It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'Apple' scam (Iphone etc)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Husband is still using his Samsung Note II, and I still have my little Samsung flip phone.

We have each replaced our batteries once. He has since had the replacement go bad, but it was under warranty, so it was replaced with full refund.

He is thinking about upgrading to the Note, but only because he wants to.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Don't upgrade to iOS11. All the new stuff puts more demands on the CPU and battery use. Thats why each new phone tends to get a faster processor.

You don't get Apple cause its cheap. You do for a myriad of other reasons but never because it was a bargain or anything. I don't think the high end Samsung phones are any better mind you with this
edit on 9/28/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: fusiondoe

Planned obsoleteness is a common business tactic. Why provide a lifetime product when you can keep milking your lifetime customers?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Planned obsoleteness is a common business tactic. Why provide a lifetime product when you can keep milking your lifetime customers?

Thats true, but flip phones still work. I still use my Iphone 5s, it is planned but we are complicit in it as well. Who doesn't covet a shiny new trinket?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

I'm still on the 5s and had it the year they were released (2013). Still charges (on charge almost every night due to usage as a self employed taxi driver), apps still work fine and never had an issue with it.

If I go by your reckoning, my phone should have died in 2014 as 300 charges would have lasted me less than a year.

Same here Galaxy S5, had it since it first came out and I use and recharge it a lot. I am on my 4th phone in about 18 years. Started off with a simple 2 line LCD display and some buttons, went to a Palm Treo then to Samsung Moment and now my S5, I would have kept my moment a little longer but it did not survive a trip in the lake.

I actually feel that the phones I have had were adequate in terms of balance between cost and longevity. One other thing to throw in there is that every phone I have had was one that my provider (Sprint) had allowed me to purchase for very little money upfront. Nowadays, the providers here are all seeming to charge a hefty sum for a phone purchase or lease to own plan. Before, it made sense for them to not want the equipment to fail as they were more invested in the upfront costs, now, you pretty much own the phone by the time you get a plan in place, perhaps this change in sales model allows them to care less about the product quality their customers receive.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
My uncle stopped using his old flip phone, only this year.

Poor guy thought his Android was an Apple until my mom told him.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
The thoughts of a Genius....This explains iPhone, drugs and doctors..

NSFW Language....

edit on 28-9-2017 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Never update your iphone... stick with the OS it comes with

only problem is you will be asked to update every single day...

interesting though, the new IphoneX apparently has the same specs as the galaxy 6

$1300 is a pretty price for nothing special lol

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Thats true, but flip phones still work. I still use my Iphone 5s, it is planned but we are complicit in it as well. Who doesn't covet a shiny new trinket?

People who can't afford shiny new stuff every month :-) aka ME

It doesn't even have to be something with cost. Why does iTunes or skype ask me to update every week and it always looks the same?

Don't fix if not broken.

edit on 28-9-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I am still using a note 3 atm and the battery is interchangeable. The new apples are nearly the same as the previous models and the X is barley diffrent than a 8 plus. Apples the bigest scam, the new Samsung is running twice the ram, SD card compatability and possibility of dual sims not to mention a myriad of capabilities apple does not have.

Never owned an Apple and never will, previously great marketing of a crap product.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

No.........wait a minute! I saw an ad on the Tube that if you buy a Sprint service plan, you get the new I Phone for $-0-; yea, you read that right.........0 as in nada!

Now don't tell me that's not an even BIGGER scam!

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Apple is a great product for non tech people.

Just picked up the new galaxy note 8. It is insanely fast, with unreal graphics.

Plus, you can install package disabler without rooting phone and disable all the spyware.

Try no root firewall, if you want to see how many computers your phone tries to communicates with,

it will give you a crash course in what these phones are actually designed for.

Crapple is building giant server farms as we speak to harvest your sole.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
For me apple had always been super reliable.

I found a old first generation iPod touch a few days ago when doing a clear out and it still worked.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

When my phone go to poop I go to consumers wireless and plop down $125 for a new MOTO.

All the phone envy is silly, stop playing into it.

I just picked up the new moto e4 recently, seemed like a good deal and it didn't come with a bunch of preloaded crap. Turns out though you can't mount the system partition to read/write or the phone won't boot anymore at all. I never realized just how many apps and other things I did on my old phone required that. There's a few people working on it but it seems kind of sketchy at the moment and not likely to have a fix any time soon. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a little more.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

You’re hooked---there’s no way out. You took the red pill

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

What did you upgrade from? I have been thinking about a Note 8 as I use my phone a Note 3 instead of a computer and I am always on it reading etc. The PeX capability looks good also. I am so tempted, it is just such a cost.
Sounds like your happy with it?
edit on 28-9-2017 by aliensanonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: aliensanonymous

I upgraded from the note 5, which still works. The only note 8 bug I have found is it won't work with the Flir 1 thermal camera, but may be a usb issue with the new upgraded style usb.

By far the best phone I have owned, it does everything I want. Ususally running split screen multiple apps at once like maps, gps speedometer, poweramp, and gps essentials when traveling. Can't bog the 8 core processor down.

There was some complaints about the Bixby hard button on the side thst opens the bixby app, similar to google search function. There are s3veral button remapper aps out there to handle this, or you can disable button on stock phone.
I mapped it to function as a hard "back" buttonon which is pretty handy.

It was a no brainer to upgrade for $80 through verizon with the pre order deal.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I came to that same conclusion about another device manufacturer several years ago. I didn't pay to download a new set of maps for my GPS, ignoring the warnings to update. Shortly thereafter in using the unit, I attempted to find three different addresses and each time I was taken in a large, several mile circle around my area. My "destination" each time was right back into my own driveway. I got the message.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

That's usually just a default of last known location when it can't locate a gps signal.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
My uncle stopped using his old flip phone, only this year.

Poor guy thought his Android was an Apple until my mom told him.

The new Samsung x is an apple product. Apple can’t make phones anymore 😂

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join