It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U Of Washington Study Links ‘Microaggressions’ To Whites-No Whites included in study

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
a reply to: Peeple

Then why all the hoopla over rebranding a well known and understood term such as prejudices as "microaggressions" then?

Oh, that's right, some people needed to publish a paper to get a degree, or to write a series of books, or go on the lecture circuit all to make $$$. Right.

I guess the social studies arena has used the ufology model to create a profitable industry.

Got it.

I don't believe that was the motiviation...

“We were motivated to develop a measure of White people’s self-reported likelihood of actually saying the things that Black students say they experience as microaggressive,” he said.

...Black students say they experience...

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

The ma'at, mate. The world ends haven't you heard? A few billions of galactic years and progress will make the universe collapse.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

originally posted by: yuppa
word salad

recognizing our culture is still #ed up is not 'white guilt', it's taking responsibility for trying to make things better.

if you don't think things are still #ed up, i don't know what to tell you. it's not like the evidence isn't widely available. you have to want to know.

congrats on being so exemplary to all strangers, while at the same time not taking responsibility for anything offensive you say. not sure how that works, but kudos.

Step 1 to "making things better": quit worrying about what ails society, and just tend your own garden. If you can get your garden weed free, help your neighbor tend theirs.

But in all honesty...society is just another word for "collective". And the ailments of the collective are just not something I care about. I can't fix stupid, I can't convince people to be more polite. All I can do is tend to me and mine, and hope everyone else gets their collective heads out of their asses.

Seeing the NFL start acting like a bunch of Nancy's who need to be heard, rather than just doing their jobs, is not giving me much hope. Its the last place i would have expected histrionics.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Then why all the hoopla over rebranding a well known and understood term such as prejudices as "microaggressions" then?

living languages change, like living societies. i'm not sure why people find this so threatening.

Because some see it for what it truly is. A way to make $$$ at the expense of ripping the fabric of society apart. How is that any different than the outwardly racist rhetoric from the white supremacy camp?

Truth is, there is no difference.

Only you can make words feel hurtful to yourself. If someone willingly gives that power over to another, then shame on that person for not letting mere words affect them.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Ive often been told that the "poorest" white person is still richer and more privileged than the richest "minority"

Damned if you do, and damned if you dont.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
word salad

recognizing our culture is still #ed up is not 'white guilt', it's taking responsibility for trying to make things better.

if you don't think things are still #ed up, i don't know what to tell you. it's not like the evidence isn't widely available. you have to want to know.

congrats on being so exemplary to all strangers, while at the same time not taking responsibility for anything offensive you say. not sure how that works, but kudos.

How do you take responsibility for something that can never be fixed UNLESS you switch places? even then they would not be happy. Its Liberalism to the extreme. Conforming to please others isnt the way yo live a normal life.

Culture is only Fd up in your view and their view. Justice system...thats messed up. Hiring practices? not bad as it used to be abnd getting better. Point is that its all PERCEPTION and each person has a different one.

Now where did I say I dont take responsibility for my speech? Once again Perception. If oyu automatically start out wanting to find agression you will. because your mind is going to invent it for everything you can think of.

Such as Returning a persons wallet.(personally did this) and was immediatly accussed of stealing it from the african american man i returned it to. HE perceived a white person giving his wallet back as a way to get money out of me or the store. (th eman was a well known scammer btw)

Anyway you have fun COnforming to others perception. Orwell was right.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Oh, that's right, some people needed to publish a paper to get a degree, or to write a series of books, or go on the lecture circuit all to make $$$. Right.

I guess the social studies arena has used the ufology model to create a profitable industry.

Got it.

“We were motivated to develop a measure of White people’s self-reported likelihood of actually saying the things that Black students say they experience as microaggressive,” he said.

From the OP story:

Led by Jonathan Kanther, a research associate professor at the University of Washington, and professors from other universities

The paper was published in the journal Race and Social Problems. An article about the paper, which was published on the UW website, claims that it explores “the association between the likelihood of delivering microaggressions and racial prejudice.”

Yeah, these university professors did all this for free, not taking an grant money or being paid as faculty. Oh, and publishing is life in academia to keep your job.

No, money is not a motivating factor at all.

SMH

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
The study, oddly enough, only asked minority students if they experienced micro aggression, no white people were included in the survey. Odd.

