to death or cannibalize one another during the winter due to overpopulation. I won't eat it. But someone will.

I think it's pretty safe to say horses don't 'cannibalize' each other when they're starving I do agree it would be better for them to go to the slaughter house than to starve. What a horrible way to die!

peace

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I'm one of those emotionally attached women who love horses more than people and years ago this would have horrified me.

BUT

Americans and the unethical, stupid, over breeding practices we do to all "companion animals" has produced too many horses and with our economy being what it is, we now have horses literally being "dumped" in the desert here where I live because people can't afford them and can't sell them. It's as bad and worse in other places in the US.

There are not enough homes for the "not up to snuff" race horses and show horses, so in the end a lot of them suffer horribly. That doesn't even take into account the breeding of inferior/diseased/grossly malformed animals that are being bred by horrific, disgusting, unethical breeders of both horses and dogs. As long as they are treated humanely honestly a lot of them would be better off slaughtered than what ends up happening to them now.

I DO however have an issue with the way and amount of Mustangs and wild burros they "harvest" every year. Like someone said above it is going to be like the Bison and wolf and other species that have been eradicated/almost eradicated by beef ranchers complaining they cut into their production. And they are an awesome part of our history that should not go the way of the dodo.

The major issue I have is the way all our commercially produced meat is treated till it is slaughtered. Temple Grandin came up with a method for feed lot chutes that not only made the experience for the cows less terrifying and stressful but in the end saved the ranchers/slaughter houses money because less cows died due to stress or injury. There are a few places that implemented her ideas and it worked great. But the beef industry still fought her, which is typical of greedy humans.

So long story short. If implemented with the compassion I know humans lack and the safety of the production for us and them being actually enforced(and this includes ALL human consumed/produced meat as far as I'm concerned) I have no issue with this. I also think it could be a humane way for horses in horrible situations, to end their suffering now, because they "didn't make the cut" in whatever discipline they were bred for by greedy as F*** humans who are to stupid not to line breed horses with horrific genetic diseases because they "look pretty" (Google "Impressive" and his get for one example).

I could go on with what we've done to our dogs too, but I won't lol. Honestly whoever said they are waiting for an asteroid is right, because frankly humans have become a disease, we destroy EVERYTHING of beauty in the world including each other, because we CAN and WANT to for greed! The world is insane and there is no hope anymore for that to change short of a global catastrophe as far as I can see. Which is why I'm glad I live in the "vaporization" zone for any nukes anyone sends to the west coast heh.
edit on 10/1/2017 by Lilroanie because: oops

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Lilroanie

Thank you for a breath of fresh air. I also raise all the meat I consume (though I've never raised ahorse for meat) and they are loved from day one right up until I 'send their souls to heaven' and their meat to 'Camp Kenmore'.

They do not even know it's coming when they're put down and I make sure there is as little suffering as possible.

While they live? They eat first, they drink first, not me. If their water buckets are not good enough for me to drink from they get changed, etc. They're never bred too young, they're never bred to excess (well, accept for chickens if I have a randy rooster but those go in the stew pot).

I'm not trying to say I'm holier than thou, that isn't it. It's just I don't have the heart to eat meat from a slaughterhouse. I rarely if ever eat out just for this reason.

Oh - and tell me before i go there - is 'Impressive' and Arabian? I was tipped off by the line breeding. I used to have Shaik Al Badi straights. I learned quickly what a joke that was. In one breath saying 'I love living art' - the other breath 'Oh sure, just keep her bred and bred and bred and who cares if it's to her brother or father.' Made me sick.

Edit to Add:

Ahhhh, not an Arabian... Well, same idea different horse.

peace
edit on 1620Sunday201713 by silo13 because: see above

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join