It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nielsen: Football ratings off 11 percent this year

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

My alma is still having sell-outs to home games and travels extremely well. Of course, our stadium is smaller than the really big boys, but the alums sure love going, and the students show up (you know, those millennials who don't like football anymore).

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Of course the large corporations own/run the media, how do You think "They" get away with it??? Now when You get a moment for 'reflection' think about ALL the crap that NEVER gets reported, dig into this and You'll not get a good night's sleep from that point on. That is how 'they' beat the drums for their profitable war$ (See Richard 'DICK' Cheney and Haliburton™/Iraq)

Not only do the NFL™ Owners rake in the $$$ they usually get the Cities their team plays in to pay for the Billion Dollar Stadiums and then the owners keep the $$$ Sometimes it is just a "practice facility" they have the City build, but don't worry to pay for the field they can fire a few teachers... (see attached video re: Cincinnati Bengals facility)

www.youtube.com...

The City of Jacksonville laid off firefighters to help pay for $1Billion dollar scoreboard for the Stadium. Let that sink in for a minute.. The fans pay for a ticket then watch the game on the GIANT television...

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: dawnstar

I don't watch football, so I have to ask, just how much "political commentary" was there before trump started tweeting??

or are you including players silently kneeling as "political commentary??

Not really any. Kapernick did it first, but he isn't on a team right now. Until Trump said something no one was really even talking about that issue anymore.

What?!
That's all that was being talked about.
Rumors flying that the team owners blackballed kapernick. The same owners kneeling with their teams mind you.

That all happened over the weekend after Trump tweeted about the kneeling. All the teams started kneeling in protest of Trump.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Just heard on tbe radio that directv is offering a refund to anybody wanting to cancel their nfl package.
Guess they are worried that people will cancel direct all together and not just the package.

Bwwhahaha

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

I don't watch football, so I have to ask, just how much "political commentary" was there before trump started tweeting??

or are you including players silently kneeling as "political commentary??

Not really any. Kapernick did it first, but he isn't on a team right now. Until Trump said something no one was really even talking about that issue anymore.

What?!
That's all that was being talked about.
Rumors flying that the team owners blackballed kapernick. The same owners kneeling with their teams mind you.

That all happened over the weekend after Trump tweeted about the kneeling. All the teams started kneeling in protest of Trump.

Wrong.

This has been going on long before that. I remember Krappforbrains black ball talk going on the day after the draft.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The entire preseason was filled with questions about why kapernick was not on any team that needed a quarterback. Long before any tweets or kneeling.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
How much of the dip is down to people reading about CTE and not wanting to watch a 'sport' where people get progressively worse brain damage and are effectively ignored by the owners as they shovel loads of cash into their own pockets?

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Yet few to no other players were kneeling. Kapernick wasn't (isn't) on a team. It wasn't an issue outside of a discussion point for sports commentators. The dip in viewership, imo, only appears to be correlated to the kneeling issue because it got big again recently. But the numbers have been in decline for a while and it is likely due to the higher profile of CTE and other junk the NFL has been covering up at the expense of their players' health (opiate addictions being another).
edit on 27-9-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DrStevenBrule

Why would you think that people's opinion of one quarterback would reflect on the whole league? People didn't stop watching the NFL because Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson beat their family members. Saying that they aren't watching because Kapernick kneeled is disingenuous and a leap in logic.

link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
How much of the dip is down to people reading about CTE and not wanting to watch a 'sport' where people get progressively worse brain damage and are effectively ignored by the owners as they shovel loads of cash into their own pockets?

Probably minimal considering most of the retired NFL athletes say they would do it all over again even knowing the risks. They know what they could potentially be in for.

link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Colin isn't being hired because he isn't a good qb and his agent is asking too much.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Why would you think that people's opinion of one quarterback would reflect on the whole league? People didn't stop watching the NFL because Ray Rice or Adrian Peterson beat their family members. Saying that they aren't watching because Kapernick kneeled is disingenuous and a leap in logic.

Ray Rice hasn't played since that came out. I'm sure partly because of fan disapproval.

link   

If he was a good qb producing for a team he would be hired.

link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: butcherguy

Colin isn't being hired because he isn't a good qb and his agent is asking too much.

Shh. Don't tell non-NFL fans that. That makes too much sense.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Throes

Ray Rice hasn't played since that came out. I'm sure partly because of fan disapproval.

Exactly. Only HIS career suffered. Not the entire NFL. The NFL took a hit for bungling the punishments for those two people, but even then viewership didn't respond much.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

a reply to: hombero

One reason for the decline could be that viewers want to watch a game and not political commentary.

It was politicized a long time ago, no one seemed to mind until it conflicted with right wing political correctness.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I don't think the typical nfl fan really cares about CTE. Neither do boxing fans considering the pay per view numbers for some of the big fights.
People just want to watch a game.
I know that's how I feel and I doubt I'm alone.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

I'm not sure how big of a football fan you are but that is the exact reason the decline accelerated last year.

I am a massive sports fan and I follow this stuff very closely.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

If he was a good qb producing for a team he would be hired.

Agreed. I've never said otherwise.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

It probably depends if the NFL fans are parents with kids in football as far as CTE

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join