It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Fixing" the National Football League's Political Problem

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: introvert

...since they have chosen to put themselves in a position contrary to the traditionally social issue neutrality professional sports leagues have adopted over the past 30 years...

They didn't. It was thrust on them by a pompous president that used them to make points with his base. This benign protest was barely mentioned this year until Trump opened his big mouth to inflame the situation. It wasn't even a pimple before his words. Barely a blemish but now, due to HIM, we have a seeping boil.

Very true. This was not a political issue. It was a social issue and someone outside the NFL made it political.

Bull! Disrespecting the anthem and flag isn't 'political'???

Freaking amazing level of denial..New heights.

It's a political issue on a social issue. I can't see how you could have one without the other in this instance.

If it's a social issue, then leave the flag and anthem out of it. Can't separate it? It's BEEN separate until this move. All it's done is disaffect millions from any empathy from the 'apparent' social one.

Don't blame Canada. Blame Trump.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

www.dailywire.com... 316-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro

Apparently, there's more angst than support for these guys. Not to mention ratings have dropped sufficiently for NBC and CBS that they've had to repay some of their advertising revenues to the advertisers due to the fallout.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: darepairman
a reply to: burdman30ott6

This is not aimed at you OP but all I can think of is why are we even giving a crap about this? What are we not seeing because we are so distracted with this and Trump is making it huge, is this just entertainment while they prime up to something big? I don't know but things are strange.

The "outrage" over what the President said seemed disproportionate to what he actually said. Some seemed to be more up in arms over him calling a faceless protesting player a "son of a bitch" while others seemed more outraged over him voicing an opinion in the first place. Bottom line here, Trump has a populist opinion and used a mild profanity... tell us something we didn't already know quite well. If it was DC trying to play the shell game, I have to believe it would have been something more controversial said or done by the President... unless it's the media and the NFL who are trying to divert peoples' attention away from something.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Apparently, there's more angst than support for these guys. Not to mention ratings have dropped sufficiently for NBC and CBS that they've had to repay some of their advertising revenues to the advertisers due to the fallout.

So upset that people are making a peaceful protest during the national anthem by taking the knee, these 'patriotic fans' decided to boo during the anthem? An act that is infinitely more disrespectful than a peaceful political protest.

Nice.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: darepairman

This is not aimed at you OP but all I can think of is why are we even giving a crap about this? What are we not seeing because we are so distracted with this and Trump is making it huge, is this just entertainment while they prime up to something big? I don't know but things are strange.

The "outrage" over what the President said seemed disproportionate to what he actually said. Some seemed to be more up in arms over him calling a faceless protesting player a "son of a bitch" while others seemed more outraged over him voicing an opinion in the first place. Bottom line here, Trump has a populist opinion and used a mild profanity... tell us something we didn't already know quite well. If it was DC trying to play the shell game, I have to believe it would have been something more controversial said or done by the President... unless it's the media and the NFL who are trying to divert peoples' attention away from something.

To be fair do you not think it's much more likely Trump himself wanted to distract people from a whole bunch of really negative stories around him at the moment?

I mean everybody is now talking about the NFL instead of Jareds use of a private email server, instead of the failure to help the Puerto Ricans, instead of the failure of healthcare reform, instead of the failure to deal with North Korea...

Trump is the person benefiting most from this fuss no?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

a reply to: Grambler

But let's not pretend that when it comes to culture, the left dominated.

Rather it be sports, tv, movies, music, etc, all of this is dominated by the left.

No, it's not dominated by the Left. It's dominated by the few that are most vocal.

That is just not true.

So you would contend that most sports stars, sports media, actors, and muscians that are popular are actually not left leaning?

I contend that they are all individuals and have their own opinions. We have no way of actually stating which way they lean as entire groups and the only reason people continue to even care about it is because it falls in to their persecution complex.

They feel people and groups of people are against them or out to get them.

Its not a huge deal, so I am not going to argue.

I think that almost evryone, including the group's in mention, would admit that places like Hollywood and sports media are overwhelmingly left wing.

I would only wish that some people would admit that they think Hollywood and other groups lean Left wing because that has been the propaganda they have been subjected to since the 80's.

I don't know what to say.

Just take the Emmys. Do you really think that most of that crowd wasn't left leaning?

I am not in a position to make such an assumption. I don't know who the vast majority of them are, let alone their political stance.

Do you?

Well the ones speaking were quite clear.

But that's fine if that's what you feel.

So you agree with what I said earlier. It is those that are vocal that dominate what we hear/see.

I assume you also make no judgements on the leanings of evangelicals, or any other group.

Other than they are evangelicals, no. I make no judgments on them as a whole, because they are all individuals and individually different.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
Trump is the person benefiting most from this fuss no?

If that was the intent, he lucked out because I can't see him believing the comments would lead to the level of media angst we've seen over it. That was my point... if he said what he said just to generate a distraction, then he can either tell the future or is the luckiest man in politics. Occam's Razor would seem to indicate the comments weren't part of anything deeper than Trump saying whatever is on his mind at any given time and the reaction is just the latest in an long series of reactionary knee jerks by various groups against anything he vocalizes.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

...since they have chosen to put themselves in a position contrary to the traditionally social issue neutrality professional sports leagues have adopted over the past 30 years...

