It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U Of Washington Study Links ‘Microaggressions’ To Whites-No Whites included in study

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: Krakatoa

I have no issues calling people stupid. To deny racism exists is ignorant. To ignore the point of the study we're talking about is stupid.
I don't like stupid people. That's a macroaggression for you.
Haha funny right?

Where have I claimed racism does not exist? Please point that out. What I find does not exist is the concept of microaggressions. It is merely an excuse to project outwardly a persons own insecurities and unwillingness to control their own feelings. If you can let an external force harm your self worth merely by the use of words, then you will forever be a victim in this world.

I see that as a sad and pitiful way to spend a life.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
No, I am using sarcasm to make a point that the microaggression concept is complete BS. It grew from the teachings that everyone is a victim. Frankly, I see that as a submissive approach to life. Frankly, I refuse to allow someone to control my feelings. So, sarcasm is a tool to shine a light on that which is ridiculous.

Unless, of course, that hurts your feelings. Then, that is on you to resolve as nobody can make you feel anything. That is a personal decision.

you definitely haven't hurt my feelings. i've just based that characterization on reading your posts

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

No, I am using sarcasm to make a point that the microaggression concept is complete BS. It grew from the teachings that everyone is a victim. Frankly, I see that as a submissive approach to life. Frankly, I refuse to allow someone to control my feelings. So, sarcasm is a tool to shine a light on that which is ridiculous.

Unless, of course, that hurts your feelings. Then, that is on you to resolve as nobody can make you feel anything. That is a personal decision.

you definitely haven't hurt my feelings. i've just based that characterization on reading your posts

Yet, you failed to understand the sarcasm within. Now, who is ignorant?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DisinfoEqualsTerrorism
a reply to: seasonal

You can't commit a micro aggression without intent.

You sure about that?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DisinfoEqualsTerrorism
a reply to: seasonal

You can't commit a micro aggression without intent.

So actually you're wrong.

Let's say, now that it's 'on the record' that you are 'questioning'.

He can now 'accidentally' call you the wrong pronoun as 'he adjusts' over demanded usage of pronouns.

Sure there can be innocent mistake, but if every time they incorrectly address you after you've reintroduced yourself, it's not a mistake, it's an intended slur to how you perceive yourself verses how they perceive you.

If you meet a trans person and the first time you meet them you get the pronoun wrong, 98/100 will forgive you. If you repeatedly call them the wrong pronoun, and it seems to become aware to them you are doing that on purpose, they will hate you, simple as that, but most of you know, and are just purposefully being hateful.(for that effect)
edit on 29-9-2017 by DisinfoEqualsTerrorism because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Yet, you failed to understand the sarcasm within. Now, who is ignorant?

i don't think i failed to understand a thing. but if you're so desperate to win some kind of internet point, have a medal.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Everything exists somewhere at some point...even racism. That does not mean it is prevalent at all. To be frank though this study is pretty stupid as it only looks at one side and the side it looks at is purely subjective anyway. End of the day if someone wants to play the victim there are no shortages of mental gymnastics for them to use to get there...in their own mind that is. The rest of us will look on with pity and hope they snap out of it and realize 99% of the time life and everything in it is what you make of it and most things that happen are a result of your own actions...you just aren't able to foresee everything and so it appears it is the fault of something outside yourself. No personal responsibility and a lot of thin skin...smh

link   

originally posted by: seasonal
The study, oddly enough, only asked minority students if they experienced micro aggression, no white people were included in the survey. Odd.

Speaking to The College Fix, Kanter said that older research only surveyed the experiences of minorities, but didn’t ask white people how often they engage in microaggressions. “We were motivated to develop a measure of White people’s self-reported likelihood of actually saying the things that Black students say they experience as microaggressive,” he said.
dailycaller.com...

Assuming Asians enjoy rice is a micro aggression. And according to this study (of only minority students) white students are the problem.

A study at the University of Washington claims an empirical link between “microaggressions” and racism in white students. The study also claims that “conservative ideological beliefs” are firmly linked to racism.

