It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump cares more about NFL football than Puerto Rico

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

So. Complete the equation. If I'm ignorant, what am I ignorant of? Ignorant isn't an insult it is a state of being unaware of something. The solution to ignorance is knowledge. So if you are labeling me ignorant, then surely you know exactly what I'm ignorant of and can tell me. So do so. Otherwise you are using an empty label in a childish attempt to dismiss my OP because you don't like the thread topic.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

So an ad hominem instead of linking that source again. I guess we have nothing further to talk about.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

He was all gung ho about the aid he was providing to Florida and Texas. He didn't spend a weekend complaining about NFL players first. He let out several tweets letting everyone know he was sending the trucks and aid was on its way. With Puerto Rico on the other hand aid has been a trickle and he JUST denied temporarily waiving the Jones Act, something he did for Texas and Florida, citing business interests. It's embarrassing how light and day his responses are between the first two hurricane attacks and the last one.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: burdman30ott6

So you are ok with Trump not temporarily waiving the Jones Act?

I live in a remote port city, so I support the Jones Act. That said, I have no problem with the feds lifting it for this particular scenario, nor would I particularly disagree if they chose to keep it in effect.

The point of lifting it temporarily is to increase aid efforts. I can see no valid reason why business interests would be more important than people's lives.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Not waiving the Jones Act is what's going to reap a lot of deaths in Puerto Rice. It's prohibits aide from any other nation than the US, and aide that must be provided by US owned shipped and powered by US purchased petrol fuel.

This is worse than Katrina, way worse!

Yeah. When I read that earlier that was the final straw that sealed the deal with my opinion in this OP. I've been saying it jokingly for a while now, but I really am starting to think that Trump didn't know that Puerto Rico was part of the US before this hurricane hit.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I could be wrong, but the waiver system for the executive branch does not include acts of congress. That would be our legislators that need to vote on a waiver.

So what's happening is that shipping interests in the water are saying they want to keep it intact. Trump is siding with them while Congress is saying to waive it (with one or two wanting to outright repeal it) Source

I feel like shipping interests don't trump human lives. This decision should be a no brainer.
edit on 27-9-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Between you and I....i suspect his response is colored by the economic relationship between us and PR. He's made mention, in awkward comments, about their enormous debt.

He's playing a game behind the scenes. Don't know what that game is...but when things aren't making sense, it has to be because games are afoot.

The fact that PR seems to be backing him up only makes me think that there are games afoot even more.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I can see no valid reason why business interests would be more important than people's lives.

You can't seem to see much of anything outside of your myopic viewpoint on this particular president, frankly. It was comical, now it is on the brink of becoming fairly pathetic. The governor of Puerto Rico has requested further aid after expressing gratitude for the aide already provided. This is how this process works and how it has always worked. Trump is performing his job here, regardless of whether Krazysh0t is able to pull on his Columbo pants and find the reasons for the decisions that have been made or not. Read a little deeper here for a change, the problem isn't getting supplies to the island of Puerto Rico, the needed supplies are already there... waiting on ships that can't get them into the ports because the ports are destroyed.
www.wsj.com...

Authorities have reopened Puerto Rico’s biggest port but say efforts to speed relief supplies to the island devastated by Hurricane Maria are being hampered by heavy damage to roads, computer systems and other critical infrastructure.

Cargo ships carrying supplies from the mainland U.S. began arriving at San Juan’s port on Saturday. But distribution of water, food and temporary shelter is building slowly, federal officials and private companies taking part in the relief efforts said, with thousands of shipping containers waiting for transport at the port.

Putting this in terms you can understand, if you have a clogged toilet, taking additional craps into it won't clear the clog and will only make matters worse. You need to clear the toilet of it's overload before you drop your pants and dump in it again.

The Jones Act hasn't got a goddamned thing to do with the problems in distributing and handling aide and supplies PR is struggling with right now.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

If I'm ignorant, what am I ignorant of?

You seem to be ignorant of the fact that Puerto Rico is presently flush with cargo containers full of supplies and aide, but lack the capcity to move them through their ports and distribute them quickly enough to prevent a large backlog of cargo ships waiting to deliver their supplies.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Yes that is all well and good, but WHY can't Trump clear the ports and roads with his mind?! Surely he could at least make the effort to reverse the damage through magic. I watched Superman and he reversed time by flying quickly round the world. Trump is not even trying. I know for a fact he isn't trying because I saw it on the tele and read about it on CNN.com.
edit on 27/9/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Trump addresses criticism over Puerto Rico disaster response: 'It's out in the ocean — you can't just drive your trucks there'
Gonna be quick because I posted this too early. Trump started out by defending his lackluster response to helping PR by declaring there is an ocean between us and the island.

"This isn't like Florida where we can go up the spine. This isn't like Texas where we go right down the middle and we distribute," Trump said. "This is a thing called the Atlantic Ocean. This is tough stuff."

