It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Character Was Removed from the Alphabet?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: PolyCottonBlend
some of those I learned as part of the international phonetic alphabet (which, in my opinion, everyone should learn). it is the most helpful way to understand the complexities of most languages.
great thread!

Yes I know the Phonetic Alphabet from memory.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: PolyCottonBlend

India kilo November Oscar Whisky Whisky Hotel Alpha Tango Yankee Oscar Uniform Romeo Echo Tango Alpha Lima Kilo India November Golf Alpha Bravo Oscar Uniform Tango. Charlie Hotel Echo Echo Romeo Sierra.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ADSE255

Yes...when you sing your ABCs, the part that goes "W, X, Y and Z" is written with the ampersand. That's how it was included in the song, and how we remembered it in school...even though by then it was no longer used in the alphabet. I think there were some other extra characters once upon a time as well. Pretty neat.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Thank you! For being normal.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
AT&T will like the news.
Very interesting fact, and thanks for the thread.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

cool

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen
a reply to: ADSE255

Yes...when you sing your ABCs, the part that goes "W, X, Y and Z" is written with the ampersand. That's how it was included in the song, and how we remembered it in school...even though by then it was no longer used in the alphabet. I think there were some other extra characters once upon a time as well. Pretty neat.

There were just like the Fnords however we are not allowed to see them as part of Newspeak...

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
It got turned into this &

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ADSE255

That small character was once the 27th part of the alphabet. Where did it come from though? The origin of its name is almost as bizarre as the name itself.

The shape of the character (&) predates the word ampersand by more than 1,500 years.

I had no idea. Nonetheless, a piece of history worth remembering. Once in a while I come across stuff like this and it peaks my interest. It's not mind blowing stuff, and it won't change the world. But someone here might appreciate the info.

www.dictionary.com...

Well that is pretty cool....thanks!

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
My Grampa smokes on the porch and it smells bad, like when someone hit a skunk on our street.

I'm thinking he might not be smoking the kind of cigarettes you can buy at the store.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: 11andrew34

They own 1/4 of it at least! Controlling what Consumers buy. What they want. And what they view.

IAC’s family of websites is one of the largest in the world, comprised of more than 150 brands and products

You're right, Chelsea Clinton is on the Board of Directors.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
even as a young kid i was intrigued by language. W was always double U, or V, which caused me to consider other sounds.. j y i in various languages have a common root sound. English stole many sounds and changed them to what we know now..

thorn in old english, to me makes sense, as do the written forms of long and short s, etc.

bt y complicate thns, u no? lol, were devolving our own written language every decade.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Yeah totally! And I agree, many English words were hijacked.

<< 1   >>

join