It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its official: China's J-20 is officially in active military service

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

China's latest J-20 stealth fighter has been officially commissioned into military service, according to Wu Qian, spokesperson for the Ministry of National Defense on Thursday.

The flight tests are being conducted as scheduled, Wu said at a press conference.

The J-20 is China's fourth-generation medium and long-range fighter jet. It made its maiden flight in 2011 and was first shown to the public at the 11th Airshow China in Zhuhai, Guangdong Province, in November last year

eng.mod.gov.cn...

Someone oopsed on the generations, but otherwise, yeah, the US monopoly on in service stealth fighters has been broken.

The future is in the building.

The USAF better hustle on the PCA/NGAD. And the Navy. Oh gawd, the navy.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

When it comes the attack won't be visible to radar anyway.

question

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Its going to be interesting to say the least, but nothing like competition to spur development.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

China's latest J-20 stealth fighter has been officially commissioned into military service, according to Wu Qian, spokesperson for the Ministry of National Defense on Thursday.

The flight tests are being conducted as scheduled, Wu said at a press conference.

The J-20 is China's fourth-generation medium and long-range fighter jet. It made its maiden flight in 2011 and was first shown to the public at the 11th Airshow China in Zhuhai, Guangdong Province, in November last year

eng.mod.gov.cn...

Someone oopsed on the generations, but otherwise, yeah, the US monopoly on in service stealth fighters has been broken.

The future is in the building.

The USAF better hustle on the PCA/NGAD. And the Navy. Oh gawd, the navy.

It could be fourth gen, we don't know how low observable it is plus possibly lacking all the other 'stuff' that makes it 5th gen. I imagine it has a larger radar cros section than a silent eagle.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

The J-20 and Su-57 are both lumped into either 4.5++ or 5th for their generation. Based on some of the Su-57 pics, it probably isn't much stealthier than an early F-117, and nowhere near VLO range.

The J-20 is harder to judge, but probably still isn't into VLO, but is probably stealthier, from some aspects, than the -57 is.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It seems like the J-20 could be early F-22 levels of stealthy from the frontal aspects (I guess the DSI's and the canards will cancel out in terms of RCS), while its low-observable performance from the rear could likely be even worse than the Su-57.

Here's to hoping that Abe keeps the money flowing into Mitsubishi and the F-3 can become a reality while we're still alive.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

The thinking is slightly lower than the YF-22 from the front, with the canards level, and almost non-stealthy from just about every other aspect.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
It's the new world order. We're witnessing history being made. And, it's just the beginning I'm afraid!

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Will PACAF be tracking them ?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

If they're close enough to be tracked, then yes. But it won't be easy.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

And such GREAT airmanship when they BUZZ us...

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The thinking is slightly lower than the YF-22 from the front, with the canards level, and almost non-stealthy from just about every other aspect.

I think your spot on. This bird is designed to go after force multiplier assets, not mix it up with F-22's So if the frontal aspect is stealthy is good enough

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
It's the new world order. We're witnessing history being made. And, it's just the beginning I'm afraid!

Not necessarily. They have to develop effective doctrine to use them.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

So, interceptor design? Because, yeah...

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

Not necessarily. They have to develop effective doctrine to use them.
Enter NK and a potential conflict to test them.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Most likely the sensor of a sensor/shooter pair.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123
Wondering how close to the border they get.?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha
... yeah, the US monopoly on in service stealth fighters has been broken.

Stealth is more than a public relations department, but if this type of propaganda keeps the Chinese population in check then that's what counts.

No one will ever know if the Chinese have produced a stealthy plane until it is tested.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

I've thought that myself, the J-20 reminds me a ton of the big old Soviet interceptors, a bit like a stealth Sukhoi Flagon or Tupolev Fiddler.
edit on 29-9-2017 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I'm of the 'interceptor' camp myself, but not religiously so.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join