It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speaking in tongues I just dont get it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Can someone please enlighten me what is going on in this video because I just don't get it:

The spirit doesn't move me to understand what speaking in tongues means.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

It seems to be people that have never had a conscious altering experience suddenly consumed by a momentary inspiring awe of surrender and being "filled with the spirit," in their minds. There are many paths to altered consciousness, drugs, dance, fasting, meditation, drumming and faith. It is sometimes such a relief to surrender all control for the first time,that one can only babble, drool, pass out, tremble ect...

Hey as long as they don't try and control others,(wait a minute..)let them have their spirited epiphanies I suppose?
edit on 2pmf30433330 by waftist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

That is 'the point' of speaking in 'tongues' so the Sassanach (Outlander) cannot tell what is being said but that is the literal definition. As this deals with "religion™" then I'd opine at the end of the 'jibberish' the One who 'channeled the Spirit' would be chugging different spirits and telling anyone who'll listen that they are deep with the light, so like MOST CHURCHES™ this is part of the 'build up' to either gather more folks to "The Flock™" or garner more contribution$ for same..

The next video would explain that the next video You'd be further along in actually understanding the communique (YES. You can be just like them for $19.95 but if You buy now "They'll" add another for FREE then it becomes a monthly bill; monthly tape and for 'The Church™' a monthly "gifting"...)

Thumbnail: Just think about doing things Jesus The Christ would be the most vocal opponent and there You have it.

Or

Akin to "Step #1 What can Scientology™ do for you? This after You flunked the 'Stress Test'...

Granted I didn't actually watch the video but have seen similar spiels and because each Church™ is "different" this actually makes them the "same" so no need "ALL Indians walk single file, at least the only One I knew did..."

Its a Koan, it is ALL a Koan.

Stay Hydrated...

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Jesus Christ and I thought I was nuts...

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

It's an expression from the soul (or inner mind if you don't like the word "soul.")
Is there a reason to try to discredit it? (Usually.)
Is it very different from a vocal prayer whether done by an individual or group that speaks to a God or hears from one?
Is it different than gazing intently at a cross or Buddha and finding a deep meaning?
How about shouting the name of a god-like figure as you find yourself in a position of near death or causing death?

Then there is the usual claim that ancient languages were checked and none seem to match the utterances of the enthralled. There have been probably thousands of different languages spoken by ancient Christian. But who cares?

The meaning for those folks is in the experiencing of what ever they are experiencing.
BTW: Not to be taken literally.

I'm not religious, but tend to allow others to placate themselves with their religions if it is harmless enough both to them and me. How about you?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

When I was young I used to speak in tongues for fun,
Running round with snakes,chasing the nuns, screaming at the top of my lungs,an every now and then one would lunge, it's the ruler for troubled children,well that and chewing gum laced with ridilen, so instead of laughing and giggling, I'm spinning while I'm fidgeting, so I say , go ahead and play, speak in tongues for fun , Chase the nuns,while your young, keep screaming at the top of your lungs....

Wait... what?

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
it's when Jesus and God both stop everything they are doing, like saving starving kids, and saving souls destined for hell and they put all their energy into a person in a church who feels like they just aren't getting enough attention. It's a way for God and his boy to give back a little to those who are super holy and even go to church on Wednesday nights. (If you don't miss more than 2 Wednesdays in a year, you get a plaque.)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Since you have, so far, only gotten vague replies about people's personal beliefs, I'll tell you the Biblical aspect.

People who pray in tongues have a gift - SOMETIMES - they're speaking a holy language that only special people the listeners have an ear to hear.
If an INTEPRETER is present then this edifies them both as the gifts work together to reveal a message from.another place. If an INTERPRETER is NOT present then speaking in tongues is forbidden and NOT holy. People who babble in front of others have no place in church. They edify only themselves.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

This is also interesting, and in a similar vein. The videos I've seen of people speaking in tongues also shows them and others being "filled with the holy spirit". As an atheist, I don't really believe there is anything spiritual about it. At least as far as the religious explanations for it go. But is speaking in tongues/being filled with the holy spirit strictly a Christian thing?

Holy Spirit or Hindu Spirit

I was at my computer once, while my mother and her husband were having a Bible study with one of my brothers and cousin. They went into prayer and all of the sudden my mom's husband busted out into tongues. Caught me off guard..

