It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'd Guess maybe 5 Percent of those who watch the NFL stand for the Anthem. The hypocrisy is HUGE

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ColoradoJens

As a civilian, you might not know the rules regarding the flag, and the Anthem, or in the case of the military, the opening and closing of the day. If you are outside, you stand at attention and salute if you are in uniform, or hold your hand over your heart if in civilian cloths, but still stand at attention. If you are INSIDE, you don't. It also why you salute while outside to an officer who ranks higher than you, but you don't do it inside, while in uniform, unless you are asked to stand in front of a committee.

So while your question brings a possible angle of hippocricy, it's incorrect unless those who would be watching the game during the anthem were outside.

but kudos for the faux outrage, it was very convincing.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 05:49 AM
link   

I bet only a few NFL fans can even name ten US senators.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: disconnected8
You Americans are such curious folk. The only other countries in the world that would play national anthem at every opportunity possible and get so worked up if they felt someone wasnt respecting it are despot tyrant run communist states. Land of the free. Don't make me laugh. I don't think you guys realise how ridiclous your looking at the moment to the rest of world.

False. I'm a fan of Rugby as well. Go get educated. Watch some Six Nations and see what happens.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: SudoNim
a reply to: butcherguy

Not really... since the OP openly stated it was a "guess" and not a fact.

But nice try... find another way to avoid answering the obvious questions and hypocrisy.

Yesterday, in a different thread, one of the posters on this thread called me out for not backing my claim with numbers.
I had made no claim.
Then the poster said that I was supporting 'a claim'.

When there is a war movie on television... do you duck behind the couch to take cover?

edit on b000000302017-09-28T07:01:18-05:0007America/ChicagoThu, 28 Sep 2017 07:01:18 -0500700000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Good point. There's an underlying reason why there's so much outrage over this whole kneeling thing.

To bury the real issue, police brutality?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

That's because we're in the basket of deplorables.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Why not point to real hypocrites?

Where were the kneeling NFL players when Kelly Thomas was murdered by police officers and they walked away scot free?

Kelly Thomas wasn't black.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Why not point to real hypocrites?

Where were the kneeling NFL players when Kelly Thomas was murdered by police officers and they walked away scot free?

Kelly Thomas wasn't black.

Keep up with the liberal script. Only Black Lives Matter.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I do not stand when I am at home; I would though if I were physically present at the opening ceremony.

Proper "etiquette" says if the anthem is played, I should stand facing the direction the audio comes from with my hand over my heart.

What the players are doing in the NFL is in poor taste; but in the eyes of the law and constitution, it's like having someone over to your house with bad table manners. It's your decision to invite them back into your home. Personally, I quit watching the NFL before this as I can't stand Goodell and his inconsistencies.

It's going to come down to, will people be willing to tune in again when all of this is over? Only time will tell. Look at what happened to baseball after the players strike in the 90's.
edit on 28-9-2017 by hitparader because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Some people cannot stand during the playing of a National Anthem, due to them being disabled.

Do you frown upon those people ?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
A moment of silence. Please have some respect.

At least she's not kneeling.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Hmmm ... well, whoever that was in that thread you're whining about had a point.

If you chime in on an unsupported claim of fact and argue for it, you're just as responsible for the evidence when asked for it.

Is this a complicated concept for you?

We all have the rights to post our opinions here, in fact, that's a great deal of what most people do. There's very little actual debate or informed discussion going on.

There's a difference, however, when an opinion is claimed to be factual; the fundamental concept of "burden of proof" applies.

Glad I could help out in your future interactions with whomever it was from that "other thread."

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens
This manufactured outrage is so sad, it exposes so much hypocrisy.

The majority of people watch the game on TV. How many of you who are so outraged stand, take off your hat, and put your hand over your heart in your living room when it is played? I'd say a small minority.

If the anthem is not played on TV, are you outraged and feel the need to contact the TV networks? Are you angry when the anthem is not played at a concert or a play? Is your outrage selective like that?

I've been around a lot of football fans, both sides of the political spectrum and in 25 years have never once seen someone stand unless they are at the game. And at the game you'll notice a lot of empty seats as fans use the time to get beer and food and go to the bathroom.

