It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'd Guess maybe 5 Percent of those who watch the NFL stand for the Anthem. The hypocrisy is HUGE

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens

originally posted by: thesaneone

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Do you stand in your home? If no, you need to look in a mirror and ask why you are such a blatant liar with your feelings. That is unless you never thought about it before, which I would surmise comprises 90% of you or more.

There are a lot of things done in a stadium that nobody does at home, and vise versa. This OP is a horribly poor argument. How many people bow their heads and pray when they see it on TV versus bowing their heads and praying at the dinner table in their home? How many people shoot off fireworks in their living room while watching the 4th of July programming from the major cities? How many people throw slime at their television when watching a live Nickelodian program?

So again the answer is no. Thanks. I'm using this thread and the responses to make another one. I appreciate your input.

So you admit to baiting the members?

Not at all. I asked a simple question. Can you answer it?

Would you believe me?

Would anyone believe the polls?

So that's a no. Thank you.

Dude, you can put me in any column you like, this is the dumbest so called poll yet.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ColoradoJens
I don't stand for the anthem when at home. There is nobody else here for me to show respect to. The flag is not a god or other supreme deity that I worship.

When you go to an NFL game you are in the presence of hundreds or thousands of veterans. That's why I stand.

link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: Nyiah

a reply to: Nyiah

Because the are in public with a large group of their fellow citizens.

But a packed sports bar is not a large group of their fellow citizens and thus no ritual warranted.

You folks make zero sense, it;s obvious flag & anthem etiquette necessity is HIGHLY subjective to you. You just won't admit it.

But it is etiquette. That’s the point, no matter what anyone thinks of the flag.

Would you take your shoes off at the Taj Mahal, even though you weren’t Muslim nor Indian?

It is selectively applied etiquette. If it's not necessary for a packed bar to display the etiquette, then you must concede it's not necessary elsewhere large groups of citizens have congregated. You are arguing that the etiquette is unconditional while giving solid examples that it is indeed conditional.
Make up your mind.

If others in the bar started standing and singing the national anthem, you’d be a buzz kill and not take part? What a buzz-kill.

You've avoided what I've pointed out quite well, kudos to the sidestepping attempt. You argue people must do so in a group setting, but bars don't count. If bars do not count, then why should anyone participate and why would anyone care if I did or didn't?

I also said it was etiquette and civic custom, something you’ve sidestepped.

But you said bars & the like don't count because:

It’s about doing it with others. The national anthem, and standing for it, is the last customary gesture that binds all the people of the country together. It’s simple etiquette.

So why don't people do it together at bars and homes?

Because they are not where the anthem is being played.

By your own admission, they're not where it's being played, so etiquette and civic customs are completely conditional. Or, in plain English, optional.

I was trying to explain the etiquette and custom part, something I still don’t think you understand. When we’re at sporting event, the anthem is being played and people are taking their hats off, we join them in that custom out of respect. It is also a good time to reflect on the lives lost in order to defend the country, and to honor them.

Even if you didn't take your hat off out of respect, there's a difference between passive non-participation and intentional protest and disrespect against.

That's too complicated for the OP though.

link   

Do you stand in your home? If no, you need to look in a mirror and ask why you are such a blatant liar with your feelings. That is unless you never thought about it before, which I would surmise comprises 90% of you or more.

There are a lot of things done in a stadium that nobody does at home, and vise versa. This OP is a horribly poor argument. How many people bow their heads and pray when they see it on TV versus bowing their heads and praying at the dinner table in their home? How many people shoot off fireworks in their living room while watching the 4th of July programming from the major cities? How many people throw slime at their television when watching a live Nickelodian program?

So again the answer is no. Thanks. I'm using this thread and the responses to make another one. I appreciate your input.

So you admit to baiting the members?

Not at all. I asked a simple question. Can you answer it?

Would you believe me?

So that's a no. Thank you.

Dude, you can put me in any column you like, this is the dumbest so called poll yet.

Fair enough. Simple question. No need to lose your chili over it.

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

They're called Polish people.

Or People from Poland.

Racist.

You you you you you.

link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

No pierogis for you!

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: seeker1963

because I don't share the sane views as you.

You finally got something right...
edit on 2017-09-27T21:13:17-05:002201727America/Chicago9 by c2oden because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

I don't allow anyone to wear a hat indoors in my house.

I find that disrespectful.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl

But a packed sports bar is not a large group of their fellow citizens and thus no ritual warranted.

