It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Distractions Without

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Modern life is filled to the brim with distractions. You'e probably heard that before and simply shrug it off as "just the way it is" and not worthy of further examination. Well, you'd be wrong. If you've ever been in the position to perform a deep environmental analysis you'd understand. (Give it a try sometime and you'll see the truth.)

Everywhere you go, whatever you do, there are distractions. Are these distractions necessary? To some extent, yes they are, but they can also be counter-productive to self-reflection and self-realisation. Without self-reflection and self-realisation you are nothing but a perpetually distracted robot.

So why do distractions exist? For two important, albeit depressing, reasons:

1) To misdirect you from seeking answers to your questions from within your being
2) To prevent you from dwelling on the fact that you are alone in the universe

So I say to you basking in distractions: away with distractions without, embrace reflection within!

edit on 29-9-2017 by Incandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Incandescent
To keep us under control - that is the purpose or indirect result of distractions. Think how dangerous we would be to TPTB if we weren't glued to the TV.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Before we 'reflect from within' we must silence the eternal dialogue in our thought stream.

The 'distraction' you speak of is easy to perceive. Find a quiet place to sit wth your eyes closed. See how long you can 'stay in the room' in the present before your mind 'wanders off' into the thought stream. Every time your mind wanders bring your attention back to the room. Try this for five minutes, one minute... ten seconds to see how powerful the influence of a lifetime of external (worldly) conditioning on your conscious awareness really is.

You can't do it, go ahead and try.

Your mind is not your own.

You must drift away from the moment into your schedule, activity, goals, stuff-- (people, places and things).

You aren't supposed to be still and know. You're supposed to mindlessly go, go, go.

edit on 29-9-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Sad but true.

How can one remedy this external conditioning?

Only thing I can think of is become a devout monk and spend 12+ hours a day meditating...

edit on 29-9-2017 by Incandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Incandescent

Sad but true.

Only thing I can think of is become a devout monk and spend 12+ hours a day meditating...

No monkishness required. Thats an extremist distraction as well. Breaking the hold is undone the same way it was done, a little bit at a time.

The conditioning to get where we are took a lifetime, one day at a time. It can be reversed the same way, a day at time. We been practicing distraction, we need to practice focus. Its a chore, painful even. Requiring but a few minutes a couple times a day of sitting quietly and trying to stay in the room. You know its working if it 'hurts'. Boredom, anxiety, the urge to get up move, do anything but ... stay in the moment, in the room.

This is the way to practice meditation or prayer. Sitting quietly and re training the mind to stay in the now. It will take time, like quitting any other bad habit, smoking or drinking for instance, It takes work. After all we worked this hard to become addicted to distraction in the first place.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Without distractions I would go insane. I don't want to be left with the resources of only my own mind. It's great to take time without them, such as meditation, but as a steady diet, no thanks.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Becoming a monk wouldn't be so bad. A well rounded meal from the major food groups, vits and mineral not quantity. And silence from without, within. If you're an extro though, fuggetaboutit.
edit on 29-9-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

You don't "need" to 'drop out' (Unless of course that is 'Your bag'...) Just be 'present' in EVERY THING You do. "They" (The Ones providing the distractions) want You distracted, but more than that 'they' NEED You distracted for 'them' to go further in their exploits. The more the folks get 'awakened' the less 'power' They will wield...

Since I fell out about 6 years ago, I've whittled My days down to the 2 Ds.. If I can get the dogs to the Dog park and then get home to do the Dishes, then I've had a "Full Day" To those still involved in 'the game' then it is a "Fool Day"... I do some light Yoga and Meditation then I'll do a 'walking meditation' at the Dog park..

I've also been able to get off 5 Rx poisons from BigPHarma™ and am now 'healthier' than when I went through the police academy and the 2 years I played pro baseball...

Stay Hydrated...

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Sad but true.

LOL - not necessary. It's possible to calm the mind amid the hubbub of modern life - listen to the Podcast "Meditation in the City' for help.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:22 AM
link   

So why do distractions exist? For two important, albeit depressing, reasons:

1) To misdirect you from seeking answers to your questions from within your being
2) To prevent you from dwelling on the fact that you are alone in the universe

Well, all depends on perspective taken, it can seem depressing or uplifting. Personally I would formulate the latter reason into something else.

To prevent you from realizing that you are the universe become flesh. You never were alone as it implies separation, you are part of this reality. That is one more conditioning just talking, there never were any boundaries anywhere. Still depressing? And I can tell you, you won't need any distractions once the boundaries disappear.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TatTvamAsi

How does one go about making the boundaries disappear?

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 02:41 AM
link   

How does one go about making the boundaries disappear?

You have been conditioned to think of yourself as an individual with a fixed border, the body you inhabit. You are not your body or mind, you are awareness. Whatever that awareness touches is an extension of you. You cannot exist without your backdrop to sustain you, that is your environment, we live in an oceanic existence with mutual co-dependence and interaction. Where do you choose to draw the border is ultimately up to you.

Boundless existence, Unio Mystica, is what all sages of all ages have sought after. The cessation of your being, dissolvement into the ocean, it has been called many names throughout the ages. It is such a simple thing and such a hard thing at the same time. If you truly are interested in the subject, start somewhere, personally, I siphoned on zen.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Interesting information, thanks for your contribution.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 05:52 AM
link   

The tradition to follow does not matter. You can find the same truths also in the bible.

"the kingdom of God is within you"
"unless you change and become like little children, you will NEVER enter the kingdom of heaven"
"The eye is the lamp of the body. If your vision is clear, your whole body will be full of light."

Just in my opinion, in Christianity they didn't leave a very clear map on how to purify the eye, become like children and find that kingdom within.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TatTvamAsi
Just in my opinion, in Christianity they didn't leave a very clear map on how to purify the eye, become like children and find that kingdom within.

Young children, like animals, only see what is actually appearing. Adults are walking around with thoughts about themselves - 'what I did in the past' and 'how I will do it in the future' - 'how do I look now'. A young child or an animal do not see themselves. If you look now you will not see 'yourself' either.
It is the absence of 'you' that reveals the kingdom (presence).

edit on 1-10-2017 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

Young children, like animals, only see what is actually appearing. Adults are walking around with thoughts about themselves in time - 'what I did in the past' and 'how I will do it in the future'.
A young child or an animal do not see themselves. If you look now you will not see 'yourself' either.
It is the absence of 'you' that reveals the kingdom.

Hello itsnowagain, I was already wondering where u are...

Projecting anything, true reality collapses into a fabrication of your own making.

Actually, this is kind of funny, I was just today wondering if that is the reason, 'not seeing oneself', that little children hardly retain any memory into adulthood of their childhood ?

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Actually, this is kind of funny, I was just today wondering if that is the reason, 'not seeing oneself', that little children hardly retain any memory into adulthood of their childhood ?

When a baby comes out of the womb it has no ideas (no concepts at all) - it is simply aware. It is not until about 18 months that there is an apparent separation - 'me in here' and something else 'out there'. That is when paradise is lost - then paradise is sought.
Really there is no inside or outside. All that appears to be happening is simply just happening.

top topics

join