Bars? Never. Even for the Super Bowl - usually people say like "Come ON! Get on with it! This is too taking too long!"

People really do like the war planes that fly over, and they love the Navy parachute guys, I'll say that.

But seriously, have you been doing your civic duty and been standing for the anthem, say when you are out shopping and the game is on tv at best buy? Do you report the employees that keep selling TV's during the Anthem? Why not? SHouldn't they be fired for ignoring it?

Do you stand in your home? If no, you need to look in a mirror and ask why you are such a blatant liar with your feelings. That is unless you never thought about it before, which I would surmise comprises 90% of you or more.

Great, another post with made up statistics and zero logic. Just what ATS needed!

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

Let's be honest ... only a few Americans can do that; it's not just limited to NFL fans.

Roberts, Schumer, Corker, Moran, McCaskill, Harris, Paul, Flake, McCain, Graham ... all you have to do is pay attention to the news. SCOTUS is harder to name: Kennedy, Breyer, Sotomayor, Kagan, Ginsburg, Alito, Roberts, Thomas, and the new guy.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   
It is interesting how some people are doing everything they can to discredit those upset by the protest and essentially say they should shut up... like Freedom of Speech does not apply to them since they are against the protest.

Thats not the way it works people, Freedom of speech is for all speech, or it does not exist period.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Let me guess; you don't stand when you're listening to the Anthem at home, either, do ya?

How shameful and unpatriotic!

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

originally posted by: ColoradoJens
This manufactured outrage is so sad, it exposes so much hypocrisy.

The majority of people watch the game on TV. How many of you who are so outraged stand, take off your hat, and put your hand over your heart in your living room when it is played? I'd say a small minority.

If the anthem is not played on TV, are you outraged and feel the need to contact the TV networks? Are you angry when the anthem is not played at a concert or a play? Is your outrage selective like that?

I've been around a lot of football fans, both sides of the political spectrum and in 25 years have never once seen someone stand unless they are at the game. And at the game you'll notice a lot of empty seats as fans use the time to get beer and food and go to the bathroom.

Bars? Never. Even for the Super Bowl - usually people say like "Come ON! Get on with it! This is too taking too long!"

People really do like the war planes that fly over, and they love the Navy parachute guys, I'll say that.

But seriously, have you been doing your civic duty and been standing for the anthem, say when you are out shopping and the game is on tv at best buy? Do you report the employees that keep selling TV's during the Anthem? Why not? SHouldn't they be fired for ignoring it?

Do you stand in your home? If no, you need to look in a mirror and ask why you are such a blatant liar with your feelings. That is unless you never thought about it before, which I would surmise comprises 90% of you or more.

Great, another post with made up statistics and zero logic. Just what ATS needed!

I made a guess - where are any statistics to back up my guess? According to this OP there have been about 5 people out of 100 who said they stand for the anthem if not at the game. I'd say I was curiously close to being spot on.

link   
let me lay waste to the absurd premise of this post.

time and place

ok?

the OPs line of reasoning is flawed. According to him even if youre walking down the street and you hear someone whistling the anthem you should stop whatever youre doing and stand with your hand on your heart.

this kind of profound lack of common sense is whats wrong with this country

link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
It is interesting how some people are doing everything they can to discredit those upset by the protest and essentially say they should shut up... like Freedom of Speech does not apply to them since they are against the protest.

Thats not the way it works people, Freedom of speech is for all speech, or it does not exist period.

... and those who are in support of the criticisms against the players ... these people aren't discrediting those who feel differently?

Hmmm... seems to be a chicken/egg problem, eh?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: tribal
let me lay waste to the absurd premise of this post.

time and place

ok?

the OPs line of reasoning is flawed. According to him even if youre walking down the street and you hear someone whistling the anthem you should stop whatever youre doing and stand with your hand on your heart.

this kind of profound lack of common sense is whats wrong with this country

I agree with you that there's a lack of common sense on display here ... if it is a sacred duty to stand at attention hand over heart when the Anthem is played, where you are when that happens doesn't matter. Even at home you are "participating in the ceremony honoring our veterans and hallowed dead" right?

What the OP does is point out the rampant and rapid hysterical hypocrisy on display here.

new topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join