It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Trip Hop Fans?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I was in an earlier music thread from a poster who wanted to share a new find with ATS and long story short, it got me YouTube'ing some of favorite trip hop songs so I figured, what the hell, might as well see if there were any other trip hop fans on ATS and share some videos.

Or better yet, introduce some ATSers to a genre/some bands.

For those who aren't familiar, trip hop is a genre originating in the early 90's in the UK (specifically, Bristol), which achieved some mainstream popularity due to the success of pioneering bands like Massive Attack, Portishead and Tricky. My personal favorites are Thievery Corporation, Portishead, Handsome Boy Modeling School, Zero 7 — hell, I like a lot of trip hop

Anyway, here's a few tracks to kick things off (trying to be somewhat diverse in my selection):

edit on 2017-9-27 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

You've got some of my favorites in there. Love trip hop.

edit on 27-9-2017 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Love me a bit of trip hop but haven't really listened for years and had only heard the main 3 you mentioned already, so thanks for the alternatives!

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Yep, a trip hop fan right here. You mentioned a couple i haven't heard of, so i will check them out. Some years ago there was a period of time i listened to a lot of Massive attack and Portishead.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DaphneApollo

Nice. You went back to the beginning on that one. Hard to believe that song is more than 25 years old.

Here's some irony for you. I've seen just about every single one of my all time favorite bands but one of them that I always seem to miss is Thievery Corporation because of some scheduling conflict or another.

I just checked tour dates and Thievery Corporation is playing in Philly tonight, in 4 hours, and I committed to something for work already. Ugh. Why didn't I notice this last week? FML.

EDIT:

Saw you updated to add some more. That's my favorite DJ Shadow track.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I usually hop before I trip. It lightens the fall. In my older age I stay away from TRIPPING once you fall the come downs to hard

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Like zero 7 and Thievery Corporation. Bummer, you're gonna miss a great experience, I'd bet on it.

Thanks for the thread, ATS has been boring...

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy
a reply to: Dem0nc1eaner

That seems to be a common thing with trip hop. It's a shame, I'd like to see a revitalization, new bands/etc. TC keeps churning out music though. They've got a new album (this year) and the album before that, Saudade, was released in 2014 I think. One of my favorite tracks from Saudade:

Here's are a few more you may not know:

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
love portishead... i still like to put on dummy when i do housework

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: aliensanonymous

usually hop before I trip. It lightens the fall. In my older age I stay away from TRIPPING once you fall the come downs to hard

Lmao. Damn getting old. I recently hit 40. I didn't know if I should be happy I lived that long or depressed that I could no longer fool myself that I wasn't on the downward slope of life.

The intro to Roads gives me goosebumps, as in literally, I just got goosebumps. Pretty much anything off Dummy and Portishead is good. I hate to admit it — I was really anticipating it, I mean wtf it was 11 years after their last album — but Third was a mixed bag and I just wasn't feeling some of it.

That's definitely one of my favorite Tricky tracks too.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Dj Shadow & Morcheeba are the shiz..nits.

Havent heard a couple you have posted, really looking forward to checking them out. Putting the headphones in now to wind out the last few hours of nightshift with some great songs. Great post.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313
a reply to: aliensanonymous

One standout from Portishead - Third (2008) was The Rip. There's a ton of covers of it on YouTube (at least a couple dozen, including Radiohead and in multiple languages). I know "hauntingly beautiful" is a bit cliched but it really is. Here's a couple of the better covers, I believe the second is in Romanian (which TIL from Wikipedia has a 77% lexical similarity to Italian)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Never bothered with the backing tracks of the 90s while the clubs were on fire and the decks at our houses never stopped spinning . Got on YT just the same as you did and brought back

the tune and the vid remind me of just what a salty crew we've all become since then !

Heres one for the kids

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Someone said trip-hop and I was attracted out of the shadows....

If you have the time to watch, this is an excellent Portishead performance from Glastonbury 2013. Those chills that were spoken of at the beginning of 'Roads' will only be more intense with this one

track list:

0:04 Silence
5:13 Mysterons
11:17 Sour Times
15:16 Magic Doors
18:33 Wandering Star
23:48 Machine Gun
28:39 Over
32:41 Glory Box
38:38 Chase The Tear
44:32 Cowboys
49:28 Threads
55:47 Roads
1:01:32 We Carry On

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Didn't know the style in which you call it...
But yes, I enjoy this music.

Jesse whelens, Casey Neistat... even Burnie Burns are pushing this style in their vlogs. 🤗

Edit: good vibes and relaxing.

edit on 28-9-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I have listened to every song posted on here within the last month. This stuff was the soundtrack to my life through high school and right after. Such great music. Awesome thread!

top topics

join