It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite underrated or overlooked movies/TV shows?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

It's all TV serials lately.

Taboo is outstanding. Gruesome, gripping and greally worth watching. Preacher has been my favourite show this year.

Off the beaten track is People of Earth about a support group for alien abductees. It's a weird comedy that's hard to define. First episode sets the tone and the rest of the series keeps a high standard. Also Detroiters has been good.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I felt that the Falling Skies TV series was underrated.

It was basically TWD but with aliens.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I forgot about Taboo! That's another brilliant dark and gritty show. Great visuals, awesome period show, definitely underrated.

Preacher is good too but I've read all the comics and I was kinda hoping for a straight up adaptation. The show has really gone off the rails from the source material but I still watch and enjoy it. Just don't understand why you wouldn't just use the source more accurately when it's so awesome.

Also forgot about Legion on FX. Another show I thought would be terrible, but turned out to be spectacular. The cinematography, the soundtrack, the show is actually beautiful at times.

About Legion quite possibly one of the THE strongest mutants in the xmen universe. Xavier's son, given to another family for his own protection, believes and is told his developing mental powers are really just symptoms of schizophrenia manifesting and he is hospitalized Ina mental institution for years until a huge catalyst and he begins to learn and explore his powers against and struggle against an amazing villain. From the guy who does Fargo the TV show and did Hannibal, but way better than either one. Way underrated.

youtu.be...

On Mobile so that link might looked f'd

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

Great! Thank you. Just bought season 3 of Rick and Morty!

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Sense 8

and

Occupied

Both on Netflix. Occupied is Finnish with English Subtitles - superb.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Really appreciate all the recommendations guys and gals!

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: CallmeRaskolnikov

I enjoyed Legion enough to start watching it again. At first I was distracted by the Fargo-style dialogue and acting then a mate told me it was made by the same people. Some of the scenes are amazingly good and the main cast are all very believable. Music, effects, plot all high class etc. Like the Fargo series, they squeeze in tour-de-force scenes with crazy tracking shots that blow adrenaline around the system. Nice to meet someone who gets it!

I knew nothing about Preacher so it's been 100% fresh. As soon as I saw Gilgun (Cass), I was all in for the duration; he was in a UK show called Misfits and stole many a scene. The 'Come on Eileen' scene early in S1 was brilliant. The one plot strand I don't enjoy is Cass' son which stalls the pace. The Hitler thing is subversively mischievous and highlights the rebellious humour of whoever wrote it.

Taboo was an unexpected treat. Although I rate Hardy highly, I thought he was beginning to go De Niro with a predictable range of voices and movements. He managed to stop doing it in Taboo and made a compelling character. I hope they don't flog the premise by stretching it into several series. I'm one of those who isn't interested in never ending serials - Breaking Bad got it right at five. TWD, on the other hand, went crap after their fifth - a soap opera with zombies.

Mr Mercedes has been very strong for the opening episodes...until I saw it's a 10-parter. Urgh. Eight more episodes of a psycho tormenting Gleeson's character doesn't appeal much and neither does the developing romance.

2018 promises to be yet another high-water mark for TV with more from Legion, Taboo, American Gods, Fargo, Preacher...

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

The Expanse is great, and if you haven't you need to see Stranger Things on Netflix, 10/10

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

There's one genre that I really like, but I never know how to phrase it. Sort of trapped in the woods or somewhere remote with killers on the loose. Make camping more fun.

Thanks!

Cabin in the Woods.

For TV? Farscape. Once it gets going it's a scifi treat.

To explain #1 their minds are all in others bodies. Crichton in Aeryn's in this case. You'll laugh. You'll cry. It'll become a part of you.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Farscape is great.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Yes! I'm completely on the same page. For Preacher the Cassidy character is one of the main draws for sure. The casting for that character is spot on. Never saw the other show you mentioned Misfits, but I would check it out if it's worth it. Preacher has turned out to be a really fun show, but as you mentioned there were some threads in the story I could've done without completely like Cassidy's sun, Tulip having Killing Saint PTSD. Even the whole soul selling/matching business. But, the casting for Herr Starr, spot on. Hilarious and vicious, amazing.

I agree that a good should should have a pre-conceived ending. Never ending shows always fail miserably in the end. I think that's part of what made Breaking Bad so amazing and I'm praying that they have done or will do a similar thing with Better Call Saul, which itself has really developed into something just as special as Breaking Bad in my opinion.

And they better do the same with Taboo. That show feels so raw and has so much potential. I hope they don't just drag it on without knowing where they're going. Tom Hardy is doing a great job with that character. Finally something different out of him for sure.

Would True Detective - Season 1 be considered underrated?

The first season of that show was so good. Never would have imaged I would love something that had Matthew Mcconaughey in it. But, the show was so dark, had so much feeling to it. The Louisiana backdrop and the soundtrack. Nice and wrapped up in one season, a neat little package and commenting on a real life issue that is one of the most sinister things around.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

I have to say, yes I did.

Each to their own, with regard to the actors and the pacing I guess. I liked that it had political elements, that they were not just off camera things that got referred to every now and again to explain what the hell was going on at ground level... I liked how all the plots and sub plots in the show were orbiting one another and intersecting with one another, and the slow drip of reconciliation of these plots into a cohesive whole. I think I would have felt the same way as you having just watched ONE episode, but having watched the entire first season, I found it an absolute delight. An awful lot of sci-fi these days is very shallow, in terms of the speed at which it lays out its wares, delves into its plots and so on. I liked the way this one refused to bow to public demand for an attention span appeasing visual spectacle, and forced itself to also provide some depth.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: CallmeRaskolnikov

At the time, True Detective was the best TV series I'd ever seen for dialogue, acting and characterisation. The interplay between the two leads was gripping wasn't it?

Speaking of dialogue, the scripts for TV series have shown massive improvements in the past 4-5 years. Something like Fargo could almost work as a radio play with the conversations and phrasing shining out. Legion's got it too and, yes, Breaking Bad can maybe take credit for reminding scriptwriters to reach the bar set by Twin Peaks. Then again my mind's recalling Cohen Bros and Irvine Welsh for bringing back the cool dialogue from films like Maltese Falcon too.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
i like most the series mentioned in this thread,
one worth mentioning is The Mentalist. hadnt seen it then gave it a go bout a month ago, got hooked marathoned all 7 seasons, great ride...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join