Speaking to The College Fix, Kanter said that older research only surveyed the experiences of minorities, but didn’t ask white people how often they engage in microaggressions. “We were motivated to develop a measure of White people’s self-reported likelihood of actually saying the things that Black students say they experience as microaggressive,” he said.
dailycaller.com...

Assuming Asians enjoy rice is a micro aggression. And according to this study (of only minority students) white students are the problem.

A study at the University of Washington claims an empirical link between “microaggressions” and racism in white students. The study also claims that “conservative ideological beliefs” are firmly linked to racism.

Microaggressions are defined as subtle forms of bias that are not as blatant as shouting a racial slur, or openly discriminating against a person based on their race. They are claimed to emerge in everyday exchanges, which may offend ethnic minorities. In recent years, microaggressions have come to encompass other forms of “marginalization” relating to gender, sexuality, weight, and appearance.

What exactly are conservative ideological beliefs? Is there a definition somewhere? I don't understand this statement.

Here is the link:
link.springer.com - A Preliminary Report on the Relationship Between Microaggressions Against Black People and Racism Among White College Students...

Racism is a multifaceted and complex construct, and some measures have been criticized as being confounded by inclusion of conservative ideological beliefs as indicators of racial prejudice (Lilienfeld 2017). Although research is clear that some conservative ideological beliefs are strongly associated with racial prejudice in their own right (e.g., Dhont and Hodson 2014), suggesting that inclusion of these beliefs in measures should not simply be considered a confound but a feature of the construct under investigation, a strength of the current study is the use of multiple measures of racism, including measures which are direct and pure indices of hostility and feelings toward black people independent of ideology (i.e., the racial feeling thermometer and the Allophilia Scale). Results were consistent across all measures. Overall, the current results offer preliminary support that the delivery of microaggressions by white students is not simply innocuous behavior and may be indicative of broad, complex, and negative racial attitudes and explicit underlying hostility and negative feelings toward black students.

The point in the study was to include many measures, independent of ideology (like conservative ideology).

Here's a study to support what's asserted there:
www.livescience.com - Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice...

The research finds that children with low intelligence are more likely to hold prejudiced attitudes as adults. These findings point to a vicious cycle, according to lead researcher Gordon Hodson, a psychologist at Brock University in Ontario. Low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, the study found. Those ideologies, in turn, stress hierarchy and resistance to change, attitudes that can contribute to prejudice, Hodson wrote in an email to LiveScience.

Social conservatives were defined as people who agreed with a laundry list of statements such as "Family life suffers if mum is working full-time," and "Schools should teach children to obey authority." Attitudes toward other races were captured by measuring agreement with statements such as "I wouldn't mind working with people from other races." (These questions measured overt prejudiced attitudes, but most people, no matter how egalitarian, do hold unconscious racial biases; Hodson's work can't speak to this "underground" racism.)

edit on 9/29/2017 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

It's not my definition. There are vast numbers of stories on how using "guys" is a mico aggression. Seems you are guilty of using the verbiage, sorry.

yes, for example if i deliberately misgendered a trans person, that would be wrong. but you're looking for what you think is the dumbest single example, so you can dismiss all of it. that's intellectually dishonest.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DisinfoEqualsTerrorism
a reply to: yuppa

Intent means everything.

A trivial action with the incorrect intent isn't limited to a trivial effect. 1 Bullet can start a war.

You say it doesn't matter because it's unconscious actions, but proving intent makes all the difference.

The racists have discovered this and have decided to be racist in ways that are harder to prove. You can watch a literal evolution of this over time in history.

how do you have intent unconsciously?(as in not realizing it) you cant. Intent is KNOWINGLY.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

So, conversely, is a black teen wearing a hoodie on a hot day considered a microaggression for white people too?
What about loudly playing cop killer rap, is that a microaggression?

We wouldn't know because no one asked white folks.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Got it.

From the OP story:

Led by Jonathan Kanther, a research associate professor at the University of Washington, and professors from other universities

The paper was published in the journal Race and Social Problems. An article about the paper, which was published on the UW website, claims that it explores “the association between the likelihood of delivering microaggressions and racial prejudice.”

Yeah, these university professors did all this for free, not taking an grant money or being paid as faculty. Oh, and publishing is life in academia to keep your job.

SMH

Here is the motivation to seek money to study this issue.

