It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'd Guess maybe 5 Percent of those who watch the NFL stand for the Anthem. The hypocrisy is HUGE

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: soberbacchus

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus
We will see if the OP also believes the fans should show solidarity with the players.

Wouldn't that depend on the particular Fans?

Asking fans to kneel or lock arms or anything else is the same as asking people to stand and cover their hearts.

Let people do as they do. No mandated, fake patriotism. To each their own.
That is the American way.
No it is NOT the same as one is a national tradition of respect and the other is based on an SJW expectation of protest against said tradition. By the way the NFZl has rules ...a few years back a woman tried to sue Disney to allow her to wear certain head coverings even though she signed the waiver at her hiring regarding Disney rules of attire. Disney does have strict rules, but it is ones option to not. Enhired by this employer. Remember people who are hired by Disney must wear odd uniforms like Pirate outfits or Minnie costumes .....
edit on 28-9-2017 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Assuming the players and or team as a whole it select pkayers in multiples of over one.

They didn't ask them to kneel for obvious reasons. They did ask them to link arms. I think they need to just let it go - or the NFL needs to go back to how it used to be in the NFL. Which is - the players wait in the tunnel while the anthem is being played, then they come out. That is probably the best solution, will stop hurt feelings from players, and stop Trump from getting involved in things he has no business getting into. Then he can concentrate on the other little things like.. natural disaster recovery and running the country.
edit on 28-9-2017 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

We will see if the OP also believes the fans should show solidarity with the players.

Asking fans to kneel or lock arms or anything else is the same as asking people to stand and cover their hearts.

No it is NOT the same as one is a national tradition of respect and the other is based on an SJW expectation of protest against said tradition.

Hmmm...

So you would DEMAND that everyone stand with hand over heart during the anthem?

Have you ever seen parades in North Korea?

Not interested.

Political Protesting is as American as Apple Pie..Hell, it's how America was born.

Eff anyone that DEMANDS displays of blind allegiance.

That was Hitler's gig..That is North Korea's thing..

Here is a pic for you..

91 Year old WW2 vet Kneeling in Solidarity with the Players.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
THEY aren't PAID to entertain us, like these childish JOCKS.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: tjack

So which argument is the OP's post a straw man argument for?

You do realize how that works, right? Someone makes an argument, it's restated into a weaker argument (the straw man) and then defeated.

So who had the original argument? Or were you too busy offering critiques of other posters to note that?

I think I have a pretty good idea, paraphrasing a bit, Patriotic people say "Everybody should stand for the National Anthem", OP says "folks don't stand for it at home so they must be total hypocrites" attempt to defeat the intent of the people saying not standing for the anthem is wrong with arguments based on fallacy ensues.

I may be a little loose with the textbook definition but please, continue deflecting from the FACT that per US flag code it's ok to not rise when one is not present. That's the discussion. Not whether or not tjack knows his grammar definitions inside and out. That's probably another straw man argument. Or whatever term makes you happy.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: tjack

I may be a little loose with the textbook definition but please, continue deflecting from the FACT that per US flag code it's ok to not rise when one is not present.

Don't be silly.

You are "present" in your living room.

Does the anthem count whilst played on a radio? a Record player? A digital recording broadcast?

How does the anthem differ coming from a television vs. recording in a stadium.

Are you not "present" where the anthem is heard, be it living room or stadium?

Is "presence" only achieved during live performances? Many a military event or funeral would seem to disprove that thought.

Ho can one cease being present during the national anthem while listening to the national anthem?

edit on 28-9-2017 by soberbacchus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I may be a little loose with the textbook definition but please, continue deflecting from the FACT that per US flag code it's ok to not rise when one is not present.

Don't be silly.

You are "present" in your living room.

Does the anthem count whilst played on a radio? a Record player? A digital recording broadcast?

How does the anthem differ coming from a television vs. recording in a stadium.

Are you not "present" where the anthem is heard, be it living room or stadium?

Ho can one cease being present during the national anthem while listening to the national anthem?

Silly would be pretending I was present at the last 10 Superbowls when actually I was simply at home watching them on TV.

Are we to now argue the definition of the word "present"?

Premise of the OP is a fallacy.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

You do realize how that works, right? Someone makes an argument, it's restated into a weaker argument (the straw man) and then defeated.

So who had the original argument? Or were you too busy offering critiques of other posters to note that?

I think I have a pretty good idea, paraphrasing a bit, Patriotic people say "Everybody should stand for the National Anthem", OP says "folks don't stand for it at home so they must be total hypocrites" attempt to defeat the intent of the people saying not standing for the anthem is wrong with arguments based on fallacy ensues.

I may be a little loose with the textbook definition but please, continue deflecting from the FACT that per US flag code it's ok to not rise when one is not present. That's the discussion. Not whether or not tjack knows his grammar definitions inside and out. That's probably another straw man argument. Or whatever term makes you happy.

Per flag code, one is not allowed to use the American flag as clothing attire.

Where's the outrage regarding "millionaire celebrities," using the American flag as panchos?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

It was all burnt out in the 60s with hippies,they SEWED the flag to their butt pockets ...it was amusing but NO ONE denied the country JUST the way the government was operating, it was to halt an illegal war at the time as well.
Not a HANDFUL of trigger HAPPY reactionary COPS,mostly killing thugs anyway,GOOD riddance.
edit on 28-9-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc
a reply to: ColoradoJens

www.law.cornell.edu...

