It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump cares more about NFL football than Puerto Rico

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

So it's the fault of urban people that they can't hunt and kill animals to survive? Are you insane?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

You also cited the OPs source that Trump's Twitter feed is "often a good gauge of what is grabbing his attention."

Were you being general on that point as well?

It isn't a good gauge of what is grabbing his attention. For all you know he could be tweeting on the toilet, and you guys will have to imaging what is grabbing his attention while taking a dump, without concern of what grabs his attention throughout the rest of the day. It is the poorest gauge of what is grabbing his attention.

However, it is a good gauge of what is going to grab your attention, and dominate the media.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: burdman30ott6

You didn't prove anything. My initial post was a response to Neo's post that was saying "The best thing that happened to Puerto Rico was getting hit. They were already bankrupt. Now cash is guaranteed to be flowing in out of sympathy."

I replied by saying "Let me guess, yet another hypocrite who complains about Americans kneeling for the flag because of "patriotism", yet is fine with Americans suffering, dying, losing their homes & properties, etc in a hurricane?"

That's the context for my other posts. I was referring to the hypocrites who complain about patriotism with the flag, but then think that Americans getting crushed by a hurricane is a good thing because of sympathy cash. Unless your link proved that its the flag worshipers and people like Neo who are donating money to Puerto Rico, then you didn't prove crap.

Oh bullcrap. Don't backpeddle your way out of this statement:

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I'm interested to hear how it has to do with the oppression of White people and Second Amendment rights, myself.

Don't forget the religious angle. More than 95% of Puerto Ricans are Christians according to this, yet that doesn't seem to be gaining them any sympathy from our supposedly pro-Christian right wing. The right is literally having to be pressured in the press and social media to get involved with helping their fellow Christian Americans in Puerto Rico.

Let's make sure they remember this every time they complain about a "war on Christmas" and the Left's supposed "war on Christianity"...

This wasn't just directed at Neo, nor did it have any contextual link to patriotism or anything other than you making a failing attempt to swat at Christians. YOU FAILED. Christians in America are donating to relief efforts and Christian charities are boots on the ground in Puerto Rico. Franklin Graham's group was among the first responders into the territory after Irma, let alone after Maria hit. Franklin Graham, for your distinct edification, was also the pastor who conducted the benediction at President Trump's inauguration. So by all means, tell us how "right wing" American Christians are hypocrites while there are large numbers of them donating money, time, and talents to help Puerto Rico recover from these two hurricanes... and please, add a little bass to your voice and use some deep tones to do so rather than back peddaling out of the argument with some ridiculous BS about context.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: marg6043

So it's the fault of urban people that they can't hunt and kill animals to survive? Are you insane?

As an Alaskan living in Anchorage, she's not wrong. If/when this area gets hit with another Good Friday magnitude quake, a lot of folks are going to be wholly boned purely because they lack any sustainable and survival skills beyond driving down to Fred Meyer's to buy their groceries. Urbanites can't survive without their social constructs and distributed delegations of responsibilities that should instead be personally dealt with as much as possible. Those of us who the elitist snobs look down their noses at are the ones who come out of these disasters in pretty damn good shape.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I see an SOP of shifting heavy capabilities...WHAT the hell are you complaining about?
YOU can't just WHIP out orders on the spot and HEY I would remind you:OUR PRESIDENT'S GOLF GAME has suffered GREATLY ...unlike that LAST asshat,who infiltrated in.
edit on 28-9-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

It's not about being wrong. It's about being unrealistic and quite frankly just as smug as the people you are talking down about now. That may work for you, for her, for her family, but it isn't everyone's story. Some people can't stand the woods at all. Natural disasters hit everyone, no matter who you are. To dismiss people's struggles just because you can thrive in these situations is callous and mean, and there is no reason to expect people who live in cities to live like you do or even want to.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

It's not about being wrong. It's about being unrealistic and quite frankly just as smug as the people you are talking down about now. That may work for you, for her, for her family, but it isn't everyone's story. Some people can't stand the woods at all. Natural disasters hit everyone, no matter who you are. To dismiss people's struggles just because you can thrive in these situations is callous and mean, and there is no reason to expect people who live in cities to live like you do or even want to.