Microaggressions are defined as subtle forms of bias that are not as blatant as shouting a racial slur, or openly discriminating against a person based on their race. They are claimed to emerge in everyday exchanges, which may offend ethnic minorities. In recent years, microaggressions have come to encompass other forms of “marginalization” relating to gender, sexuality, weight, and appearance.

What exactly are conservative ideological beliefs? Is there a definition somewhere? I don't understand this statement.

link   

Microaggression is just a new word to describe prejudices and they're bad. Outdated and stupid but alive and well. It has nothing to do with "feelings not under control". Just because I am a woman I don't like shopping and don't want a baby. For example. If we call it prejudices would that make it easier for you to grasp?

link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

originally posted by: yuppa
Micro agressions exist in th eoffended persons mind alone. unless you know a persons heart you cannot 100 percent say they are being agressive to you. Saying you can is a dam lie.

sure, and when i committed micro aggressions i didn't have an aggressive intent. i was ignorant. but the cultural presumption that led me to think what i said was okay was symptomatic of a larger cultural aggression towards minorities -- a dismissiveness toward their very existence as authentic people, since they're different from my mainstream, white life.

don't get too hung up on the name.

What you consider micro agressions most of us consider unconscious actions and as such should not b eheld responsible for. just existing basically is a micro agression these days.

I dont know where you get off on calling the entire culture micro agressive. its not like it was. not all things are white man ran these days. A culture is everything in a country. American culture includes all americans.
You confuse ethnicity with it apparently. I have personally treated all people the same in my life. Judge people by actions alone. I do have standards though and if I do not know you i treat you the same as any other stranger. I give common courtesy to strangers.

You got to get over your white guilt to move on. Im not responsible for someone elses perception. If they get butt hurt over that F them. Stop blaming people who have no control over things and the past as th eproblem.

claiming micro agressions is another way to stick it to da man in their eyes. WHen Da man they should had done that to is long dead. Guilt by association is really stupid.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
word salad

recognizing our culture is still #ed up is not 'white guilt', it's taking responsibility for trying to make things better.

if you don't think things are still #ed up, i don't know what to tell you. it's not like the evidence isn't widely available. you have to want to know.

congrats on being so exemplary to all strangers, while at the same time not taking responsibility for anything offensive you say. not sure how that works, but kudos.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
It's all about the intent. There are a lot of people that accidentally create micro aggression's and don't even realize they are doing it. The person effected usually don't point it out either, like did you mean that? People should just take things for face value and just be happy. Stop reading too much into what people are saying and the problem almost goes away. It is just a side effect when languages get so complex there can be a lot of double speak.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Microaggression is just a new word to describe prejudices and they're bad. Outdated and stupid but alive and well. It has nothing to do with "feelings not under control". Just because I am a woman I don't like shopping and don't want a baby. For example. If we call it prejudices would that make it easier for you to grasp?

So askign a question(How humans learn) is a prejudice? SO no one should ask a question anymore right?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

If I'm not wrong a theory is not a fact. Just saying.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Intent means everything.

A trivial action with the incorrect intent isn't limited to a trivial effect. 1 Bullet can start a war.

You say it doesn't matter because it's unconscious actions, but proving intent makes all the difference.

The racists have discovered this and have decided to be racist in ways that are harder to prove. You can watch a literal evolution of this over time in history.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

What?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Then why all the hoopla over rebranding a well known and understood term such as prejudices as "microaggressions" then?

Oh, that's right, some people needed to publish a paper to get a degree, or to write a series of books, or go on the lecture circuit all to make $$$. Right.

I guess the social studies arena has used the ufology model to create a profitable industry.

Got it.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Star for truth

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Just another way to call anyone not of a particular political mindset "racist".

Screw U-Dub. Pac-10 schools are chump schools anyway.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

a reply to: Peeple

Then why all the hoopla over rebranding a well known and understood term such as prejudices as "microaggressions" then?

living languages change, like living societies. i'm not sure why people find this so threatening.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join