No #. Of course. That means you need to prepare more thoroughly. We had plenty of time to get ready, but Trump cares more about tweeting about the NFL than helping these people.

Trump defends response to devastation in Puerto Rico, promises visit
Trump had to be coerced into visiting the island after mounting concerns of his lack of care.

Naftali said that in his re­sponses to Harvey and Irma, Trump and his team seemed to have learned the lessons of Hurricane Katrina, the 2005 storm that stained the presidency of George W. Bush after his detached response.

“Trump wanted the message to be loud and clear: ‘We care,’ ” Naftali said. “That attention has been sorely lacking in the case of Hurricane Maria.”

Those questioning Trump’s interest in helping Puerto Rico have included an array of Democratic politicians, such as his vanquished presidential rival Hillary Clinton, and numerous celebrities such as pop singer Marc Anthony.

“Do something about our people in need in #PuertoRico,” Anthony, whose parents are from Puerto Rico, wrote in a tweet this week. “We are American citizens too.”

Keep in mind that he was ECSTATIC about helping Florida and Texas.
It’s not complicated: Trump is more interested in NFL protests than the storm in Puerto Rico

Watching Hurricane closely. My team, which has done, and is doing, such a good job in Texas, is already in Florida. No rest for the weary!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 6, 2017

Trump clearly relished his ability to act as CEO of emergency management. Americans generally agreed: Post-ABC polling released on Sunday indicates Trump’s handling of the storms in Texas and Florida was viewed positively — a rarity for an historically unpopular president.

What’s gone mostly unmentioned by the president, though, is Hurricane Maria, which stripped huge swaths of the island of Puerto Rico of resources, power and vegetation. Washington Post reporters have documented the plight of the island, with people desperate for aid not finding much.

And he is trying to say it isn't his fault for not helping

“Texas and Florida are doing great,” he wrote, “but Puerto Rico, which was already suffering from broken infrastructure and massive debt, is in deep trouble. Its old electrical grid, which was in terrible shape, was devastated. Much of the Island was destroyed, with billions of dollars owed to Wall Street and the banks which, sadly, must be dealt with. Food, water and medical are top priorities — and doing well.”

The message Trump is trying to convey with those tweets (which we cleaned up a bit for legibility) is pretty clear: If Puerto Rico is going badly, it’s not my fault. Why the territory’s debt was worth mentioning is hard too understand outside of the context of Trump portraying it as a place that is responsible for its own problems.

Clearly Trump doesn't care about Puerto Rico as much as Texas or Florida. I'm not going to make the racism angle, but man... Talking about football instead was STUPID.

Pure left-wing Bull. Period.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

If you think about it, it doesn't even make sense. Puerto Rico (and the Virgin Islands which keep getting ignored) is absolutely devastated. Nobody is doing business there until it gets back on its feet.

You have to admit it's kind of funny that Trump made sure to mention PR's debt in his one Tweet (compared to the 50 NFL ones) when $30 million of that debt comes from one of Trump's golf courses going bankrupt.
edit on 9/27/2017 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Yes that is all well and good, but WHY can't Trump clear the ports and roads with his mind?! Surely he could at least make the effort to reverse the damage through magic. I watched Superman and he reversed time by flying quickly round the world. Trump is not even trying. I know for a fact he isn't trying because I saw it on the tele and read about it on CNN.com.

winner winner!

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: Arnie123

I've been waiting for one of the Trump haters to start a thread about how Puerto Ricans and virgin Islanders are darker than he is which makes them unimportant.

Well Trumps record with his hatred of Mexicans might have something to do with his lack of concern for other Brown people.

Trumps no fool, he knows full well how to keep his appeal to his base strong and loyal.
edit on 27-9-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I've been waiting for one of the Trump haters to start a thread about how Puerto Ricans and virgin Islanders are darker than he is which makes them unimportant.

Well Trumps record with his hatred of Mexicans might have something to do with his lack of concern for other Brown people.

Trumps no fool, he knows full well how to keep his appeal to his base strong and loyal.

You are telling lies. I'll be blunt about it. Donald Trump does not hate Mexicans, nor brown people as you put it. He hates illegal alien criminality.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Your fly is down and we can see your bias.
edit on 27-9-2017 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Your fly is down and we can see your bias.

I have other biases against Trump. Not the least of which is against draft dodging cowards. And men that cheat on their wives. He even admitted it. Character counts....
edit on 27-9-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

All talk no proof, blah blah blah I have my llc ready for the wall, blah blah blah, bigly, anything else olaru?

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I have other biases against Trump. Not the least of which is against draft dodging cowards. And men that cheat on their wives. He even admitted it. Character counts....

You must have a hard time finding many in the White House the past 30 years that you didn't have identical biases against, then...

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Seeing people on here defending Trump in this case is hilarious. Just look at how many Trump tweets about the NFL vs Puerto Rico. Who knew we'd live to see "Idiocracy" happen before our eyes?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join