He ran into a former classmate from Kentridge High School in Kent, who greeted him with a puzzled look on her face. “Kaid, what are you doing here?” “I’m walking to class …” he said. His classmate look baffled. “Wait, you go to school here?” To Tipton, a track star who worked hard in high school to get top grades, whose guiding philosophy was to disprove stereotypes about black male athletes, there was a clear subtext to the awkward question: Do you really belong here?

And one afternoon on lower campus, Tipton was watching a game show on TV with other athletes. One of the contestants was black, and during the show he was given a choice to take $40,000 or gamble on a riskier option. The man turned the money down. A white student watching the show exploded in disbelief. Why didn’t he take the money, he said. That’s probably double his income. The student’s assumption, Tipton said, that black people never make more than $20,000 a year, was an indirect racial slam.

He thinks back to the “What are you doing here?” question from his high-school classmate, and says he would respond differently now. Today, he would ask: “What do you mean by that?”

www.seattletimes.com...

This "elite" university seems to be having problems in this regard, hence the academia wanting to address this issue, IMO.
edit on 19CDT02America/Chicago04520230 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I would argue that CRT *is* a large part of the problem since it purports to measure these things in terms of superficial characteristics - largely skin color.

Imagine if we were filtering all of this through the measure of eye color or hair color and you tell me how invalid CRT is or should be.

That is how much skin tone should matter that it doesn't and that it now seems to matter to us far more than did just 10 years ago will tell you how much damage CRT and its "studies" children seem to be doing.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite

originally posted by: seasonal
The study, oddly enough, only asked minority students if they experienced micro aggression, no white people were included in the survey. Odd.

Speaking to The College Fix, Kanter said that older research only surveyed the experiences of minorities, but didn’t ask white people how often they engage in microaggressions. “We were motivated to develop a measure of White people’s self-reported likelihood of actually saying the things that Black students say they experience as microaggressive,” he said.
dailycaller.com...

Assuming Asians enjoy rice is a micro aggression. And according to this study (of only minority students) white students are the problem.

A study at the University of Washington claims an empirical link between “microaggressions” and racism in white students. The study also claims that “conservative ideological beliefs” are firmly linked to racism.

Microaggressions are defined as subtle forms of bias that are not as blatant as shouting a racial slur, or openly discriminating against a person based on their race. They are claimed to emerge in everyday exchanges, which may offend ethnic minorities. In recent years, microaggressions have come to encompass other forms of “marginalization” relating to gender, sexuality, weight, and appearance.

What exactly are conservative ideological beliefs? Is there a definition somewhere? I don't understand this statement.

Here is the link:
link.springer.com - A Preliminary Report on the Relationship Between Microaggressions Against Black People and Racism Among White College Students...

Racism is a multifaceted and complex construct, and some measures have been criticized as being confounded by inclusion of conservative ideological beliefs as indicators of racial prejudice (Lilienfeld 2017). Although research is clear that some conservative ideological beliefs are strongly associated with racial prejudice in their own right (e.g., Dhont and Hodson 2014), suggesting that inclusion of these beliefs in measures should not simply be considered a confound but a feature of the construct under investigation, a strength of the current study is the use of multiple measures of racism, including measures which are direct and pure indices of hostility and feelings toward black people independent of ideology (i.e., the racial feeling thermometer and the Allophilia Scale). Results were consistent across all measures. Overall, the current results offer preliminary support that the delivery of microaggressions by white students is not simply innocuous behavior and may be indicative of broad, complex, and negative racial attitudes and explicit underlying hostility and negative feelings toward black students.

The point in the study was to include many measures, independent of ideology (like conservative ideology).

Here's a study to support what's asserted there:
www.livescience.com - Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice...

The research finds that children with low intelligence are more likely to hold prejudiced attitudes as adults. These findings point to a vicious cycle, according to lead researcher Gordon Hodson, a psychologist at Brock University in Ontario. Low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, the study found. Those ideologies, in turn, stress hierarchy and resistance to change, attitudes that can contribute to prejudice, Hodson wrote in an email to LiveScience.

Social conservatives were defined as people who agreed with a laundry list of statements such as "Family life suffers if mum is working full-time," and "Schools should teach children to obey authority." Attitudes toward other races were captured by measuring agreement with statements such as "I wouldn't mind working with people from other races." (These questions measured overt prejudiced attitudes, but most people, no matter how egalitarian, do hold unconscious racial biases; Hodson's work can't speak to this "underground" racism.)

Is this your America today?
edit on 19CDT02America/Chicago04120230 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: luciferslight
Are jokes considered microaggressions?

