It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'd Guess maybe 5 Percent of those who watch the NFL stand for the Anthem. The hypocrisy is HUGE

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

originally posted by: TheScale

originally posted by: MysticPearl

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: Nyiah

a reply to: Nyiah

Because the are in public with a large group of their fellow citizens.

But a packed sports bar is not a large group of their fellow citizens and thus no ritual warranted.

You folks make zero sense, it;s obvious flag & anthem etiquette necessity is HIGHLY subjective to you. You just won't admit it.

But it is etiquette. That’s the point, no matter what anyone thinks of the flag.

Would you take your shoes off at the Taj Mahal, even though you weren’t Muslim nor Indian?

It is selectively applied etiquette. If it's not necessary for a packed bar to display the etiquette, then you must concede it's not necessary elsewhere large groups of citizens have congregated. You are arguing that the etiquette is unconditional while giving solid examples that it is indeed conditional.
Make up your mind.

If others in the bar started standing and singing the national anthem, you’d be a buzz kill and not take part? What a buzz-kill.

You've avoided what I've pointed out quite well, kudos to the sidestepping attempt. You argue people must do so in a group setting, but bars don't count. If bars do not count, then why should anyone participate and why would anyone care if I did or didn't?

I also said it was etiquette and civic custom, something you’ve sidestepped.

But you said bars & the like don't count because:

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

a reply to: ColoradoJens

It’s about doing it with others. The national anthem, and standing for it, is the last customary gesture that binds all the people of the country together. It’s simple etiquette.

So why don't people do it together at bars and homes?

Because they are not where the anthem is being played.

By your own admission, they're not where it's being played, so etiquette and civic customs are completely conditional. Or, in plain English, optional.

I was trying to explain the etiquette and custom part, something I still don’t think you understand. When we’re at sporting event, the anthem is being played and people are taking their hats off, we join them in that custom out of respect. It is also a good time to reflect on the lives lost in order to defend the country, and to honor them.

Even if you didn't take your hat off out of respect, there's a difference between passive non-participation and intentional protest and disrespect against.

That's too complicated for the OP though.

Is it? How about you? Do you stand in your home during the national anthem? What is the difference between "passive non-participation" and "intentional Protest" and why are you angry with our constitution? Selective outrage indeed.

if your looking for an actual comparison it would be akin to turning the tv off when the anthem comes on.

Everyone has a different take on it. Cool how our country works. Except when the selective outrage comes pouring out.

youve allready said that, try again

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
It’s just football anyways. You guys need hockey in your life. In hockey we stand for all anthems.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen
Meanwhile, someone's probably getting brutally murdered or raped, world domination, disasters and generally a whole bunch of bad stuff.

O and people getting rich.

Exactly. Funny the President's Tweets started going off the charts as soon as the Obamacare repeal fell flat. Funny how people can't see the pattern of the Pres' tweets - typically set to take away dialog from what is really happening.

link   

But a packed sports bar is not a large group of their fellow citizens and thus no ritual warranted.

You folks make zero sense, it;s obvious flag & anthem etiquette necessity is HIGHLY subjective to you. You just won't admit it.

But it is etiquette. That’s the point, no matter what anyone thinks of the flag.

Would you take your shoes off at the Taj Mahal, even though you weren’t Muslim nor Indian?

It is selectively applied etiquette. If it's not necessary for a packed bar to display the etiquette, then you must concede it's not necessary elsewhere large groups of citizens have congregated. You are arguing that the etiquette is unconditional while giving solid examples that it is indeed conditional.
Make up your mind.

If others in the bar started standing and singing the national anthem, you’d be a buzz kill and not take part? What a buzz-kill.

You've avoided what I've pointed out quite well, kudos to the sidestepping attempt. You argue people must do so in a group setting, but bars don't count. If bars do not count, then why should anyone participate and why would anyone care if I did or didn't?

It’s about doing it with others. The national anthem, and standing for it, is the last customary gesture that binds all the people of the country together. It’s simple etiquette.

By your own admission, they're not where it's being played, so etiquette and civic customs are completely conditional. Or, in plain English, optional.

