It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nielsen: Football ratings off 11 percent this year

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Precisely. Hence why I think this kneeling issue is a distraction/nothing burger. Trying to tie declining viewership to the kneeling issue is disingenuous. We know there is a shift in the younger generations' attitudes towards sports that is rather significant, transcends all sports not just the NFL, and has been going on for awhile now. To ignore all of that to pitch that the NFL's viewership is FINALLY taking a hit after one too many controversies is a hard pill to swallow. I'm sure there is a number of people who aren't watching because of the kneeling. I feel like most are temporary protesters though and will start watching again at a later date. The real damage is being done by young people not growing up liking the sport and transitioning into being a watcher in their adult life.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Throes

Because they are all in a vast interconnected conspiracy with ALL THE WORLDS MEDIA, teachers unions, the scientific community, college professors, regular unions, celebrities, exc to make the GOP look bad and discredit Jesus!!!

It is definitely not that the relatively small conservative media sites are lying and everyone educated on the issues think conservatives are wrong...

No, someone is definitely paying off every single person that enters a field that is not conservative enough for the Fox News types..

That is definitely a more realistic world view...

Did I forget to mention the inter dimensional child rapists in pizza shops??

Lol...just lol..

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: Throes

Because they are all in a vast interconnected conspiracy with ALL THE WORLDS MEDIA, teachers unions, the scientific community, college professors, regular unions, celebrities, exc to make the GOP look bad and discredit Jesus!!!

It is definitely not that the relatively small conservative media sites are lying and everyone educated on the issues think conservatives are wrong...

No, someone is definitely paying off every single person that enters a field that is not conservative enough for the Fox News types..

That is definitely a more realistic world view...

Did I forget to mention the inter dimensional child rapists in pizza shops??

Lol...just lol..

I don't even know what you are talking about to be honest.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

JoshuaCox obviously has no clue what he is talking about.

Baseball has been consistently rising.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

If that was true, younger viewers would stop watching. I kinda think older folks are the ones turning the station.
The numbers by week 8 should be interesting.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DrStevenBrule

Way to cop out from proving your point. Fair enough. I ask that you please don't respond to me anymore then.
edit on 27-9-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: DrStevenBrule

Way to cop out from proving your point. Fair enough. I ask that you please don't respond to me anymore then.

No problem. Please return the favor.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Krazysh0t

If that was true, younger viewers would stop watching. I kinda think older folks are the ones turning the station.

You think? What about the numbers proving that is the case? Can't we deny some ignorance here instead of letting our feelings dictate the conversation?

The numbers by week 8 should be interesting.

Maybe. Here are the numbers from year-to-year broken down by age group from 2013 (before kneelinggate) - 2016
NFL viewership fell in nearly all demographics and all regions in 2016
What I see from those bar graphs is that young adults watch less NFL than older adults and that from 2013 to 2016 viewership has declined across the board. Looks like statistics are backing up my guesses better than yours.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   
the numbers this week will start to tell. Local bar is done with the NFL Sundays they can afford to take a year off the owner said. Stuff will still be on just not the NFL.

I'm done and most of the people i work with are saying it at least now. Time will tell.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
the numbers this week will start to tell. Local bar is done with the NFL Sundays they can afford to take a year off the owner said. Stuff will still be on just not the NFL.

I'm done and most of the people i work with are saying it at least now. Time will tell.

You are part of the majority my friend.

Over 70% of NFL fans were against the protests last I saw.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Monday Night Football viewership was up 65% I understand. Yeah, we'll see.

Ref

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
How much of the dip is down to people reading about CTE and not wanting to watch a 'sport' where people get progressively worse brain damage and are effectively ignored by the owners as they shovel loads of cash into their own pockets?

There are many reasons why NFL is facing a long-term decline, but even casual football fans can see the decline accelerated sharply starting last year. Only people why are trying to be ignorant (like the NFL execs) don't see how the politicization of the games and commentary is poisoning the sport.

Overall, we seem to be reaching a point where our overly-politicized society is becoming intolerable, and people are pushing back against the media, celebs, and others who insist on shoving this stuff in our faces.

link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule

You are part of the majority my friend.

Over 70% of NFL fans were against the protests last I saw.

Where was that? That you saw that is.

link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Ref

Not like NBC would have any interest in skewing these numbers lol

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

Overall, we seem to be reaching a point where our overly-politicized society is becoming intolerable, and people are pushing back against the media, celebs, and others who insist on shoving this stuff in our faces.

Pushing back? You're participating.

link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I wouldn't hold your breath there. I asked him to prove his claims and was called a smug asshole for daring to question him.

link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Ref

Not like NBC would have any interest in skewing these numbers lol

Hmmm ... any proof of that?

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Gryphon66

I wouldn't hold your breath there. I asked him to prove his claims and was called a smug asshole for daring to question him.

Yeah, I know; very, very limited playbook.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
NFL ratings have little to do with the kneeling controversy. Their ratings have been declining for years, as has NASCAR.

Blaming Kapernick and what he started is merely a scapegoat. It is easier for some to blame the darkies protesting than actually taking the time to realize why the NFL is losing popularity.

American football is not appealing to the younger generation. Most high schools no longer(except in Texas and mid west) have the football/cheerleader cool clique they had decades ago. The younger generation is not obsessed with footbal like their parents generation was.

The bottem line is football is losing popularity largely because the younger generations just do not care for it. The under 30 crowd finds other ways to spend their time and money.
edit on 27-9-2017 by jrod because: O

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

NOOOOO! I want my Merica baaaack!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join