My two cents is, it's people allowing themselves to be worked into some mental ferver. Not some babel (heh) from the Lord to be decrypted by the "reciever".

edit on 9-26-2017 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The first time speaking in tongues was mentioned in the bible it is a reference to the Pentecost in New Testament. All the disciples and Jesus mother ( maybe other women there as well )...were given the Holy Spirit . Some began to speak in " tongues ", which were actually other languages . This was at a religious time for the many Jews gathered and many heard their own language .

Speaking in tongues is not for babble... there is supposed to be a holy interpretation of the words used.
This is what I've been taught about this , but if anyone has more insight or would like to correct me, please feel free. I'm open to learning more on this topic.

This video is disturbing to watch because it's pure hysteria , and in no way is an example of truly speaking in tongues. Bunch of hysterical attention seekers in my opinion.
edit on 26-9-2017 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Very common in tamil sivam culture . Existed long long time befor existance of jews. Let alone bible.

Ones i was at this temple apprantly build on a earths strong magnatic point, during the prayers, drumming reached the certain point.. i could feel my soul vibrating away from my body. Lot of women starting to go nuts.. I have to leave the aria due to dont want to end up in youtube.

We call it " hitting uru state " uru means your inner self probably u don't even know about. People do very dodgy stuff during the this state.. google it.
edit on 26-9-2017 by Pandaram because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Also... if u take the 'his'story out of religion, budda disappeared at 30 and jesus appeared at 30. Preaching same stuff. If true, speaking in tongue introduced from budda. Budda spoke pratkirt. Pratkirt is broken tamil.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Here in Nashville it seems like every church has tons of people doing this. They are not speaking in any Earth languages, I'd be able to recognize it most likely.

I never seen anyone do this till I got here, and it's incredibly widespread here.
I've been all over town and visited dozens and dozens of churches, so it's wild that you'll see this virtually everywhere here.
I've been around the USA and never really seen it being done like that anywhere else for the most part.

I personally do not like it, but to each their own.
Do whatever you want I guess.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Speaking in tongues is supposed to be one of the gifts of the Spirit, as in Holy Spirit. It's a reference to Pentecost when the Holy Spirit first descended to the twelve apostles as tongues of flame and they started all speaking in different languages (called tongues in the Bible).

For some sects, it's supposed to be a required sign of be indwelt by the Holy Spirit, but for others, it's just one of the possible gifts of the Spirit and not required. Personally, those sects that require it sort of seem to me to be requiring an earthly sort of litmus test for one's believe and salvation,but who knows? Maybe the Holy Spirit does compel you to speak in tongues as a sure-fire way of testing/proving your salvation.

I do think it's entirely possible to walk in perfect faith and have the Holy Spirit without demonstrating that one gift though.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
Can someone please enlighten me what is going on in this video because I just don't get it:

The spirit doesn't move me to understand what speaking in tongues means.

Yeah, pay no attention to this video for now....

All you have to do is be extremely sincere, closecyour eyes, raise your hands and ask God the Father to fill you with His Spirit.......

If you got the guts to do so...and if I were you, do it in private

After a brief moment....there shouldn't be any questions about this subject your stuck on...

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
After doing some refreshing on what I recalled, there are around nine gifts of the Holy Spirit.

We are free to pray to God to allow us to use them as He sees fit. In other words, the gifts, one or all, are given to use at His discretion. A person my prophecy once and never again. A person my heal two or three times and do so genuinely, but then never do so again. These gifts are always used at God's will as He sees fit to allow us to access them.

It takes a large degree of humility to acknowledge that.

We may always pray to for God to send the gifts of the Spirit to us, but it will always happen through Him at His will. "Thy will be done ..."

The more important aspect is to reflect the fruits of the Spirit in your life. Those are qualities of being that indicate that the presence of the Holy Spirit, and through it, God are at work in your day to day life.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 03:30 AM
link   

It doesn't mean what they think it means! In the Bible, when such a gift is mentioned, it's as a KNOWN language. Meaning, for example, if you spoke French, and were preaching, and someone listening spoke German, they would hear German, as you spoke. Groups such as in the video like to claim that their mutterings are a "spiritual gift", and that only those who do it are "truly saved", but that's not accurate.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 05:36 AM
link   
No habla jibber-jabber.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
From my point of view.

A human body has a level of creativity that can be increased depending on how the brain is energized. Low energy level in the brain makes low creative outlet. Higher energy level and a part of the unconscious can start to play around with sound creating speech or music. Some souls play these games for hours normally with an low level bliss feeling pulsating thru their bodies making the body very relaxed.

top topics

join