It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite underrated or overlooked movies/TV shows?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I just watched Popstar, and I hadn't ever heard of it. It had some great references, and had me laughing WAY more than I thought I was going to. I Google and I Google, and I keep running into the same lists over and over.

I pretty much zone out commercials, and since I don't watch live TV probably miss a ton of them. Every once in awhile I'll run across something that everyone else has seen, or at least has a cult following that I end up really enjoying.

I'm a fan of horror and comedy, but really anything good and different than the crappy top ten lists for the last few years would be appreciated. Not trying to be a hipster, I've just probably watched all the obvious hits (and avoided a few).

There's one genre that I really like, but I never know how to phrase it. Sort of trapped in the woods or somewhere remote with killers on the loose. Make camping more fun.

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Killjoys.

Its a show about space faring bounty hunters. Explosions, fist fights, political intrigue and society collapsing division all abound in this richly depicted setting.

Highly recommended, if you like some take your brain out, door kicking, face stomping, death defying, utterly ridiculous action, mixed with the sci-fi genre with a little espionage thrown in for good measure!

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

That sounds amazing! Completely forgot to say Sci-Fi was highly encouraged! I think I love you. REALLY hoping it's on Netflix, but I watched a preview and think I'm going to at least check out the first season. I'm trying to behave and whatnot for once.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Check Black Mirror if you haven't already. It's in my opinion best TV show these days.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Channel Zero. ? Its a SciFi channel program, kinda out there, kinda creepy...Season one is called Candle Cove. 6 episodes I think .
I think season 2 is starting soon, No End House.

If you like horror, and the stuff of nightmares, ( especially ones about teeth, no spoilers ) then this would be for you.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ewerfekt
Check Black Mirror if you haven't already. It's in my opinion best TV show these days.

Black Mirror is awesome !

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:55 AM
link   

There's one genre that I really like, but I never know how to phrase it. Sort of trapped in the woods or somewhere remote with killers on the loose. Make camping more fun.

Me too! In the film below, the killer in the woods is nature. It didn't seem to do well financially but, I thought it was a good movie (based on a true story) and the bear attack scene...well, it sort of made me look over my shoulder when camping or hiking in the woods for awhile after watching it.

Wikipedia quotes the critics consensus as

Tense, well-acted, and at once atmospheric as well as brutally impactful
and I would agree.
The scenery is breathtaking and her struggle to survive believable, IMO.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 05:05 AM
link   

I've watched some TV shows online but don't watch regular TV ever. I hate the commercials as well and I find the 30 second recap of what happened in the prior 15 minutes of the show every time you return from a commercial break to be annoying.

Movies I love to watch! A huge documentary fan (and Sci-FI). The only really awesome TV series that I've seen was called Westworld. It won't be back on air until 2018 I guess... but if you haven't seen the first season, it's worth the watch.

Other then that, I got nothing. Can't wait to see what others suggest though.

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I'm a bit of a sci-fi nut, The Event and Ascension were two of the best shows I can think of, both are short and The Event has my favorite ending to a TV series ever!

Brain Dead was another great one, more recent than the other two, it's a dark political sci-fi comedy, very silly, it made me think of ATS while I was watching it.

The Fargo tv series is fantastic, each season is its own story with its own characters.

If you like dark humor, It's always sunny in Philadelphia is amazingly twisted.
edit on 29-9-2017 by wheresthebody because: cant type before coffee...

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Also, check out The Expanse!

That is a DEEP show... puts one in mind of the directing style of Kubrick, and the writing is, in my opinion, a new measure of excellence in sci-fi television.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Have you seen Tucker and Dale Vs Evil?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

THAT FILM IS AMAZING!

I absolutely love it!
edit on 29-9-2017 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   
One small movie I keep beating the drum for is 'Take Shelter' starring Michael Shannon and written and directed by Jeff Nichols.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Keep them coming guys this thread is getting good.

You guys ever watch Penny Dreadful?

Dracula, wear wolf, Frankenstein and a few others in a beautifully crafted masterpiece. The acting is impeccable, the storyline is superb and the writing is legendary!

Too bad it's only three seasons!

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Also, check out The Expanse!

That is a DEEP show... puts one in mind of the directing style of Kubrick, and the writing is, in my opinion, a new measure of excellence in sci-fi television.

Hey, something we agree on! Just midway through the first season. Great show.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

That was a hell of a show!

Do you remember the scene where "The Monster" tears Proteus in twain? That was brutal!

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Well, there had to be something!

It is a fantastic show... Nearly no one that I know locally actually watches it, for some reason!

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:11 AM
link   
SPARTACUS!

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I'm re-watching Boardwalk Empire on HBO. If you like mafia movies, the show is great. Terrific casting, acting and beautiful period sets and clothing.

Movies? I could go on forever...

First few to come to mind:

American Graffiti
Dazed and Confused
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
Joe vs The Volcano
Blue Steel
The Rundown
Layer Cake
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Wow, this could be a long list....lol
I'll keep it as short as possible.
Movies first.

'Idiocrocy'doesn't get the respect it deserves.
"Welcome to Costco, I love you"

'Ink', it's a cool sci fi ish Indy film and it's on Netflix.

'Nick and Norah's infinite playlist'
I loved this movie for some reason.

'Death race 2000'
Funny as hell.

Now tv..

'Red dwarf
Ya smeg head!

'Corner gas'
A slice of Canadian heaven.

'The last airbender'
This cartoon is awesome and so well written.
The movie did it absolutely no justice.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join