Ill be damned, that is the best argument against gun control i've seen on ATS.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
So now it's revealed that the Governor and the President have been on the phone daily with each other for some time... How can this be????? We've seen the tweets so we know Trumps days have been fully booked writing short tweets... so what kind of magic is this that he could also be on the Phone??

I don't get it, unless Trump is a witch...? His hands and feet should be tied together and he should be thrown in the river... if he drowns he was doing a good job, if he survives he's a witch and should be impeached.
edit on 28/9/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Ill be damned, that is the best argument against gun control i've seen on ATS.

No kidding. It also demonstrates that the urban folks actually do understand how rural people feel and why, despite every effort by them to the contrary.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

its not the 51st state. Its a protectorate. They have free travel to and from. They arent part of the union.

a reply to: Krazysh0t

It is not the 51st state. Its a protectorate. Its not part of the union.

In fact they constantly vote against being taxed, errr, I mean joining the union as a contributing member of our country.

edit on 9 28 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

To be fair to Trump there is not much that can be done at the moment.

The infrastructure is shot and plane can't land on cluttered runways with damaged towers so I'd make that a priority. But of course the is the option of navy destroyers to deliver vitals but they can't exactly be scrambled like fighter jets so it would take time to deploy them. Choppers don't have the range and air drops take a while to coordinate.

Trump maybe weighing up his options but these things take time, maybe the SG is handling things-who knows.

edit on 28-9-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

It's about being unrealistic and quite frankly just as smug as the people you are talking down about now

Isn't that what insurance is for ?

Given the FACT that hurricanses are all named, and everyone knows when they are coming.

How bout prone areas take care of their own business instead of expecting others to bail them out all the time.

It's unrealistic to expect people that live thousands of miles away from islands, and coastal areas to rebuild their homes, and business's.

Hell maybe the local governments and state government's should start those things called emergency funds for when bad things happen.

But alas that would be unrealistic.

Never ending bailouts is the name of this game while playing political hackery with NATURES destruction.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

This wasn't just directed at Neo, nor did it have any contextual link to patriotism or anything other than you making a failing attempt to swat at Christians. YOU FAILED

Sure did.

Every other day of the week they're screaming separation of church and state.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

This wasn't just directed at Neo, nor did it have any contextual link to patriotism or anything other than you making a failing attempt to swat at Christians. YOU FAILED

Sure did.

Every other day of the week they're screaming separation of church and state.

...as evidenced by the fact that a football player kneels on the field during a stoppage to thank God and people's heads explode, but a group of football players kneel in a metaphorical middle finger to tradition and patriotism and the same people sprain muscles patting those players on the back and kissing their asses. America has some seriously jacked up ideals of late.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

The USNS Comfort is still in Norfolk....

Carriers can exceed 30 knots and 1 could have been there in days. Mayport,Fl is home to a large number of cruisers and destroyers they can also exceed 30 knots.

It has been over a week and minimal US response. If I recall correctly the carrier Carl Vinson made it to Haiti after the earthquake faster than this.

Quit making excuses for Trump's lack of leadership here.
edit on 28-9-2017 by jrod because: Fl

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

It's still a US territory and it's citizens are still American citizens.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Whatever dude. Check each post instead of cherry picking. I don't value your opinion enough to backpedal.

Neo's post: www.abovetopsecret.com...

My reply to Neo's post: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Gryphon's reply to my reply to Neo's post: www.abovetopsecret.com...

My reply to Gryphon's reply to my reply to Neo's post: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Look at the damn context here. The ones getting "pressured in the press and social media to get involved with helping their fellow Christian Americans in Puerto Rico" are Trump, his supporters, and the right wingers in this thread.

That's when you decided to jump in, completely ignoring the context. It's not my fault you kneejerk react seemingly without the capacity to follow each post in a conversation. If you choose to see each post simply in isolation, that's your own fault.

ETA: So yeah, I stand by my words and by my position. I see a lot of right wingers who claim to be patriotic and claim to love the flag (even though they disrespect the flag based on US Flag Code - HERE), yet they hesitated to help their fellow Americans in Puerto Rico, as if a flag is more important than actual people. I see a lot on the "Christian" right who claim the Left is waging a war on Christians and Christmas, yet they had to pressured by the media to help their own "fellow" Christians in Puerto Rico.

