It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a piece of advice it you looking to buy android based devices this holiday season

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
be careful just because a phone or a tablet are samsung or other well known brands does not guarantee you are going to get a good quality device. i recently bought a replacement phone and tabelet from walmart and both of them would not play games i had been playing for several years turns outthat both had old versons of android operating system specifically the kitkat os and surprise most of google play apps are not compatible and i can't . update tab or phone unless i get someone to root them which if unsuccessful mite kill my devices

i overlooked some much cheaper tablets some of them cost a third of what mine did only to find out after i got home they would have worked better because they came with android marshmallow os .
why are stores allowed to sell stuff for top dollar with outdated an unsupported os? if they sold a lap top at 00 dollars with windows xp someone would have it all over the news.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

Ermmm, caveat emptor?

There was no wrong doing unless the packaging misrepresented the product, and that includes the operating system version.

And honestly, WalMart is going to sell a mix of good stuff, as well as substandard crap, to be perfectly honest.

Would they accept the goods for a refund? Is it within their policies that you can expect a refund? Did you look?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I'm going through the same sort of issues. I'm an avid writer mostly half drafts and short stories etc. and have been looking for a cheap tablet that I could take to work with me, cheap because I work in a school and there are many with sticky fingers (both students and staff - we had a cancer trust pot stolen from the staff room a few months back) so don't wanna invest a lot of money but every time I come across a cheap one (almost always android based) it gets terrible reviews. It isn't that I don't want to fork out the money, I own an Ipad (second or third gen can't remember) a kindle, an iPhone etc. so it's not like I don't want to spend the money, it's like I said I'm not willing to buy something expensive knowing there is a major risk of it going walkies.

(Fork out - Pay for / Walkies - Stolen : Just to help out in case people don't know what they mean, already had that problem lol).

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33
be careful just because a phone or a tablet are samsung or other well known brands does not guarantee you are going to get a good quality device. i recently bought a replacement phone and tabelet from walmart and both of them would not play games i had been playing for several years turns outthat both had old versons of android operating system specifically the kitkat os and surprise most of google play apps are not compatible and i can't . update tab or phone unless i get someone to root them which if unsuccessful mite kill my devices

The operating system and the device's hardware quality are two different things. You can update and/or replace the operating system. Why can't you update the phone or tablet? You should be able to do that.
Just out of curiosity, what phone and tablet did you get exactly? Walmart isn't exactly the place to get quality electronics.

why are stores allowed to sell stuff for top dollar with outdated an unsupported os? if they sold a lap top at 00 dollars with windows xp someone would have it all over the news.

It's Walmart, what did you expect?
I bought a perfectly functioning laptop with 8gb of RAM, an i5 quad-core processor, and Windows 7 for like $240 off Amazon. My smartphone is 3 years old, has some better specs than the brand-new iCr@p phone, and the battery lasts like 5 times longer. It's also practically unbreakable. I literally threw it on the floor once (it was actually a freak accident) and it didn't have a dent on it... Meanwhile, iTards shatter their phones just from dropping them. Oh yeah, the operating system is completely up to date.
The point is, there are lots of perfectly good devices out there, but you probably won't find them at Walmart. Walmart sells cheap junk. Do some research before you buy.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dwoodward85

I'm going through the same sort of issues. I'm an avid writer mostly half drafts and short stories etc. and have been looking for a cheap tablet that I could take to work with me, cheap because I work in a school and there are many with sticky fingers (both students and staff - we had a cancer trust pot stolen from the staff room a few months back) so don't wanna invest a lot of money but every time I come across a cheap one (almost always android based) it gets terrible reviews. It isn't that I don't want to fork out the money, I own an Ipad (second or third gen can't remember) a kindle, an iPhone etc. so it's not like I don't want to spend the money, it's like I said I'm not willing to buy something expensive knowing there is a major risk of it going walkies.

(Fork out - Pay for / Walkies - Stolen : Just to help out in case people don't know what they mean, already had that problem lol).

HERE you go. Cheap tablets.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Ruddy hell, those are cheap lol Thanks very much.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Quite obviously you have not even shopped Walmart's on line selection. There selections compare with any dealer, Best Buy, and Amazon with free shipping if over $25. A month ago I got a fine price from WM on a quality little Samsung smart TV.

To the OP: if you don't know enough to check the type of OS, then there is nobody to blame but yourself. That info is as important and maybe more important than any other aspect of your search. If a gamer, you probably already knew that games (which are updated frequent) and a check should always be made about compatibility between OS and the game intended for it.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   
If you want to update your phone or tablet go to settings > then find About Phone or About Tablet.. scroll all the way down and click on it > then find system updates > then check update.

You might need a full battery or place it charging. Find WiFi for it download fast and you'll be able to play your games once again.

Not many tablets or phones are going to be sold up to date. Maybe some were in the back were no one got them or stocked them. Then time passed by and the updates came. So, it's nobody's fault actually. Just needed a quick fix

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: trollzbecause it is not able to i have tied updaing it already it is a galaxy TABElite that cost over 120 at my local walmart they had no tabs on display just cards with name and prices because they remodeling the store it did not have os name on card found out later walmart sells same tab in black for 200 bucks with marshmallow op sytem. so i know my tab can run it but i got to take it to somebody that knows how to root it.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: luciferslightwill not update os is greyed out will not let you highlight it and if you hit check for updates it will update everything but os

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

a reply to: luciferslightwill not update os is greyed out will not let you highlight it and if you hit check for updates it will update everything but os

I did a quick google search. They never released an update for the Galaxy TAB E Lite.

Next time you buy a tablet, try googling what it is and add "review" to the search. It looks like the Tab E Lite was the lowest end model of the TAB they released.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Hey thx.

I wouldn't take anything under 10 inches.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ADSE255

Funny, thats what my wife told me when we met long long ago

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79walmart does have same Elite tab with marshmallow in black instead of white but they charging a hundred dollars more because its black and has better os.probably going to load up with kiddie games and movies so thee year old has something to watch on trips. cause if i root it i mite kill it. i will either get screen on my 10 inch replaced or get an rca 1 for 59 bucks with marshmallow.

new topics

top topics

join