Not supposed to stand at home, “all person PRESENT” meaning if you are actually at the event, not watching it on TV.

Educate? These tools just want to masticate. And they sure as hell don't want to know just how wrong they are, that would really make them angry.

But it sure is fun to watch.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: soberbacchus

If a funeral procession is driving past while you're in your home do you take off your hat and stand at attention, or do you when you're outside in view to show them respect?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

Per flag code, one is not allowed to use the American flag as clothing attire.

Where's the outrage regarding "millionaire celebrities," using the American flag as panchos?

I know. Even stylized representations of the flag aren't too be used but it still happens all the time.

I always notice but I'm not personally outraged by any of it, because most people don't know all the particulars and culturally, modern America is pretty lax about that subtlety.

I'm just here to point out that calling people hypocrites for not standing at home is not correct, per the code, and anyone maintaining that they are hypocrites for not standing at home is either truly ignorant, or willfully ignorant and just trying to fan the flames.

Do we still deny ignorance here or not?

Or do we simply argue with each other because we're on different sides, facts be damned?

Because if it's the latter I'm not interested.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

No it is NOT the same as one is a national tradition of respect and the other is based on an SJW expectation of protest against said tradition.

Hmmm...

So you would DEMAND that everyone stand with hand over heart during the anthem?

Have you ever seen parades in North Korea?

Not interested.

Political Protesting is as American as Apple Pie..Hell, it's how America was born.

Eff anyone that DEMANDS displays of blind allegiance.

That was Hitler's gig..That is North Korea's thing..

Here is a pic for you..

91 Year old WW2 vet Kneeling in Solidarity with the Players.

1. Source of pic? How to we know he's kneeling in solidarity with the players?
2. Even if he is kneeling in "solidarity of the players", he is not disrespecting the flag in this pic. I have no issue with this.
3. The US flag code only suggests that we SHOULD stand for the anthem, not that we MUST or SHALL stand. This does not make it MANDATORY.
4. Federally protected free speech is not extended to private organizations or companies. Now you are into state and case law.

Trump, while I think he really has his heart in the right place, has a very awkward way of expressing it sometime. I don't want to second-guess his intentions, but he does like to wave the banner of nationalism. He's very prideful of this country and thinks all of us should show her some respect.

The initial reason Kaepernick did this was...who knows. But, there are signs that his girlfriend has had a strong influence on him, and why his social justice ways took off. Why it took a year for his teammate to give an explanation for last year's knee is beyond me.

Personally, I think he's en entitled brat who was looking for attention and this was just one more way to get that across. Unfortunately, Trump's assertion that players stand or be fired was a little over the top. And, the NFL is responding in kind.

Bottom line is this scatology needs to stop. All one had to do is read any of the political forums on this site to get a sense of how deep the divide is in this country. Not everyone in the past was a slave owner or a racist or whatever else is deemed the most horrific thing of the day. We had/have good people in this country. We don't want to become a nation where everyone is afraid to say or do anything because of the repercussions.

But listening to those on the left...you would think they actually want further division. Maybe that's what fill up their campaign coffers...fear....anger....distrust....hatred.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

End of the day it's just a game, kneel, stand, do whatever you wish.

But don't moan at people for making a choice.
edit on 28-9-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.net...

In keeping with the spirit of the thread.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU0408
a reply to: Gryphon66

Ever seen a Beret take a knee during the National Anthem?

Why don't you tell the next one you see that presenting a Flag to a Gold Star family, and so honoring them, is disrespectful.

Why? These guys aren't kneeling to hand a flag over to honor family. This is about the National Anthem, and you've never, nor will you ever, see a Green Beret kneeling during the National Anthem. You're talking about two completely different things and trying to relate them and it doesn't work that way.

I guarantee you that after he handed that flag to the family member of the fallen soldier, he stood up and saluted that flag he'd just handed her. I was sitting right beside my grandmother when she received a flag for my Uncle who served in the Marines.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: Gryphon66

www.redstate.com...

You have every right to kneel during the National Anthem if you want, but sponsors have every right to withdraw their support if they choose as well.

want to see more
they are there

Well, jeez, if redstate.com says so ... the NFL should just put the stadiums on the market and sell the jock-straps.

yep
and 538 predicted a hillary win last november as well

Correct... On the day of the election, Trump had an 8% chance to win.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Cultural Marxists are surprised that disrespecting their country and it's culture and those who died so they can act like idiots are surprised?

Not much left to prove our educational system needs an overhaul.......

You didn't answer the question

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

No it is NOT the same as one is a national tradition of respect and the other is based on an SJW expectation of protest against said tradition. By the way the NFZl has rules ...a few years back a woman tried to sue Disney to allow her to wear certain head coverings even though she signed the waiver at her hiring regarding Disney rules of attire. Disney does have strict rules, but it is ones option to not. Enhired by this employer. Remember people who are hired by Disney must wear odd uniforms like Pirate outfits or Minnie costumes .....

Oh you mean That company that was loved by Nazis?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Well, address what I said rather than what you want to say if you expect discussion from me. The matter here is of appropriate respect. You as many seem to want to dictate to others how they show respect, not that uncommon among garden-variety right-wingers as most haven't advanced far beyond simple core authoritarianism.

To take a knee is to show respect, in one of the most solemn possible times in my example. Kaepernick discussed it with a Green Beret and decided on this approach to a way to show respect and make a statement.

If you don't like it ... or think it's a respectful gesture, so what? For some, it is, with valid precedence.
edit on 28-9-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join