Yep. Any assumptions based on stereotypes are a micro-aggression.

"Oh, do make your mind up, dear"
"Are you lost love? Can't find your way back to the kitchen?"

"You twerk good for a white person"

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: luciferslight
Are jokes considered microaggressions?

Yep. Any assumptions based on stereotypes are a micro-aggression.

"Oh, do make your mind up, dear"
"Are you lost love? Can't find your way back to the kitchen?"

"You twerk good for a white person"

"White men can't jump".

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Got it.

From the OP story:

SMH

And one afternoon on lower campus, Tipton was watching a game show on TV with other athletes. One of the contestants was black, and during the show he was given a choice to take $40,000 or gamble on a riskier option. The man turned the money down. A white student watching the show exploded in disbelief. Why didn’t he take the money, he said. That’s probably double his income. The student’s assumption, Tipton said, that black people never make more than $20,000 a year, was an indirect racial slam.

www.seattletimes.com...

This "elite" university seems to be having problems in this regard, hence the academia wanting to address this issue, IMO.

He ran into a former classmate from Kentridge High School in Kent, who greeted him with a puzzled look on her face. “Kaid, what are you doing here?” “I’m walking to class …” he said. His classmate look baffled. “Wait, you go to school here?” To Tipton, a track star who worked hard in high school to get top grades, whose guiding philosophy was to disprove stereotypes about black male athletes, there was a clear subtext to the awkward question: Do you really belong here?

So, it couldn;t be as simple as the classmate thinking, "Wow....cool. Someone else I know goes here. Awesome!". No it MUST be racially motivated. Did Kaid ask her why she said that or just read her mind that is was a racial slap?

See, this is all based upon the very unscientific practice of mind reading. It is one step below being accused of a thought crime.

So, these professors still eared $$$ to study, publish, and propagate this BS? And, how many books are now sold on this subject?

Behavioral Activation: Distinctive Features (CBT Distinctive Features) by Jonathan W. Kanter (2009-04-20)

Yeah, no profit there......none....

SMH

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Got it.

From the OP story:

SMH

www.seattletimes.com...

So, it couldn;t be as simple as the classmate thinking, "Wow....cool. Someone else I know goes here. Awesome!". No it MUST be racially motivated. Did Kaid ask her why she said that or just read her mind that is was a racial slap?

See, this is all based upon the very unscientific practice of mind reading. It is one step below being accused of a thought crime.

So, these professors still eared $$$ to study, publish, and propagate this BS? And, how many books are now sold on this subject?

Behavioral Activation: Distinctive Features (CBT Distinctive Features) by Jonathan W. Kanter (2009-04-20)

Yeah, no profit there......none....

SMH

Wow, you responded just like the white respondents did.

Results indicated that white students who said they were more likely to make microaggressive statements were also significantly more likely to score higher on all the other measures of racism and prejudice, and results were not affected by social desirability. The statement that yielded the highest statistical relation to other measures of racism among white respondents came from the “diversity workshop” scenario, in which a class discusses white privilege. Though only about 14 percent of white respondents said they were likely to think or say, “A lot of minorities are too sensitive,” the statement had the highest correlation with negative feelings toward blacks. Nearly 94 percent of black respondents said the statement was racist.

Kanter said he’s heard from critics who say the study has a liberal bias, or that the research should examine offenses against white people. But he says the point is to address racism targeted at oppressed and stigmatized groups. “We’re interested in developing interventions to help people interact with each other better, to develop trusting, nonoffensive, interracial relationships among people. If we want to decrease racism, then we need to try to decrease microaggressions,” he said. Other authors of the study were UW graduate students Adam Kuczynski and Katherine Manbeck; Monnica Williams of the University of Connecticut, Marlena Debreaux of the University of Kentucky; and Daniel Rosen of Bastyr University. The study was funded by a grant from the American Psychological Foundation.

So the American Psychological Foundation thought it a worthy study, hmm.

www.washington.edu...
edit on 19CDT03America/Chicago00130330 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

The ma'at, mate. The world ends haven't you heard? A few billions of galactic years and progress will make the universe collapse.

that's okay, i plan on being dead by then

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

You know what else is interesting?

Less then 50% of studies like this one can be reproduced too. Including the lovely ones our left-leaning friend posted about how stupid people are conservative or something.

www.bbc.com...

www.smithsonianmag.com...

So I think we should file some of this away with a grain of salt.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join