I'm not backpedaling on any of that. As I've said in several threads now, "patriotism" to me is about people not rituals, borders, and idols. Being glad that Americans got crushed by a hurricane so they can possibly get sympathy funds is both repulsive and unpatriotic to me, mno matter what anyone else says.

edit on 28-9-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-9-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
No one is being pressured. PR and US Politicians as well as the media are trying to make this another 'Trump screwed up" issue and it is not the truth. PR has had assistance since before Irma. Then, after Irma, when they were half out of power they could not forsee a week later another Cat 4 bearing down. It happened though.

It is tragic, but just like those who live in non-urban areas in the US those in non-urban areas in PR are hard to reach and rescue. These are facts. There were military on the ground BEFORE Maria. FEMA was there BEFORE Maria. The Jones Act was lifted including PR. It was extended once and Irma and now again after Maria.

The false narrative is what is tearing apart this country. We spend more time discussing fault then solutions.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Puerto Rico is a self-governing commonwealth in association with the United States. The chief of state is the President of the United States of America. The head of government is an elected Governor.

Puerto Rico has authority over its internal affairs. United States controls: interstate trade, foreign relations and commerce, customs administration, control of air, land and sea, immigration and emigration, nationality and citizenship, currency, maritime laws, military service, military bases, army, navy and air force, declaration of war, constitutionality of laws, jurisdictions and legal procedures, treaties, radio and television--communications, agriculture, mining and minerals, highways, postal system; Social Security, and other areas generally controlled by the federal government in the United States.

Puerto Rican institutions control internal affairs unless U.S. law is involved, as in matters of public health and pollution.

welcome.topuertorico.org...

I am not saying that the US should not be involved but as a common wealth they should do and have done more for themselves.

They need help, I get it.

The thing is that doesnt change the fact that they are not part of our country. Their people dont have to rescind their PUERTO RICAN CITIZENSHIP and still have American citizenship AS WELL.

Puerto Rico is STILL another country you CAN HAVE CITIZENSHIP TO.

We should keep the airports and roads working. They should truck the fuel, food, and general aid as well as secure their resources and infrastructure. Organize their government, its response, things like that.

EDIT TO ADD:

When you think of a chief of state, you probably go right to the president of the United States. The U.S. president is often called the most powerful person in the world, so you get this picture in your mind of someone who is almost a supreme ruler for however long he (or she) is in office. Chief of state, or head of state, is really only a part of the president's role, though. Chief of state is the individual a country calls on when it needs a spokesperson to talk with a foreign country.

When a country needs to focus all of its national pride on someone at a national celebration, like a holiday or even an important sporting event, the focus is on the head of state. The head of state is the person the world sees. He or she is also the person a country sees when there are national issues that need to be discussed, like foreign policy, healthcare, or taxes. Chief of State vs. Head of Government It's important to note that the president of the United States is not just the head of state, the president is also head of government.

The U.S. isn't the only country that combines the two offices, but they are two different positions. The head of government is the leading executive officer. In the U.S., the head of government (the president) can select advisors, suggest laws, veto bills, and even provide candidates for the Supreme Court to Congress. In a country where the two offices are separate, the head of government generally makes the decisions.

If the head of state has any official power, he or she is expected to approve them.

study.com...

So again, their government cant shift the blame of being ill prepared or incompetent in delivering the aid they turn back or cant distribute. A few emergency generators and a reserve of fuel outside the country would have been nice. Things like that. But hey, its the US problem right?

edit on 9 28 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

So now it's revealed that the Governor and the President have been on the phone daily with each other for some time... How can this be????? We've seen the tweets so we know Trumps days have been fully booked writing short tweets... so what kind of magic is this that he could also be on the Phone??

I don't get it, unless Trump is a witch...? His hands and feet should be tied together and he should be thrown in the river... if he drowns he was doing a good job, if he survives he's a witch and should be impeached.

Congratulations on the dumbest post of the day!!

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join