You folks make zero sense, it;s obvious flag & anthem etiquette necessity is HIGHLY subjective to you. You just won't admit it.

But it is etiquette. That’s the point, no matter what anyone thinks of the flag.

Would you take your shoes off at the Taj Mahal, even though you weren’t Muslim nor Indian?

It is selectively applied etiquette. If it's not necessary for a packed bar to display the etiquette, then you must concede it's not necessary elsewhere large groups of citizens have congregated. You are arguing that the etiquette is unconditional while giving solid examples that it is indeed conditional.
Make up your mind.

If others in the bar started standing and singing the national anthem, you’d be a buzz kill and not take part? What a buzz-kill.

You've avoided what I've pointed out quite well, kudos to the sidestepping attempt. You argue people must do so in a group setting, but bars don't count. If bars do not count, then why should anyone participate and why would anyone care if I did or didn't?

It’s about doing it with others. The national anthem, and standing for it, is the last customary gesture that binds all the people of the country together. It’s simple etiquette.

By your own admission, they're not where it's being played, so etiquette and civic customs are completely conditional. Or, in plain English, optional.

I was trying to explain the etiquette and custom part, something I still don’t think you understand. When we’re at sporting event, the anthem is being played and people are taking their hats off, we join them in that custom out of respect. It is also a good time to reflect on the lives lost in order to defend the country, and to honor them.

Even if you didn't take your hat off out of respect, there's a difference between passive non-participation and intentional protest and disrespect against.

Is it? How about you? Do you stand in your home during the national anthem? What is the difference between "passive non-participation" and "intentional Protest" and why are you angry with our constitution? Selective outrage indeed.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

No pierogis for you!

Unless it's a new type of salad, you're right.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: SouthernForkway26
I don't stand for the anthem when at home. There is nobody else here for me to show respect to. The flag is not a god or other supreme deity that I worship.

When you go to an NFL game you are in the presence of hundreds or thousands of veterans. That's why I stand.

Ok, so you stand at the game for your reasons. Fair enough.

link   
Meanwhile, someone's probably getting brutally murdered or raped, world domination, disasters and generally a whole bunch of bad stuff.

O and people getting rich.
edit on 27-9-2017 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

link   

Make up your mind.

Is it? How about you? Do you stand in your home during the national anthem? What is the difference between "passive non-participation" and "intentional Protest" and why are you angry with our constitution? Selective outrage indeed.

if your looking for an actual comparison it would be akin to turning the tv off when the anthem comes on.

link   

Better yet, what kind of a man doesn't remove his cover when walking into someone's house? That's just common courtesy.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Those drunk NFL fans who have been tailgating for 12 hours before the game? Is it respectful if you can barely stand?

Well perhaps a case could be made for drunk fans showing respect to the musical score since the musical tune to the national anthem was borrowed from a british drinking song.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

I'm guessing you're talking about the sane/same typo I made.

Good one. I knew there were Nazi's on these boards, I just didn't realize they were of the grammar variety!

I kid, I don't think there are Nazi's here. It's a joke, don't take it seriously.

link   

originally posted by: Tempter

Better yet, what kind of a man doesn't remove his cover when walking into someone's house? That's just common courtesy.

Always remember to tip your hat when passing a lady on the sidewalk.

link   

originally posted by: TheScale

Make up your mind.

if your looking for an actual comparison it would be akin to turning the tv off when the anthem comes on.

Everyone has a different take on it. Cool how our country works. Except when the selective outrage comes pouring out.

link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: seeker1963

You choose the bigoted path by labeling me something you dislike because I don't share the same views as you.

How do you feel about North Koreans being punished for not bowing down to Kim? I bet you think it's an injustice. Look in the mirror my friend.

Is that WWII Vet I mentioned on the last page an anarchist too?

We are all bigots in one way or another to someone who we disagree with. If you think calling me a bigot will upset me? You have a lot to learn. Why you keep bringing up NORK is a non sequitur to the argument you are representing. Our government won't kill you or put you in a concentration camp will they? We are talking about citizens who are bumping heads over a disagreement are we not?

Call me a racist the next time!

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: SolAquarius

Those drunk NFL fans who have been tailgating for 12 hours before the game? Is it respectful if you can barely stand?

Well perhaps a case could be made for drunk fans showing respect to the musical score since the musical tune to the national anthem was borrowed from a british drinking song.

Yeah, the irony is not lost on me.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join