They didn't. It was thrust on them by a pompous president that used them to make points with his base. This benign protest was barely mentioned this year until Trump opened his big mouth to inflame the situation. It wasn't even a pimple before his words. Barely a blemish but now, due to HIM, we have a seeping boil.

Very true. This was not a political issue. It was a social issue and someone outside the NFL made it political.

No. I believe they were making a statement on a social issue until others made it political.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

No. I believe they were making a statement on a social issue until others made it political.

Out of curiosity, is the National Anthem political? Do people respect it for social reasons, or do they respect it for political reasons, or is it both? Partisan is only a component of a larger political umbrella, making the two non-interchangeable. I think the argument can be made that others made the protest partisan, but it was absolutely a political protest from the get-go. At the very least, it latched onto a political aspect of American culture to push the desired agenda of social change. If the ones protesting had desired to keep this purely social, then there are plenty of purely non-political forums to do that on, including interviews, social media, and *gasp* social activism demonstrations.

It raises a good question, though... are the actions of the police, a group whose authority is born out of the political structure and tenants of our nation, a social construct or a political construct? Personally, I think we're splitting hairs and the social versus political argument is ridiculous, as it is impossible to separate the two on this particular issue.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Out of curiosity, is the National Anthem political?

I do not think so. It's an anthem born out of war.

Do people respect it for social reasons, or do they respect it for political reasons, or is it both?

I'd say both, mixed in with a bit of patriotism and tradition.

At the very least, it latched onto a political aspect of American culture to push the desired agenda of social change. If the ones protesting had desired to keep this purely social, then there are plenty of purely non-political forums to do that on, including interviews, social media, and *gasp* social activism demonstrations

Maybe this was their social demonstration.

It raises a good question, though... are the actions of the police, a group whose authority is born out of the political structure and tenants of our nation, a social construct or a political construct? Personally, I think we're splitting hairs and the social versus political argument is ridiculous, as it is impossible to separate the two on this particular issue.

Fair enough. I think the entire ordeal is ridiculous. Who cares if someone kneels? It's just a song. Who cares about football? It's bread and circus.

And who cares if many get offended if someone kneels when it's played? Oh no! How dare they...give me a break.

People are too soft these days and get their panties twisted over stupid #.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz

So upset that people are making a peaceful protest during the national anthem by taking the knee, these 'patriotic fans' decided to boo during the anthem? An act that is infinitely more disrespectful than a peaceful political protest.

Nice.

Nice try. You know perfectly well what and who they were booing. It's typical of the left to use two standards, perfectly fine to kneel, but disrespectful to boo the kneeling individuals. Laughable.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Believe as you will.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
1) 64% of the US fans say this is bullsh**
2) Attendance at home games of these teams is dropping rapidly
3) NFL fans are boycotting their teams that participate

Dont discuss politics or religion at work

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

You mean they're tearing up their season tickets? LOL

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   

a reply to: introvert

Sorry I misunderstood.

You said "someone" as in singualar, so I thought you were implying trump.

Yes, people on both sides have used this issue, that's true.

But let's not pretend that when it comes to culture, the left dominated.

Rather it be sports, tv, movies, music, etc, all of this is dominated by the left.

This protest is a flashpoint because the sports media, and atheletes in the NFL have been celebrating these protests, and it turns out that many of the viewers of the NFL don't like it.

I also think trump shouldbt have commented, but the NFL took the bait, and people are fed up with what they view as a lack of respect for the country.

I think most people don't care.

I think a small minority of NFL fans are actually bothered by this.

I think any fans they lose will be replaced by new fans on other side of the issue.

I think most people claiming to boycott the NFL are lying and many are probably paid trolls.

I think every person I thought was crazy before Trump ever entered the picture is a Trump fan.

I think if the Trumpsters ever tried to attempt a violent takeover they would end up just killing themselves as they fought over how to go about it.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Since the money has already been spent , no.
They are just not going

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
1) 64% of the US fans say this is bullsh**
2) Attendance at home games of these teams is dropping rapidly

Dont discuss politics or religion at work

NFL=no fans left

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
And now DirectTV is allowing you to cancel your Sunday Ticket, just call and complain on all the "crappy politics" going on...

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: windword

Since the money has already been spent , no.
They are just not going

Sure! And billionaire CEO are donating their NIKE T-Shirts to AmVets in protest against the protests! OUCH!

True story! LOL

edit on 27-9-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I am not into any sports football or other .
But going by these reply'a I expect NFL to be dieing a quick painful death .
PS have always thought it was stupid how the players and owners could take such easy advantage of fans .

Seams they over did it finlly and fans are showing displeasure by not attending .
Does not matter if you think the players can or cant do this or that it does matter when ten million fans say no .
Wrong place wrong time so say the fans .
I can say how its ok with me ( really don't care neel stand what ever but they don't make a dime from me and being a business he who pays says how its done .

they want these fans ( well look like the fans want them standing . ) My advice is give them what they want or you just wont be a business much longer .
Mean wile the rest of you can blame Trump .

In the news Trump single handed brings down the NFL ( the fans not wanting displays only plays had no impact what so ever .
Trump Is the most powerful president ever immange taht
edit on 27-9-2017 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join