It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN chief: US Troops Kill Journalists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Apparently the CNN chief news executive Eason Jordan claimed at a conference in Switzerland that 12 of the 60 journalists killed in iraq have been deliberately targeted by the US military and he substantiated that charge with the illuminating claim that "there are people who believe there are people in the military" who have it out for journalists.

So here we have the chief of one of the most prestigious and widely watched news organizations in the world accusing the US troops of premeditated murder of civilians and when pressed to elaborate tried to backtrack a little and then moved on to the next question.

I had already ditched FNC as a reliable news source and now CNN will have to go as well so my question to you all is: Who can be Trusted?

www.opinionjournal.com...

easongate.com...

[edit on 10-2-2005 by transient]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Eason Jordan actually has retracted / changed those statements.

"To be clear, I do not believe the U.S. military is trying to kill journalists in Iraq. I said so during the forum panel discussion. But, nonetheless, the U.S. military has killed several journalists in Iraq in cases of mistaken identity. The reason the word "targeted" came up at all is because I was responding to a comment by Congressman Franks, who said he believed the 63 journalists killed in Iraq were the victims of "collateral damage." Since three of my CNN colleagues and many other journalists have been killed on purpose in Iraq, I disputed the "collateral damage" statement, saying, unfortunately, many journalists -- not all -- killed in Iraq were indeed targeted. When someone aims a gun at someone and pulls the trigger and then learns later the person fired at was actually a journalist, an apology is ppropriate and is accepted, and I believe those apologies to be genuine. But such a killing is a tragic case of mistaken identity, not a case of "collateral damage." That is the distinction I was trying to make even if I did not make it clearly at the time. Further, I have worked closely with the U.S. military for months in an effort to achieve a mutual goal: keeping journalists in Iraq safe and alive."

Here is a link to Carol Platt Liebau

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012

many journalists -- not all -- killed in Iraq were indeed targeted.

Doesnt sound like much of a retraction to me....

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
i had given up on FNC and CNN long ago, and switched over to MSNBC.

*shrug* lesser of 3 evils i guess...

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

When someone aims a gun at someone and pulls the trigger and then learns later the person fired at was actually a journalist, an apology is appropriate and is accepted, and I believe those apologies to be genuine. But such a killing is a tragic case of mistaken identity, not a case of "collateral damage." That is the distinction I was trying to make even if I did not make it clearly at the time. Further, I have worked closely with the U.S. military for months in an effort to achieve a mutual goal: keeping journalists in Iraq safe and alive."

In other words, just the position of having a gun pointed and fired (even if it is mistaken) is being targeted.
At the begining of his response he states clearly, that

"To be clear, I do not believe the U.S. military is trying to kill journalists in Iraq."

top topics

join