It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Against Kneeling

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The current state of affairs of the world, at least according to those who dictate such things, require that we opine on the behaviours of ultra-rich NFL players and President Trump’s tweets. Here is my opinion.

It is a weird issue, but mostly because now, oddly, we can hear the long forgotten cries of “free speech” from the very same voices that were suspiciously silent at times when the principle might apply to their ideological inferiors. Though it is nice of you to finally show up, I must ask, where the hell have you been?

I'm guessing you were waiting for your marching orders. It is no wonder that CNN's Don Lemon and Wolf Blister accuse Trump of racist double standards, contrasting his comments on the protesters in the football field to those of the protesters in Charlottesville, an argument so original we've already heard it a thousand times already. A sophisticated piece of casuistry, no doubt. But with this species of argument they can go on unjustly and fallaciously assuming the intentions and desires of the man they hate without having to ask him or confirm what they truly are, resulting in all kinds of accusations that the president is a racist, white supremacist, based on these fantasies. The only thing comparable between the two largely disparate situations is that Trump criticized the behaviour of those involved in both instances, not the beliefs and ideologies and skin-colors as the parrots might have been inclined—or taught—to presume.

Besides, this isn't about free speech. It's about civil behavior. It might be a little too bourgeois for Kapernick's liking (he has the gall to protest, without irony, police brutality and injustice while wearing a Castro shirt), but there is a little French word called etiquette found common throughout civil societies. Yes, NFL players have the right to kneel during the national anthem, just as it is your right to protest the funeral of a soldier, or mock the disabled, or yell racial epithets at oppressed minorities. Thank god for freedom. But in so doing we should not be afraid to criticize the lack of etiquette, and the ill-mannered contempt for one of the few social customs that bind all the citizens of the country together—standing for a national anthem—for the sake of those who would show them utter disregard in order to advance their trite political aims.

edit on 26-9-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

You are spot on as usual.

You should teach a masters course in writing...I would be first in line.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
yeah because that's what ATS was needing right.

Another thread about kneeling.....

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

The way I am teaching myself is by writing word for word the works of author's I love to read, so as to develop a similar rhythm in my muscle memory.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Besides, this isn't about free speech. It's about civil behavior.

Exactly..... very selfish behavior.

Great post.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

yeah because that's what ATS was needing right.

Another thread about kneeling.....

And, consequently, one of your comments on the topic.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Metallicus

The way I am teaching myself is by writing word for word the works of author's I love to read, so as to develop a similar rhythm in my muscle memory.

I have noticed that if I read a book I start wording my sentences in their style.

In fact, if I write after reading a good book I can write better.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I think the proper word would be "tact" but you have a point.

BTW, did you know Colin was adopted by a middle class white family? Now there's your real irony.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Another reason why it is a weird issue is that people are presenting kneeling as an act of defiance. Normally things are the other way round- kneeling is a well-known symbol of humble submission, and someone stands up when they're ready to fight.

How far are people ready to take this? Will we see whole crowds of Trump-haters kneeling in front of him as he passes by, to show their willingness to resist? Why didn't they think of that at the Inauguration? Will Republicans retaliate by kneeling down in front of Hillary? Will black people start kneeling in front of KuKluxKlan leaders?

Perhaps it is time to move onto more important issues. Are we aware that there are still people in the world who are cracking their boiled eggs at the big end instead of the little end?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Well said. It's always great see things from different perspectives. There is always some insight to gain.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
look at what one man, with a single gesture started. someone told kap to kneel instead of sitting on the bench.

now his name will echo in history... whilst others oomph..

Rosa chose not to stand... and her disregard for the rule changed the lives of millions.
edit on 26-9-2017 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

After giving this issue some thought, I would posit that a more effective protest might have been to stand for the anthem then "take a knee" instead of playing the game.

That would have made it a personal sacrifice for a cause they truly believe in since they would be fined and not paid for not playing.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

In Wembley stadium, in London, The Jaguars and Ravens took the knee of the American anthem, yet stood for God Save the Queen. It's bizarro world.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I would challenge them, if they believe that strongly in protest, to take a knee during the game.

I would admire the crap out of anyone willing to sacrifice that much for any cause.

To take a knee during the anthem is a mere symbolic gesture at best, and annoying at worst.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I would challenge them, if they believe that strongly in protest, to take a knee during the game.

I would admire the crap out of anyone willing to sacrifice that much for any cause.

To take a knee during the anthem is a mere symbolic gesture at best, and annoying at worst.

I think we both know that won't happen. Too much money at stake.

At the very least, doing something that helps his cause would be nice. And he would do even better at bringing people on board if he didn't alienate his fans.
edit on 26-9-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

I think it's sad that so many people let one man influence them so much. Trump is a cult of personality and his sociopathic attitude rubs off on those who support him.

Just my opinion of course.
edit on 9/26/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

You seem to have a lot of those lately..

But I'm probably the last guy that should be telling you that.

VIVA LA FREEDOM!!!

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I think it's sad that so many people let one man influence them so much. Trump is a cult of personality and his sociopathic attitude rubs off on those who support him.

I know, he's just a man. Now you have entire football teams kneeling during their own anthems in order to defy him.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: kyleplatinum

Protests are always done in defiance of "civil behavior".

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Protests are always done in defiance of "civil behavior".

So is sociopathy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join