It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Cured Pope Leaves Hospital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
After ten days in the hospital, Pope John Paul II has been declared "cured" of his bout with the flu. He has been released from the hospital, and returned to the Vatican. The Pope's upcoming schedule has still not been decided on, but should remain fairly slight.

www.foxnews.com
VATICAN CITY — Pope John Paul II left a Rome hospital in his white popemobile Thursday, 10 days after suffering breathing spasms that left him bedridden and rekindled debate about his ability to continue leading the Roman Catholic Church.

Under heavy security, the 84-year-old pope was bundled into the vehicle inside a covered entrance to Rome's Gemelli Polyclinic to shield him from the winter chill. Police sealed off St. Peter's Square to tourists, and hundreds of cheering Romans lined the route to the Vatican.

The pontiff waved to the crowds and blessed the faithful standing behind barriers along his route.

Earlier Thursday, the pope's spokesman said the pontiff had been "cured" of his breathing spasms and was ready to leave the hospital.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Pope John Paul II is not a well man. Regardless of what the Cardinals say, an 84 year old man with Parkinson's, arthritis, and poor overall health is not capable of running the Catholic Church.

There has been talk of Papal resignation, and I think the pope should consider it. A man such as himself should not have the sense of self importance that would prevent the pope from doing what is best for the church, and stepping aside.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I'm not Catholic, but the office and designation of Pope is a religious and spiritual post with a lot of political power. It's very nature suggests that a human can rise above the frailties of the flesh and the concerns of mundane politics, to act as a liason between God and the world. To resign and admit that earthly disease or aging can affect a man assigned by God for such an important task, diminishes the post a bit. Ideally, if God thinks the Pope can no longer perform the duties, then God will recall him. I think also the endurance of earthly conditions and attempting to surmount them while carrying the burden of the Church is also highly symbolic of sacrifice. For him to willingly resign or to bow out due to obvious or secular politics would greatly damage the office of Pope and the faith-based organization it represents.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
... the office and designation of Pope is a religious and spiritual post with a lot of political power. It's very nature suggests that a human can rise above the frailties of the flesh and the concerns of mundane politics, ...

This is exactly what I mean. The pope should not view himself as The Church, and should put the church above his own personal ambitions or wants. If his health has become an anchor around the church's neck, I would hope the man has enough sense left to realize that he is actually doing the church a dis-service.

And all of this is based on the assumption that the poor old man is still really in control. For all we known, the pope is being propped up by the Cardinals while they jockey for position behind him.

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
I think also the endurance of earthly conditions and attempting to surmount them while carrying the burden of the Church is also highly symbolic of sacrifice.

Would not giving up this most important of positions for the betterment of the church also be a tremendous sacrifice? And at the same time show the humility of the man. Considering yourself to be equal to a layman and choosing to do what's best for the church can be inspiratinal as well.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The Pope, especially JPII, is an inspiration for Catholics around the world. I think that's more important than any political power he may yield.

new topics

top topics

join