It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U Of Washington Study Links ‘Microaggressions’ To Whites-No Whites included in study

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The study, oddly enough, only asked minority students if they experienced micro aggression, no white people were included in the survey. Odd.

Speaking to The College Fix, Kanter said that older research only surveyed the experiences of minorities, but didn’t ask white people how often they engage in microaggressions. “We were motivated to develop a measure of White people’s self-reported likelihood of actually saying the things that Black students say they experience as microaggressive,” he said.
dailycaller.com...

Assuming Asians enjoy rice is a micro aggression. And according to this study (of only minority students) white students are the problem.

A study at the University of Washington claims an empirical link between “microaggressions” and racism in white students. The study also claims that “conservative ideological beliefs” are firmly linked to racism.

Microaggressions are defined as subtle forms of bias that are not as blatant as shouting a racial slur, or openly discriminating against a person based on their race. They are claimed to emerge in everyday exchanges, which may offend ethnic minorities. In recent years, microaggressions have come to encompass other forms of “marginalization” relating to gender, sexuality, weight, and appearance.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Are jokes considered microaggressions?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

80% of CRT is bull#, 15% is such a non-starter that it may as well be and 5% is probably worth further consideration. CRT has done exponentially more to fuel right-wing propaganda than it has to improve race relations.

+12 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

How about we stop racializing poverty by acknowledging that there are poor whites also.

One of the biggest problem with the Regressive Left was that they make whites = rich while minorities = poor while ignoring the poor whites.

Part of the reason why some minorities hated white people was because they associate them with rich snobby people and never knew whites can be poor too.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: luciferslight

Are jokes considered microaggressions?

Well if the jokes are about minorities then yes they are microaggressions. And the jokes are 100% white students fault, according to the study.

We can't tell if jokes about whites are microaggressions, they were omitted from the study, I imagine it was an oversight. Right?

Seriously the study is the joke, and so is the U of W.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
So, conversely, is a black teen wearing a hoodie on a hot day considered a microaggression for white people too?
What about loudly playing cop killer rap, is that a microaggression?

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

80% of CRT is bull#, 15% is such a non-starter that it may as well be and 5% is probably worth further consideration. CRT has done exponentially more to fuel right-wing propaganda than it has to improve race relations.

Thank you for your comment that has nothing to do with the story.

edit on 29-9-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Did you read that part too?

Or were you bias blind when it came to the content?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

The propaganda machine plays the American people like a fiddle. Anything showing up in the daily caller showing up here is just proof for how the propaganda machine works. Framing a story creating rage is a very well known propaganda science.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Because I sometimes wear an eyepatch thanks to having only one eye, when people ask me if i'm going to be a pirate for Halloween, does that count as a microaggression?

Maybe someone can commission a study on my behalf.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

The study should have asked white students the same questions and folded that into the study. This "study" is biased.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

You don't need much propaganda when they use the tools of selective reading to hold on to their victimhood.

Read this again and again and again.... if you want to you can make your own study switching places (black/white) but this fellow decided this is what he was going for and did it.
Is that a microaggression that he didn't make the opposite study himself? Maybe. But as a matter of fact minorities get harassed more often by state forces such as police than whites.
Remember this

as long as that is reality you can whine all you want, but:
racism is a serious problem.

edit on 29-9-2017 by Peeple because: Add

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I'm trying to picture the future, just 10 years from now.

We will censor and be censored. Being offended will be covered by your government health plan.

Free expression is dying.

SMH

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Free expression isn't dying the way it's expressed is.

They(White People) were clever in the 80's, and decided mockery of racism defeated it best.

It's well past defeated, however the mockery is causing a rise.

What do?
edit on 29-9-2017 by DisinfoEqualsTerrorism because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: luciferslight

They *could be* but the qualification for what is or isn't a microaggression, like most things in CRT, is completely subjective. In other words, if people feel that something is a microaggression, then it is.

Even if phenomena labeled with the poorly termed "microaggression" are in some cases real, and I think we can all agree that there are certainly instances where people unconsciously do/say things that are offensive, belittling, etc to others or make them feel somehow excluded, there's no practical solution.

Telling people that they're being unconsciously racist only makes those people defensive and so at best, it's instantly counterproductive.

That's typical of most of what CRT has spawned.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DisinfoEqualsTerrorism
a reply to: DBCowboy

Free expression isn't dying the way it's expressed is.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Thank you for your comment that have nothing to do with the story.

It doesn't? Microaggressions are a concept that comes from CRT (Critical Race Theory). But you knew that, because you're not just reposting random stuff from right-wing media outlets.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

The propaganda machine plays the American people like a fiddle. Anything showing up in the daily caller showing up here is just proof for how the propaganda machine works. Framing a story creating rage is a very well known propaganda science.

It's so effective that the OP didn't even realize that I'm agreeing that the survey is probably bull#. He's not at all familiar with the context, he just reacts.
edit on 2017-9-29 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

The best example of 'micro-aggression' is the Banana Peel in the Tree story for explaining the nature of the subjectivity of micro aggression.

Sure the kid could have just dropped the Peel in the Tree, but the objective message received by the black kid was not innocent, and it's even rather labeled this way because of the deniability verses the accountability.

Could you imagine trying to prove someone put a Banana Peel in your Tree as a racist act without solid video evidence? The point is people are susceptible to micro aggression because they are too hard to pursue, not that people are constantly feeling agressed towards falsely, but rather that as an additional data error with something that's actually real. There are too many cases to view the phenomena as solely subjectivity.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I think this links the same study:
www.washington.edu - Offhand comments can expose underlying racism, UW study finds...

“Our study results offer validation to people of color when they experience microaggressions. Their reactions can’t simply be dismissed as crazy, unreasonable or too sensitive,” Kanter said. “According to our data, the reaction of a person of color — being confused, upset or offended in some way — makes sense, because they have experienced what our data show: that people who are more likely to make these comments also are more racist in other ways.”

In the “current events” scenario — the one that yielded the highest percentage of “likely” responses from whites — respondents were to imagine talking about topics in the news, such as police brutality and unemployment. More than half of white respondents said they would think or say, “All lives matter, not just black lives,” while 30 percent said they might say, “I don’t think of black people as black,” and 26 percent said they were likely to think or say, “The police have a tough job. It is not their fault if they occasionally make a mistake.” More than half of black respondents identified each of those statements as racist.

“We’re interested in developing interventions to help people interact with each other better, to develop trusting, nonoffensive, interracial relationships among people. If we want to decrease racism, then we need to try to decrease microaggressions,” he said.

The study authors do say on an individual basis microaggressions don't directly mean a person is racist, but since they're more likely to be and since a black suffers, the black person should be offended.

I'm tired of "black" and "white" being used so much. I understand we're supposed to use these terms so racism can't hide, but /sigh.

Wish I could change my username...
edit on 9/29/2017 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join