It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'd Guess maybe 5 Percent of those who watch the NFL stand for the Anthem. The hypocrisy is HUGE

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Now the way you choose to position your body should have consequences apparently. Yay progress!

link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

a reply to: ColoradoJens

It’s about doing it with others. The national anthem, and standing for it, is the last customary gesture that binds all the people of the country together. It’s simple etiquette.

So why don't people do it together at bars and homes?

Because they are not where the anthem is being played.

The anthem is being played on TVs.
The point is the fake outrage. If people are so outraged about the players not standing then why are they not doing it at bars and homes? Isn't that being disrespectful to the flag?

No.

In the same way the players were not being disrespectful to the flag.

Is masturbating to the Flag being disrespectful? Some people probably do that, you know. I bet there are people who even masturbate with Old Glory wrapped around da pole.

Good lord. No need to project.

I permission needed? My God..What happened to "free speech" in this country?!

Go for it. Keep telling us what else may be happening with flags and naked people.

link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

The law has no teeth but ... 36 US Code § 301 .

This section also makes the oak our national tree and the rose our national flower emblem.
edit on 27-9-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Link

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I don't think anyone is against your right to disagree, we're just against people wanting to punish those who exercise their God given rights.

the thing is you have the right to act like a fool and do stupid stuff, just like we have a right to then cut your foolishness out of our life. boycotting a product that u dont agree with is a right and that is lost on so many these days. the old phrase "actions have consequences" comes to mind. remember when the cake makers wouldnt make a wedding cake for a gay couple and everyone was clamoring for people to boycott them? the hypocrisy these days is hilarious. for me this hasent changed my position on the nfl in anyway. i stopped watching years ago during a patriot game when a player missed blocking a punt by about 1 inch then grazed the kickers leg and was called for roughing the kicker which gave the kicking team an automatic first down and changed the entire outcome of the game.
edit on 27-9-2017 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-9-2017 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Could someone show me the US law that requires someone to stand indoors during the playing of the national anthem?

Could someone show me the US law that requires someone to stand outdoors during the playin of the National Anthem?

36 U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem

US Code
Notes

prev | next

(a)Designation.—
The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A)
individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;

(B)
members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and

(C)
all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

(2)
when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

(Pub. L. 105–225, Aug. 12, 1998, 112 Stat. 1263; Pub. L. 110–417, [div. A], title V, § 595, Oct. 14, 2008, 122 Stat. 4475.)

www.law.cornell.edu...

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iscool

This manufactured outrage is so sad, it exposes so much hypocrisy.

The majority of people watch the game on TV. How many of you who are so outraged stand, take off your hat, and put your hand over your heart in your living room when it is played? I'd say a small minority.

If the anthem is not played on TV, are you outraged and feel the need to contact the TV networks? Are you angry when the anthem is not played at a concert or a play? Is your outrage selective like that?

I've been around a lot of football fans, both sides of the political spectrum and in 25 years have never once seen someone stand unless they are at the game. And at the game you'll notice a lot of empty seats as fans use the time to get beer and food and go to the bathroom.

Bars? Never. Even for the Super Bowl - usually people say like "Come ON! Get on with it! This is too taking too long!"

People really do like the war planes that fly over, and they love the Navy parachute guys, I'll say that.

But seriously, have you been doing your civic duty and been standing for the anthem, say when you are out shopping and the game is on tv at best buy? Do you report the employees that keep selling TV's during the Anthem? Why not? SHouldn't they be fired for ignoring it?

Do you stand in your home? If no, you need to look in a mirror and ask why you are such a blatant liar with your feelings. That is unless you never thought about it before, which I would surmise comprises 90% of you or more.
And you probably think you have a legitimate beef...When you see all those people at the bars or the grocery stores get down on a knee when they hear the Star Spangled Banner being played on tv in protest of our Country, c'mon back...Until then, you're just wasting bandwidth...

Ah, so because no one cares to stand everyone has to kneel? Ok.

link   

a reply to: MysticPearl

If they really cared about free speech, they would support our right to disagree with the football players taking the knee.

I think that your point about the outrage of the outrage of the outrage still stands. People kneed because they were outraged at Trump being outraged and now people are outraged that they were outraged. Finally we get a call of hypocrisy from the guys who were already outraged. It sound like twitter physics.

link   

POST REMOVED BY STAFF.

That's why these type of discussions go on, and on, and on... There's no ONE right answer. It's "to each his own". On this issue, it's up to the employer to determine what the players can/can not do, while on the clock.

edit on Wed Sep 27 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Now the way you choose to position your body should have consequences apparently. Yay progress!

I'm glad that everyone is finally for free speech at least!

link   
If you require books and laws to tell yourself how to conduct yourselves in public, all is already lost.

link   
A moment of silence. Please have some respect.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Do tell. Until last week it would have never occurred to me to stand in my living room for the national anthem.

Did it ever occur to you to kneel?

Just like for 99% of everyone here.

I can't discount the percentage.

Were you gnashing with the thought, oh man, what if that camera on my TV is watching me and I'm not standing?

No. Do you?

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   

"should" versus "must" or "under penalty of law"

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: yadda333

originally posted by: yadda333

I'd say many of the players in the NFL are very equipped to have the discussion.

Most of the general population is not well equipped to have this discussion. Taking a few undergrad classes in race and gender studies, postcolonialism, etc does not mean you are well equipped.

And maybe that's the problem: A small amount of education and a whole lotta misapplication.

Well, I'd say growing up in extreme poverty as a black man gives them insight you or I may not have.

Interesting how you just put all of them in a nice, tidy little box. What gives you the right to assume that the black protesters grew up in poverty? And what about the other protesters?

Since when did humans lose their right to be an individual and have a unique, individual perspective?

This is the problem. There's not enough critical thinking going on.

Er, ok. You do realize that most nil players are black, right? You do realize that most of them grew up poor right?
So that gives them perspective. The best part, as said by several of the white players, is that an NFL locker room is WAY more inclusive than the outside world. They understand why they are protesting, and even if they don't agree with their stance they support them. Weird, right?

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

A moment of silence. Please have some respect.

Yep. That's all I have to say to that.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

It's not required for an image of the flag. Being as the flag isn't presentry and on television your should not stand. Be the same as a picture of the flag is not supposed to garner any respect. In fact one step further your not supposed to have it on anything you throw away. Means all those plastic table clothes on the forth are shall we say disrespectful.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

That doesn't specify whether indoor or outdoor though. If you read the law as it is written then everyone in line at the concession stand or walking around the stadium during the anthem are criminals. We'd have a lot of people in jail if that was actually enforced.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

a reply to: MysticPearl

If they really cared about free speech, they would support our right to disagree with the football players taking the knee.

Who doesn't?

Do you not support our right to disagree with your disagreement?

I haven't tried to silence you nor to change your view with inane threads pointing out your hypocrisy.

... and I’ve done that to you?

link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

"should" versus "must" or "under penalty of law"

If you require books and laws to tell yourself how to conduct yourselves in public, all is already lost.

link   

That doesn't specify whether indoor or outdoor though. If you read the law as it is written then everyone in line at the concession stand or walking around the stadium during the anthem are criminals. We'd have a lot of people in jail if that was actually enforced.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join