I was trying to explain the etiquette and custom part, something I still don’t think you understand. When we’re at sporting event, the anthem is being played and people are taking their hats off, we join them in that custom out of respect. It is also a good time to reflect on the lives lost in order to defend the country, and to honor them.

Even if you didn't take your hat off out of respect, there's a difference between passive non-participation and intentional protest and disrespect against.

Is it? How about you? Do you stand in your home during the national anthem? What is the difference between "passive non-participation" and "intentional Protest" and why are you angry with our constitution? Selective outrage indeed.

if your looking for an actual comparison it would be akin to turning the tv off when the anthem comes on.

Everyone has a different take on it. Cool how our country works. Except when the selective outrage comes pouring out.

Try what again?

link   
Since the kneel is meant as a protest I would imagine they only do it in public. Maybe a few practice kneels at home or locker room.

link   

It’s just football anyways. You guys need hockey in your life. In hockey we stand for all anthems.

After the liberals get done with trying to kill football, hockey will be next.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I thought we already went over this, I don't think you're racist so I have no reason to call you that.

So you're ok with people being punished for exercising their freedom of expression?

link   

And for the toothless wonders.

link   

originally posted by: c2oden

Ah, yeah. Libs and stuff trying to kill football. So most of the people returning their tickets and flooding the boards about the "baby millionaires" silent protest are Libs? Hmmm. Weird.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

You did it again.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: seeker1963

I thought we already went over this, I don't think you're racist so I have no reason to call you that.

So you're ok with people being punished for exercising their freedom of expression?

Especially when they themselves follow their own "code" when it comes to the anthem.

But you know, their stance is right, because...I said so? And your stance is wrong because, I said so?
edit on 27-9-2017 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I'm just tired of politics eating up all of my entertainment outlets. I just want useless pregame commentary, not a deep sociopolitical discussion that neither the broadcasters nor players are equipped to have. It has become annoying.

You begin to lose both the message and the audience when you become annoying.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Make up your mind.

Try what again?

actually coming to a conclusion that makes any sense at all. by denying that people respect the anthem our flag, and the values they stand for, your just holding yourself back from coming to a legitimate conclusion. if u want to see some real selective outrage then look to the media who somehow get the lemmings whipped into a frenzy with the slightest nudge
edit on 27-9-2017 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: yadda333

I'm just tired of politics eating up all of my entertainment outlets. I just want useless pregame commentary, not a deep sociopolitical discussion that neither the broadcasters nor players are equipped to have. It has become annoying.

You begin to lose both the message and the audience when you become annoying.

I agree with your first sentence. This became a huge issue once Trump got involved. I'd say many of the players in the NFL are very equipped to have the discussion.

Also, just a side note. 13 pages and almost 290 responses and two people say they stand when the anthem is played in their home.

link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

If i happen to see the start of a game on TV, I will alternate standing and taking a knee. I'll be fair to both sides. Guess I'll need to install a white board to keep the tally marks.

Good luck getting anyone else to do that. Sounds too much like exercise.

link   

Ah, yeah. Libs and stuff trying to kill football. So most of the people returning their tickets and flooding the boards about the "baby millionaires" silent protest are Libs? Hmmm. Weird.

No. They are not liberals.
It's liberal deception that led to it.
Liberals are trying to kill football because it represents all they hate.

Masculinity.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Make up your mind.

Why do lefties keep tying this to the constitution? It has nothing to do with it. This is about an employer, the NFL, thus far allowing its employees to kneel while on company time. They can end it anytime they like, or not. Has nothing to do with freedom of expression which is not constitutionally protected in the workplace.

Good lord some of you don't even understand the most basic concepts over things you're hysterical about.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: roadgravel

If i happen to see the start of a game on TV, I will alternate standing and taking a knee. I'll be fair to both sides. Guess I'll need to install a white board to keep the tally marks.

Good luck getting anyone else to do that. Sounds too much like exercise.

And apparently for all those blowing up at how much they hate the NFL, it is too much exercise.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

No. They are not liberals.
It's liberal deception that led to it.
Liberals are trying to kill football because it represents all they hate.

Masculinity.

So the conservatives love football because of the brain damage the players suffer?

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

So what is your conclusion?

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join